Waterford Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
California's sunny weather encourages many people to get out of the house and enjoy the fresh air. In a smaller town like Waterford, walking is a popular activity to get to school, work, or shop at the many boutiques downtown on Yosemite Blvd.
While walking is a great form of exercise and eco-friendly transportation, it is becoming more dangerous. The number of pedestrians injured or killed on our roads has increased over the past decade.
If you have been involved in an accident as a pedestrian and suffered severe injuries, call our Waterford injury lawyers at (209) 227-1931 for a free consultation.National Pedestrian Accident Statistics
California roads are some of the most dangerous in the United States for pedestrians. According to 2018 statistics from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS):
- 893 pedestrians were killed on California roads, a 26 percent increase from 2014.
- Over 14,000 pedestrians were injured.
- The pedestrian death rate in California is almost 25 percent higher than the national average.
Pedestrians are at a higher risk of serious injury and death when involved in a collision with a motor vehicle. A pedestrian is anyone who is walking, jogging, skateboarding, roller-skating, riding a hoverboard, or using a wheelchair. There are many rights and responsibilities in California that pedestrians should know about.
Many laws in California have been established to protect pedestrians and drivers from tragic accidents. According to California Vehicle Code Section 29150, drivers must yield the right-of-way to someone crossing the street inside a marked crosswalk. The motorist must also yield to a pedestrian crossing even if the crosswalk is not marked. However, according to California Vehicle Code 21954, crossing the street without using a crosswalk is illegal. Pedestrians must yield to vehicle traffic if they cross the street outside of a crosswalk.
California's fundamental speed law requires motorists to drive at a safe speed for the current road and weather conditions on the road. The law also states that although a pedestrian cannot cross the street outside a crosswalk, motorists must still exercise due care to avoid striking anyone who walks onto the road.What To Do Following a Pedestrian Accident
It is essential to know what to do if you are ever involved in a pedestrian accident.
- If you have been injured, the first thing you must do is seek immediate medical treatment. Call 911 for help right away, if you can. Medical personnel will evaluate your injuries and take you to the hospital if necessary.
- Document everything leading up to, during, and after the accident. Take pictures of your injuries, the vehicle that hit you, and the crash site. Get the driver's name, contact information, and license plate number. If there are any witnesses, get their contact information too.
- Call local law enforcement to the crash scene so a police report can be prepared. This information is helpful if you need to file an injury claim against the driver's insurance company.
- Go see a doctor as soon as possible. Sometimes injuries won't appear for days or weeks after an accident, and having a medical evaluation right away can help you begin to recover.
- Report the accident to your own insurance company. Your insurer may have you covered under an uninsured/underinsured motorist policy if the driver who hit you doesn't have insurance coverage.
- Consult with an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer to help you determine if you have a case. An attorney can help you file a claim for compensation and fight for your rights in court if necessary.
Watch the YouTube video below to learn about road safety and how to protect yourself as a pedestrian.How An Injury Lawyer Can Help You
Injuries from a pedestrian accident can cause life-changing consequences. Depending on the severity of your injuries, you can be out of work for weeks or even months, resulting in high medical bills and lost wages. Getting compensation for your damages is paramount to getting your life back on track.
Having an experienced accident attorney on your side can be beneficial. Your lawyer can help determine your damages such as lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and more. Most insurance companies will offer a lowball settlement, which is far less than what you deserve. Your attorney will negotiate with the insurance company to ensure you are given the compensation you are rightfully entitled to.
Finding a trustworthy and knowledgeable accident attorney in Waterford is essential to winning your case. Our legal team at AutoAccident.com is here to ensure you recover fair financial compensation for your damages. While you focus on your recovery from the accident, we will work on protecting your legal rights.Waterford Pedestrian Accident Lawyers
We know just how traumatic a pedestrian accident can be for you and your family. You can trust us to handle your case so you can focus on healing. Call (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 to speak with one of our experienced Waterford pedestrian accident lawyers for free, friendly case advice.
For nearly 40 years, our skilled injury attorneys have represented injured individuals and their families throughout Northern California.
Photo by StockSnap from Pixabay
cha llo [cs 903]