Corning Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
In a small town like Corning, walking is a great way to get around town, go to work, and run errands. Despite this peaceful lifestyle, some of the most severe injuries are suffered by those on foot when they are hit by careless motorists. If a negligent driver hurts a pedestrian, the motorist must be held liable, and injured individuals can pursue compensation for their damages.
If you or a loved one has sustained catastrophic injuries in a pedestrian accident in Corning or elsewhere in Tehama County, call our experienced legal team at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation.California Pedestrian Laws
Due to little or no protection, a pedestrian is at a higher risk of suffering devastating injuries or death when hit by a vehicle. Many laws in California were enacted to protect pedestrians from tragic accidents. According to California Vehicle Code Section 29150, drivers must yield to someone crossing the road inside a marked crosswalk. If pedestrians walk outside a crosswalk, motorists must still be careful to prevent hitting them.National Statistics on Pedestrian Accidents
Traffic safety facts from the 2018 National Highway Traffic Safety Administration report showed:
- A pedestrian is killed in a traffic accident every 84 minutes.
- Pedestrian fatalities occurred 81 percent in urban areas and 19 percent in rural areas.
- 19 percent of those killed in pedestrian accidents involved hit-and-run drivers.
- 17 percent of minors 14 and under were killed in pedestrian accidents.
The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) showed some of our state's most dangerous roads for pedestrians. According to its 2018 statistics:
- Over 14,000 pedestrians were injured, and nearly 900 were killed.
- The pedestrian death rate in the Golden State is 25 percent higher than the national average.
Due to the number of pedestrian accidents, it is essential to understand why they happen. Some common causes include:
- Speeding: Drivers who are speeding cannot stop in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian.
- Failure to yield: Motor vehicle drivers often fail to yield to pedestrians.
- Distraction: Motorists are often distracted by texting or talking on cell phones.
- Failure to look when turning: Motorists who fail to look both ways when turning at an intersection are likely to hit a walker.
- Drunk driving: Inebriated drivers cannot control their vehicles.
- Limited visibility: Winding roads, overgrown foliage, or limbs can make seeing pedestrians entering a crossing zone difficult.
Knowing what to do if you are hit by a vehicle while walking is essential. If possible, you must take the following steps to ensure your rights:
- Take pictures of your injuries, the accident scene, and the car that hit you, including the license plate.
- Get the driver's contact and auto insurance information.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses.
- Ask law enforcement for a police report.
- Get medical treatment immediately. Some injuries may not appear for a few days or weeks after the accident.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- Consult with an experienced personal injury lawyer to discuss your legal options.
Our legal team at AutoAccident.com understands you have been through a traumatic experience. As your lawyers, we strive to make your life easier by handling the insurance paperwork, so you can focus on recovering. We have nearly four decades of successfully handling pedestrian accident claims for our injured clients.Why You Need an Injury Attorney for Your Pedestrian Accident Case
Being hurt in a pedestrian accident can be life-changing because you can be out of work for weeks, months, or even years. Pursuing compensation for your damages is crucial, and working with an experienced Corning pedestrian accident lawyer can be beneficial. Most insurance companies will offer settlements far less than what you deserve. Your attorney is your advocate and will negotiate with the insurance company to ensure you receive the maximum compensation you deserve.
Watch the YouTube video below for tips on choosing the best personal injury attorney for your pedestrian accident case.Call Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Corning, CA
Getting hit by a vehicle can be physically, emotionally, and financially traumatic. Filing a compensation claim can help you get your life back on track. You can trust our experienced Corning pedestrian accident lawyers to handle your case while you focus on your recovery. Call our law firm today at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly, and compassionate advice.
Our personal injury law firm has represented clients in Corning and Northern California since 1982.