Truckee Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
No matter how cautious a Truckee pedestrian is, traffic accidents are a common cause of injuries and fatalities. In 2018, the latest year for accident statistics by the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), 13 pedestrians were injured or killed in Nevada County. The problem for pedestrians is worsening.
If you or a family member has been injured in a pedestrian accident in Truckee due to a careless driver, call our legal experts at (530) 392-9400 for a free, no-obligation consultation.National Statistics on Pedestrian Injuries and Deaths
Statistics that indicate the rise in the number of injuries and fatalities include:
- Along California’s roadways, 893 pedestrians died in traffic collisions in 2018, an increase of 26 percent from 2014.
- From 2009 to 2018, almost 7,500 pedestrians died.
- The fatality rate for California pedestrians is nearly 25 percent higher than the nation’s average.
- More than 14,000 California pedestrians were injured in 2018 in motor vehicle collisions.
When a pedestrian is injured by a negligent motorist, they may be able to file a claim for compensation with the help of an injury attorney. For many years, AutoAccident.com has successfully upheld the rights of pedestrians to obtain the compensation they deserve. The majority are paid compensation through the negligent party’s insurance company. However, we can also take the claim to civil court if the insurance company doesn’t offer the injured client fair compensation.Major Causes of a Pedestrian Accident Injury or Fatality
Pedestrian traffic accidents caused by negligent drivers can occur for several reasons. Some of those reasons include:
- Distracted driving: Distracted driving is the number one cause of all types of accidents these days. The motorist may be texting or talking on a cell phone, eating, drinking, or putting on makeup. Any activity that takes the driver’s focus and hands off the roadway means they may not be able to react in time to avoid a collision with a pedestrian.
- Drunk driving: Drinking and driving cause many pedestrian accident injuries yearly, despite efforts to curtail this dangerous behavior. When a drunk driver injures a pedestrian, we can hold them responsible for a client’s losses, and punitive damages may be awarded in addition to other compensation.
- Speeding: Speeders cause many pedestrian accidents. Most of these collisions occur at intersections when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk. A speeder may not stop in time to avoid striking the person on foot, leading to severe injuries or a fatality.
- Red-light runners: Motorists who run red lights can easily cause an injury to a pedestrian. A personal injury lawyer can help hold them responsible for this lack of regard for others by obtaining compensation for their client to cover their monetary losses.
- Fatigued motorists: A fatigued driver acts in much the same way as someone inebriated, with reduced ability to react, blurred vision, and the inability to make quick decisions to avoid an accident with a pedestrian.
Watch the following video to learn more about why pedestrian deaths are rising.Consulting With Our Law Office After Your Pedestrian Accident
Our experienced injury attorneys have successfully handled many pedestrian injury cases. They have the ability, financial resources, and experience to successfully resolve your claim and obtain the compensation you deserve.What We Do to Help Injured Truckee Pedestrians
By making that free phone call to us, we can answer your questions, tell you whether you can file a claim, and show you what options are available to recover damages. If we can successfully handle your case, we’ll invite you to our Sacramento office to learn more about your claim and get to know you and your family.
This is because harm to one person involves the entire family, which we consider essential. We pay your travel expenses and for a hotel overnight so you and your family can meet with us, enjoy your remaining time in Sacramento, and head back home to Truckee the following day without any stress.Compensation Recoverable in a Truckee Pedestrian Accident
Those who are injured by a motorist or other entity may obtain the following in compensation:
- All medical costs, from ambulance services and hospital fees to physicians, prescriptions, tests, surgeries, and physical therapy, are recoverable. We can factor in those costs if the injury is expected to continue.
- Wages that were lost from the inability to work can be compensated.
- If the injured party has to take a lower-paying position because of their injury, the difference is factored into the compensation. Those who become permanently disabled and can no longer work are calculated until retirement.
- The spouse can recover the loss of consortium if the couple can no longer maintain their sexual relationship.
- Pain and suffering experienced during the collision and afterward can be compensated.
- Emotional trauma includes anxiety, depression, fear, and other emotions. Some injured parties develop post-traumatic stress disorder, which has to be treated by a professional.
- Loss of the enjoyment of life refers to activities the injured party enjoyed before and can no longer participate in.
- If the injury was intentional or especially egregious, filing for punitive damages under California Civil Code section 3294(a) may be allowed. The awards for punitive damages are in addition to your compensation and are often much higher.
Being injured in a pedestrian accident by a negligent driver can mean being hospitalized and out of work. However, the at-fault driver can be held responsible financially. Please contact our experienced Truckee pedestrian accident lawyers at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice.
See our past cases of Settlements and Verdicts.