Turlock Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorists and their lawyers frequently try to blame the number of bikes on the road and motorcyclist negligence for the increase in accidents. This type of argument is used in defense of an at-fault motorist. Another argument that is often used in court is the misperception of bikers as reckless to urge juries to decide in favor of the motorist. Some of these false arguments include:
- Motorcyclists do not have the same rights as motorists: The opposite is true. Riders have the right to be present on the highways and urban streets just as much as motorists do. They abide by the same rules as motorists and have the same rights.
- Motorcyclists cause accidents: Most riders obey the rules of the road. This is a common misperception of bikers hailing back to movies. They suffer injuries because they do not have the protection afforded by steel and safety devices common on motor vehicles.
Having an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Turlock on your side is important. The attorney should be able to instruct the jury to refrain from linking recklessness with motorcyclists. Instead, the lawyer should be able to show them that riding a motorcycle is not necessarily dangerous. Rather, it often takes a negligent motorist to cause the motorcycle crash. It is essential that jurors leave their own prejudices outside of the jury box.Top Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The top reasons motorcycle accidents happen are:
- Drivers fail to see motorcycles: This is one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents. It is partly because the motorcycle is smaller and hard to see. However, this is not the entire case. The brain processes information in a certain way, weeding out what it thinks is unnecessary. Because of this, the human brain may think that seeing other motor vehicles is more important than seeing a motorcycle, so it takes the motorcyclist out of the picture. This is called inattentional blindness and is responsible for many motorcycle accidents.
- Distracted driving: This is the number one cause of accidents today. Motorcyclists are often injured by a motorist who is texting, talking on a cell phone, or attending to the GPS monitor.
- Drunk drivers: an intoxicated driver is unable to rely on cognitive skills when driving.
- Judging how fast a motorcycle is moving: Drivers often fail to correctly judge how fast a motorcycle is traveling. This impacts on their knowing whether on not they can safely make a turn.
- Tailgating a motorcycle: Many drivers follow a motorcycle too closely, leading to a rear-end accident. This is a problem since the motorcyclist can stop much quicker than a motor vehicle. Rear ending a motorcycle can lead to devastating injuries to the rider.
- Obstacles or debris in the road: Motorcyclists are injured by a variety of road problems or debris. Some of the most common are potholes, cracks in the road, and shoulder drop-offs. If this happens, the government agency in charge of maintenance can be held liable for injuries the motorcyclist suffers. Consult with your Turlock motorcycle accident lawyer to ensure that your claim is filed before the deadline when a government agency is involved.
- Motorcycle defects: In some instances, design or other defects can result in a motorcycle crash. Manufacturers are held liable in such cases in a product liability lawsuit.
When a fatality or injury occurs, the rider or their family can claim compensation with the help of an experienced Turlock motorcycle accident attorney. I’ve served Turlock motorcyclists as an experienced lawyer since 1982 and have seen how devastating the effects of a motorcycle accident can be.
In my law firm, we treat clients as though they are members of the family by using a holistic approach. This is because an accident injury or loss affects the entire family. By getting to know you, it helps us personalize our approach, and many of our clients stay friends throughout the years. As always, a first consultation is free when you call me at (209) 227-1931.
Watch the following video to learn why insurance companies offer low settlements to injured motorcyclists:Liability in a Motorcycle Accident
Don’t get caught in a situation where the insurance company tries to renege in its responsibility to you after a motorcycle accident. Far too often, the insurer will try to undercut the settlement amount. This often happens when a motorcyclist tries to represent themselves in a claim.
Injured parties are often caught in a web of financial loss and physical harm, and all too often are eager to settle. That’s understandable. However, the insurance company knows that it’s easier to push an inadequate offer through when an individual needs to settle quickly. They also know that by not waiting until all medical care is completed, the injured person may end up paying out of pocket for someone else’s negligence.
If you need more treatment after accepting an inadequate offer, the insurance company is no longer required to pay. Talk to your attorney before accepting a payment meant to undercut what you really need.Turlock Motorcycle Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Turlock motorcycle accident attorney. When you are injured, or a family member is killed in a motorcycle accident, you need the help of a seasoned lawyer. Call me at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice, You can also reach out to me online if that is more convenient for you.
I am a proud member of the following organizations:
Take a few moments to learn more about us:
Image Attribution: Pixaby
:cd cha [cs 1059]