Byron Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Whether you enjoy bicycle riding as a leisure activity, exercise, work or run errands, it is a fast, easy and enjoyable way to get around town. Accidents can happen anywhere, and when caused by a negligent driver, bad roadway, or for another reason, you may be able to recover compensation.
If you have been hurt in a bicycle accident in Byron or elsewhere in Contra Costa County, reach out to our experienced injury attorneys at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation.Obtaining Help to Recover Damages After a Bicycle Accident Injury
Bicycle injuries are often severe and can result in hospitalization, possible surgeries, an extended recuperative period, and pain and suffering. A Byron bicycle accident attorney will assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve after such an incident. Anyone who is injured by another's negligent actions shouldn't also have to bear the financial burden.
Our injury lawyers have successfully handled many claims over the years, alleviating the financial burden that often accompanies an injury to a bicyclist. Our bicycle accident lawyers in Byron can help when you call us at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400. We charge you nothing until we've won your case.Facts and Figures About Bicycle Accidents
In 2019, 846 bicyclists lost their lives, and over 49,000 were injured, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. Bicycle accidents cause six times more injuries or deaths in males than females. These serious accidents are most common in urban areas (78 percent). That same year in Byron, the latest year that statistics are provided by the California Office of Traffic Safety, 44 bicycle riders were injured or killed while out riding. Ten of those people were children under the age of 15.Contacting a Bicycle Accident Attorney in Byron
If a person is involved in an accident while riding a bicycle, they can sustain serious injuries. When facing high medical bills and additional expenses, a Byron bicycle accident lawyer can assist you in obtaining the compensation you deserve. An accident involving a bicycle and a vehicle can be complex, and sometimes the driver and their insurance provider will deny responsibility for the accident.
Additionally, a third party may also be liable if the vehicle was driven for work or owned by government agencies. At AutoAccident.com, Our bike accident lawyers handle your case with the experience, tenacity, and determination necessary to succeed.Many Bicycle Injury Accidents Are Caused by Negligent Motorists
In many collisions involving bicycles, the motor vehicle driver claims not to have seen the cyclist. Nonetheless, motorists must watch out for bicycle riders on the road to ensure their safety. In negligence cases, the driver may be responsible for injuries suffered by the rider or liable for wrongful death if the cyclist dies due to the crash. Driver negligence can result in bicycle accidents in a variety of ways, but the following are the most common ones:
- Injuries involving bicycle riders commonly occur when motorists turn right at an intersection. If scanning to the left to see oncoming traffic, the driver may not notice that a bicyclist is in the middle of the crosswalk.
- When bicycle riders disregard California's three-foot distance law, they are more likely to be injured in accidents. In addition, drivers who fail to check for cyclists when making a right turn into the bicycle lane cause serious collisions.
- A common accident caused by a motorist occurs when they are making a left turn and hit a bicycle rider crossing the street. Drivers tend to forget to check if a cyclist is passing through the crosswalk because they are concentrating on their left turn and possibly looking for other vehicles. Before making a left turn, drivers should ensure they know the location of everyone at the intersection and in the crosswalk.
- If they are not cautious, cars can easily hit bicyclists exiting a side street or parking lot. A driver who fails to check their rear-view and side mirrors before backing up is the most common cause of this accident.
- Parallel parking can cause an accident with a bicycle rider if the driver isn't cautious. Bicyclists can suffer broken bones or serious head trauma after being hit by a door opening on the street side by the driver or the passenger.
- A rear-end collision with a bicycle rider is one of the most dangerous accidents. The reason is that the rider is thrown from the bike, which could lead to severe injuries. Distracted or fatigued drivers, as well as those who have been drinking,, are most likely to strike bicycles from behind.
Whenever you are injured in a bicycle accident by a negligent driver, you will likely face high medical fees, the inability to work, and emotional and physical pain. The following are the types of compensation that bicycle accident sufferers may recover with the help of an injury attorney:
- Medical: All medical expenses associated with the accident are recoverable, such as hospitalization, ambulance fees, surgeries, tests, medications, etc. A settlement will include the cost of future medical treatment if the injury continues.
- Wages: Wages lost due to the injured party's inability to work, including tips, bonuses, insurance, pension benefits, and other amounts, can be recovered. Tax records and further proof of income can determine wage loss if the individual is self-employed. The difference is added to their claim when the individual returns to work but is forced to take a lower-paying job due to their injury. Should a permanent disability occur so the injured party cannot return to work, wages and other additions are calculated until retirement.
- Pain and suffering: The law grants you the ability to recover damages for your pain and suffering, emotional distress, and consortium loss. If you suffered extreme psychological or emotional effects from the accident, such as reliving the crash over and over, nightmares, anxiety, and other symptoms that require professional treatment, that is recoverable also.
- Punitive damages: In cases where the accident was especially egregious or intentionally caused, the injured bicyclist may ask to be awarded punitive damages. Punitive damages are awarded to the injured party as punishment for the offender and to discourage such behavior.
Personal injury cases require an investigation to gather the evidence necessary to support them. Among the areas of investigation we cover are:
- Our investigators go to the accident scene as soon as possible to take photos and examine the area for evidence such as dropped pieces of metal or paint marks that indicate the make and model of the vehicle.
- They perform accident reconstruction, which explains how the collision occurred and where the vehicle and bicycle rider appeared at the time of the crash.
- The report about the accident issued by the police is checked for errors.
- The investigators interview any witnesses to the bicycle injury accident.
- Surveillance cameras are examined to see if they captured the collision.
After collecting evidence, our injury attorneys build a compelling case on behalf of our clients. This evidence can be used in court or negotiations with the insurance company.
In the following video, injury lawyer Ed Smith offers some tips on how you can find the right attorney to handle your case:Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Byron, CA
For free and friendly legal advice, call our Bryon bicycle accident lawyers at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400. If you prefer to message us, you can use our online form. By setting up a free virtual or in-person consultation, you can have your case reviewed, discover how you can recover maximum compensation, and ask any questions you have. Look over our Verdicts and Settlements page if you wish to find out how we have helped others.
:cd  bw