Ripon Motorcycle Accident Attorney
An accident involving a motorcycle often results in catastrophic injury or even wrongful death to the motorcyclist. To make matters worse, insurance companies may act quickly to dispute liability for the incident, putting the biker at risk of emotional, physical, and financial hardship. Recovering full and fair compensation for a traffic collision caused by a negligent party or entity often requires working with a skilled Ripon motorcycle accident lawyer.
If you suffered a serious injury in a crash as a motorcyclist, an experienced lawyer may help you recover the compensation you deserve to get your life back on track. To learn more, call one of our Ripon motorcycle accident attorneys now for free, friendly advice at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.
When you are considering a personal injury attorney to handle your claim, you should look for what sets a lawyer apart. You should consider what type of experience the attorney has with your case. At our personal injury law firm, we have handled motorcycle accident cases since 1982. Our legal team has the resources, skills, and experience necessary for proving your case to ensure you receive the fair settlement you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation to learn more about how we can help you obtain justice and financial compensation for your injuries and losses incurred.What are the Top Causes of Crashes Between Cars and Motorcycles?
Some of the most common reasons for motorcycle collisions include:
- Distracted driving such as talking or texting on a cell phone while driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs (DUI)
- Dooring in which involves opening a door in a motorcyclist's direct path
- Failure to yield the right of way to motorcycle riders
- Not paying attention to bikers on the road
- Speeding or driving too fast for weather or traffic conditions
During a motor vehicle collision, bikers risk sliding across the pavement, being ejected, and getting run over by oncoming vehicles or their motorcycles. Because of this, motorcycle riders may suffer traumatic injuries such as:
- Broken bones
- Disfigurement and scarring
- Internal trauma
- Road rash
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
The types of damages sought in a motorcycle accident claim come in three types, as outlined below:
- Economic Damages: In a bodily injury claim, economic damages or special damages are quantified into a specific value based on direct expenses. They may include past and future costs of medical treatment, lost income from time lost at work, loss of future earnings because of permanent injury or disability, and property damage for the cost of repair or replacement of personal property destroyed in the collision.
- Non-Economic Damages: In a personal injury lawsuit, non-economic damages or general damages cannot be calculated as they are intangible in value. They may include lost enjoyment of life, emotional distress, loss of consortium, mental anguish, and pain and suffering.
- Punitive Damages: In a motorcycle accident case, punitive damages may be sought from the at-fault party as a way of punishing them for egregious conduct that caused serious injury or wrongful death. Punitive damages also serve the purpose of deterring the negligent party and others from similar conduct in the future. Refer to the California Civil Code Section 3294 for additional information.
Specific factors may impact a bodily injury claim and its value. To learn more, watch this video.Is There Enough Insurance?
Auto insurance is required in California for all motorcyclists. The California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) lists the following minimum liability limits for a standard auto insurance policy:
- $15,000 in bodily injury liability coverage for one party
- $30,000 in bodily injury liability coverage per auto accident
- $5,000 property damage coverage for each traffic collision
If the at-fault party has insufficient liability coverage or none to cover personal injury damages incurred, there may be recourse for the motorcyclist. If the biker has uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (UM/UIM), their losses may be covered up to the limits of their motorcycle insurance policy. Contact an experienced motorcycle accident injury attorney in Ripon for additional details on the UM or UIM claims process.What is the Filing Deadline for a Motorcycle Crash Lawsuit in California?
California law allows claimants a limited amount of time to file a lawsuit in civil court. This time window is known as the statute of limitations. For personal injury or wrongful death cases arising from motorcycle accidents, there is a two-year statute of limitations that starts from the date of the incident. This is by the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1.
Failure to file a lawsuit within the statute of limitations expires may result in the court’s dismissal of the case. To learn more about the filing deadline and how it impacts your case, reach out to an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Ripon today.Contact a Ripon Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
The bodily injury claims process for a motorcyclist can be challenging. The same can be said for wrongful death cases. It is unfortunate that some parties still hold biases against motorcyclists that negatively paint them as reckless drivers on the road. Auto insurance companies and defense counsel often use such prejudices to shift blame for the incident to the motorcycle rider to reduce the amount of compensation they pay.
At our personal injury law firm, we know most bikers are responsible and cautious on the road. It is often other drivers who are reckless and careless around motorcyclists. The at-fault party may avoid financial liability for the incident for specific injuries if the claimant was not wearing a helmet or protective gear. However, we know the best way to overcome such defense tactics to ensure our clients are not taken advantage of by insurers and defense attorneys.
Our legal team is available anytime to take on your case and work diligently to recover the compensation your rightfully deserve. Contact our law firm today at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 to schedule a free consultation with one of our motorcycle accident injury lawyers in Ripon today regarding your potential case.
Photograph Source: By “SplitShire” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 1045] cha