Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident is often traumatic and unexpected. Following a collision, you may be overwhelmed by emotional, physical, and financial hardship. Fortunately, you don't have to struggle with the consequences of a car crash on your own. If the other driver was responsible for the incident, an experienced accident attorney can help you file a bodily injury claim and demand compensation for losses incurred.
If you were injured in a traffic collision in Sacramento County, speak with our top car accident lawyers to learn how we can help you recover compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, and other losses. Call us at (916) 921-6400 for free, friendly advice on your personal injury case.
Our seasoned car accident lawyers at AutoAccident.com charge no upfront fees. We handle cases on a contingency fee basis, which means you don't owe us anything unless we successfully win your case. Our injury attorneys have recovered tens of millions in compensation for our clients.
Since 1982, our Sacramento personal injury law firm has stood up to difficult car insurance companies on behalf of our clients. We know how critical a settlement can be following a serious motor vehicle crash. Our legal team will put our decades of experience to work for you. If you would like to learn more about how we can help, call our seasoned injury attorneys today to arrange a free consultation.Sacramento Car Accidents Statistics
According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), there were 3,217 injury and fatal road accidents in Sacramento in 2018. Of these auto collisions, there were:
- 536 speed-related crashes
- 343 crashes involving alcohol
- 295 hit and run collisions
- 249 car vs. pedestrian accidents
- 223 crashes involving cyclists
- 122 collisions involving motorcyclists
- Arden Way and Interstate 80
- Fair Oaks Boulevard and Howe Avenue
- Franklin Boulevard and Broadway
- Fruitridge Road and Franklin Boulevard
- Highway 99 and US-50 Interchange
- Power Inn Road and Folsom Boulevard
- State Route 99 and 12th Avenue
- SR-160 and Richards Boulevard
- Sutterville Road and Franklin Boulevard
- West El Camino Avenue and Northgate Boulevard
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has reported that human error is responsible for 94 percent of crashes every year. Some of the common reasons include:
- Drunk driving
- Falling asleep behind the wheel
- Running red lights or stop signs
- Texting and driving
- Weaving in and out of traffic
No matter how safe a driver you are, you can still get into a traffic accident. When this happens, the initial steps you take may impact your ability to recover financial compensation. To protect yourself and your loved ones, follow these crucial steps:
- Stay at the scene of the car wreck
- Check yourself and others for injuries
- Request medical attention at the scene if needed
- Report the road crash to local law enforcement
- Ask responding officers for a traffic accident report
- Exchange contact information with the other driver
- Look for witnesses and request their contact information
- Take pictures of visible injuries and the automobile accident scene
- Contact your auto insurance company to report the auto collision immediately
- Be consistent with medical treatment, including following orders from your doctor
- Contact the best car accident lawyer in Sacramento for legal representation
- Do not post about the accident on social media until your bodily injury claim has resolved
Watch the video below for information on the types of factors that may impact the value of a personal injury case.Common Causes of Car Accidents
Our personal injury law firm often handles the following types of motor vehicle collision cases:
- Distracted Driving: A driver who diverts their attention off the road may increase their chances of striking other cars. Common forms of distracted driving include texting or talking on a cell phone, eating, applying makeup, and more.
- Drunk Drivers: Intoxicated motorists cause many traffic crashes, including catastrophic ones resulting in serious injury or fatality. When this happens in California, an auto accident lawyer may seek punitive damages from the at-fault party.
- Hit and Run Accidents: When a motorist crashes into another party and flees the scene of the incident, an injury lawyer can help the injured individual track down the at-fault party by retaining a private investigator for the case.
- Rear-End Collisions: These are among the most common kinds of motor vehicle crashes. Rear-end collisions have the potential to result in severe trauma such as cervical sprain and spinal cord injuries.
- Road Defects: Uneven pavement, potholes, and other dangerous roadway conditions may cause drivers to lose control of their vehicle and crash through no fault of their own. If that is the case, an auto accident lawyer in Sacramento can bring a government entity claim against the public agency in charge of designing and maintaining the road.
- Speeding: A common factor involved in vehicular accidents causing serious injury and wrongful death is speeding. This involves a motorist driving above the posted speed limit or too fast for road conditions.
- Motor Vehicle Defects: Automakers have a legal duty to design and manufacture vehicles that meet federal safety guidelines. One example of a defective vehicle is a fault in the fuel system in which may lead to a car fire or explosion after a traffic accident. Conversely, a defective battery in an electric car may also cause a vehicle to catch fire or engulf in flames. Before an auto products liability claim may be brought, the vehicle in question must be kept and preserved until an accident attorney has examined it for potential defects. To learn more, contact an experienced and top-rated auto fire lawyer in Sacramento to discuss your potential options for financial recovery.
If personal injury damages exceed the minimum liability insurance coverage required by California law, this may be an issue. Minimum auto liability limits required in California include:
- $15,000 per person for serious injury or wrongful death
- $30,000 for all parties involved in the traffic accident
- $5,000 property damage
Our auto accident attorneys in Sacramento County can help you seek full and fair compensation for your injuries and damages incurred. To learn more about how we can help you, contact our law firm today to schedule a free consultation with one of our injury lawyers regarding your potential accident claim.Who is Responsible for My Injuries in a Motor Vehicle Accident?
