Texting and Driving in California (with Infographic)
If you have been injured by someone who was texting and driving in the state of California feel free to reach out to me. I am Ed Smith, one of the highest rated auto accident personal injury attorneys in California with over 3 decades of experience. You may also read about the personal services I offer here on my page about personal injury.California Texting and Driving Infographic
Please share this with anyone who is at risk for texting and driving in California or anywhere in the world.
(You are also welcome to use this image on your own site as well, just reference this article for image attribution.)California Texting Laws
California vehicle code 23123.5 states: A person shall not drive a motor vehicle while using an electronic wireless communications device to write, send, or read a text-based communication, unless the electronic wireless communications device is specifically designed and configured to allow voice-operated and hands-free operation to dictate, send, or listen to a text-based communication, and it is used in that manner while driving. (reference – leginfo.ca.gov)Distracted Driving Statistics
- There are 2,758 Traffic fatalities every year in California. (reference chp.ca.gov)
- 18% of all fatal auto accidents and car wrecks are caused by distractions. (reference – fcc.gov)
- Reading text messages while driving involves visual, manual, and mental distraction.
- Reading a text takes your eyes off the road for 4.6 seconds (reference –distraction.gov)
- You can cover the length of a football field while reading a text. (A vehicle going 55MPH covers just over 80 feet per second. 80 feet times 4.6 seconds equals 368 feet. A football field is 360 feet).
Here is a video that we made which shows that texting and driving is like driving blind:If you have been Injured by a Distracted Driver
Even though texting and driving is illegal in California, people still do it. The penalties are not very stiff, and unfortunately many people believe they can text and drive with no problem.
In the last 30+ years, I have seen several different types of injuries. If you have been injured feel free to contact me for a free consultation. I work in Sacramento and cover injuries all over the state. If someone else is better suited for your case I can refer you to one of the many attorneys that I have a relationship with. I also have put together a huge Q&A related to auto injuries here: Auto Accident FAQs.