Yreka Brain Injury Lawyer
A brain injury has the potential to lead to severe complications that might impact someone for the rest of his or her life. For many people, they feel that their identity is inexorably tied to their brain. The brain is responsible for not only the body’s motor and sensory functions but also consciousness, personality, character, judgment, memories, and aspirations.
For this reason, a traumatic brain injury has the potential to adversely affect someone’s quality of life. A head injury can impact not only the life of the individual involved but also the lives of family members and friends.Common Medical Complications of a Traumatic Brain Injury
If someone has been diagnosed with a traumatic brain injury, several medical complications might develop. Some of the most common impacts include:
- Memory Loss: When people sustain a blow to the head, they might suffer memory loss. There are two types of memory loss. The first is called retrograde memory loss, which makes it hard for someone to remember events that have already taken place. The second is called anterograde memory loss, which prevents someone from forming new memories. In some situations, memory loss might even be permanent.
- Seizures: Another common complication following a brain injury is the development of seizures. Seizures take place when the neurons of the brain begin firing in an uncontrolled manner. Depending on the location and severity of the injury, seizures can manifest in different ways. Some people go on to develop a serious seizure disorder called epilepsy. These seizures might make it hard for someone to return to their pre-injury level of functioning.
- Motor Complications: Other people might develop motor complications following a serious head injury. Motor complications may lead to weakness in one or more limbs, problems with coordination, and possible paralysis. In severe cases, these motor complications might even lead to permanent disabilities. This is what makes brain injuries so devastating.
These are a few of the common medical complications that people might develop following a brain injury. Of course, other issues may arise as well.The Logistical Complications of a Head Injury
Immediately following a head injury, most of the focus is going to be on the medical issues and the initial recovery. While this makes sense, families need to plan ahead, as well. Some logistical problems may include:
- Financial Problems: Even for financially comfortable families, a brain injury can lead to steep medical bills. Trips to the operating room and stays in the intensive care unit (ICU) are expensive. Insurance plans may have high deductibles, coinsurance, and might even refuse to cover some of the costs associated with the hospital stay.
- Employment Issues: The complications tied to a brain injury may make it hard for someone to go back to work. Furthermore, those who have suffered a TBI might become dependent on someone else to take care of them. This can create employment problems for not only the individual who suffered the injury but also the rest of the family as well.
- Follow-Up Medical Care: After someone leaves the hospital, the recovery process will continue. Many individuals who have been diagnosed with a TBI will need to visit with multiple specialists to receive comprehensive care. The transportation, the visits, and the coordination of health insurance coverage can be an arduous task.
Even though the totality of this situation can feel overwhelming, everyone needs to remember that help is available. Medical providers have been trained extensively in neurological injuries, and there are trained professionals who are always willing to lend a helping hand to a family in need. With the proper support, individuals who have suffered a TBI can maximize their chances of making a recovery.
The video from Lee Health below explains how traumatic brain injuries are treated.Yreka Brain Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Yreka Brain Injury Lawyer. Brain injuries can lead to serious complications that might impact someone for the rest of his or her life. If you or a loved one has sustained a brain injury due to the negligence of another person or entity, please call me today by dialing (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for friendly, free advice.
I am honored to be a California injury lawyer who has been selected to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. This is a listing of top trial lawyers who have both settled & earned verdicts in cases worth more than $1 million. I am also a part of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel.
See verdicts and settlements obtained by our injury lawyers.
Citation of Images: Pixabay.com.
:dr 0p cha [cs 778]