The insurance company representing the at-fault driver is generally responsible for compensating parties harmed by their insured’s negligence. Some drivers may have insufficient liability coverage for bodily injury or none at all.
The procedures for filing an uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) claim are often challenging. Fortunately, the best car accident lawyer in Sacramento can help simplify the process. Furthermore, uninsured motorist claims may also be filed on behalf of a party seriously injured in a hit-and-run accident.What is the Personal Injury Claims Process in California?
Car accident cases are subject to strict criteria and filing deadlines. Below is an overview of the personal injury legal process in California:
- Bodily Injury Claim: It is essential to notify the insurer immediately after a serious accident. A bodily injury claim must be filed with the car insurance company within a reasonable amount of time. This may vary from carrier to carrier.
- Personal Injury Lawsuit: A claimant has two years from the date of a car wreck to file a lawsuit. If the claimant does not file an injury-related lawsuit in civil court or accept an insurance settlement offer within the two-year statute of limitations, they may lose the right to recover financial compensation.
- Government Entity Claim: If a car accident injury case involves government agency negligence, there is less time to file a claim. Under these circumstances, a claimant has six months or 180 days to file a notice of claim.
For a bodily injury claim, retaining legal counsel is often necessary because of the complex legal rules in California. For this reason, it is best to let a top-rated car accident lawyer in Sacramento take the stress out of the process so you can focus on recovering.Types of Personal Injury Compensation in a Car Crash Case
A personal injury attorney will prepare a demand letter to the auto insurance company. The demand letter will consider current and future projected economic and non-economic damages, such as:
- Cost of past medical bills
- Expenses for future medical treatment needed
- Lost wages and loss of future earning potential
- Accommodations for temporary or permanent disability
- Mental anguish and emotional distress
- Lost enjoyment of life
- Loss of consortium
- Pain and suffering
- Property damage
- Scarring and Disfigurement
Punitive damages, also called exemplary damages, are awarded in cases under specific circumstances. Punitive damages are designed to punish negligent parties for their wrongdoing. Exemplary damages also serve to discourage similar behavior from them and others in the future.
To recover exemplary damages for a car accident case under California Civil Code 3294, a skilled personal injury attorney must provide clear and convincing evidence that the at-fault party acted egregiously. This may include evidence of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI) or excessive speeding. Exemplary damages are generally awarded at the court’s discretion.How Comparative Fault Laws in California Affect Bodily Injury Claims
In California, fault or negligence determines who is responsible for paying damages after an accident. Conversely, California's comparative fault laws decide how negligence is apportioned in a personal injury or wrongful death case. A jury decides what percentage of the plaintiff’s own fault contributed to resulting damages in a personal injury lawsuit. To learn more about how comparative fault may play a role in your case, contact a top-rated Sacramento car accident lawyer today.Is There Legal Assistance for Veterans?
Our legal team offers veterans a 25% attorney’s fee for cases settled without litigation. The founder of our personal injury law firm, attorney Ed Smith, served in the United States Air Force in the airborne division in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. It would be our honor to provide legal representation to fellow veterans injured in motor vehicle accidents caused by negligent drivers.How Our Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
If you have been hurt or a family member was killed in a traffic accident in Sacramento County due to negligence, call our experienced legal team at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly and compassionate advice. Our personal injury lawyers are available anytime to provide a free case evaluation and explain your potential options for financial recovery.
Our law firm serves residents in Sacramento and throughout Northern California since 1982.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 10.7.21]
Image Source: By "Erdenebayar" via Pixabay
:ds [cs 1772] cha
- Amazon Delivery Accident Lawyer
- Auto Accident FAQ
- Avoid These Mistakes After a Car Accident
- Backover Accidents
- California Self-Driving Car Crash Causes Legal Concerns
- Car Accidents at the Airport
- Car Accidents Handled by a California Personal Injury Lawyer
- Chronic Vision Concerns and Impact on Driving
- Common Varieties of Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Coronavirus and a Car Accident?
- Elderly Drivers and Highway Safety
- Injuries Following an Auto Accident
- Innovative Vehicle Safety Features
- Laws on Automotive Repair in California
- Negligent Entrustment
- Sacramento Accidents & Street Laborers
- Sacramento Airplane Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Boat Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Bus Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Car Rental Accident Attorney
- Sacramento Construction Zone Car Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Electric Scooter Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Golf Cart Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Hit and Run Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Recreational Vehicle Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento School Bus Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Tractor Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Train Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Turo Accident Lawyer
- Sacramento Uber and Lyft Accident Lawyer
- Texting and Driving in California
- The Biology and Mechanics of Injuries in an Auto Accident
- The Correlations Between Seizures and Car Accidents
- The Epidemic of Medications and Car Accidents
- The Injury Healing Process after a Car Accident
- Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Arbitration
- What To Do After A Car Accident Ultimate Guide
- What to Do in a No-Injury Crash