Tracy Brain Injury Lawyer
- In 2000, more than $75 billion in medical and indirect costs were ascribed to traumatic brain injuries.
- More than 1.5 million people in this country sustain a traumatic brain injury every year.
- Children under 4 years age of age are most likely to suffer a brain injury.
- People over the age of 75 are most likely to be hospitalized or killed from head trauma.
There is a long list of ways that someone might sustain a traumatic brain injury. Because of this, the CDC has also published statistics regarding the most common mechanisms of head and brain injuries. Examples include:
- Slip and fall injuries account for about 35 percent of all traumatic brain injuries
- Motor vehicle accidents, such as motorcycle and auto accidents, account for about 20 percent of head and brain injuries
- Physical assault is responsible for another 20 percent
- The rest of the injuries are caused by other factors, such as sports
It is important for everyone to be on guard because a traumatic brain injury can happen at any time; however, not every impact to the head is going to cause a brain injury. People should be aware of some of the symptoms of head and brain injuries.Common Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Like other traumatic injuries, the symptoms of a brain injury will vary depending on its location and severity. Some of the most common symptoms of a traumatic brain injury include:
- Headache: While headaches can result from any number of different causes, this is one of the most common symptoms of a brain injury. Sometimes, people will have a headache immediately after impact. Other times, the headache may not develop for several minutes or hours after the event.
- Vomiting: While most people think that vomiting happens as a result of food poisoning or a viral illness, this is one of the most common symptoms of a brain injury. When people have food poisoning or a virus, vomiting is often accompanied by diarrhea. Vomiting in the absence of diarrhea is a red flag and could signal a brain injury. The vomiting comes as a result of changes in pressure inside of the skull, causing people to vomit.
- Confusion: Any sign of altered mental status could be a signal of a brain injury. When there has been damage to the brain, people have trouble keeping their thoughts together. The may also have trouble with their orientation or understanding who, when, or where they are located. Altered mental status should be evaluated as quickly as possible.
These are only a few of the many different symptoms that people could feel after a traumatic brain injury. Other common symptoms include difficulty with motor function, changes in perception of pain or pressure, and difficulty seeing.
Watch the following video for more on how traumatic brain injuries are treated.Asking for Help After a Head Injury Change
Recovery of a mild or severe TBI can be scary for not only the individual but also for their family and friends. Because of this, everyone should remember to ask for help with head trauma. Seeking professional medical attention is important because the earlier a brain injury is diagnosed and treated, the better the prognosis will be. Some of the common treatments include supplemental oxygen, diuretics, blood pressure medication, and even emergent surgery.Should I Hire an Attorney for a Traumatic Brain Injury Case?
In addition, it can be helpful to speak with a Tracy brain injury lawyer. An attorney has worked with many families who have gone through similar situations and can help families fill out paperwork, speak with insurance companies, and investigate the cause of the TBI. Many families have seen the many legal advertisements that promise flashy results and guarantee settlements. Families should know that nobody can truly guarantee anything; however, I can promise that I will do my best to represent your interests. I have spent years placing the needs of my clients ahead of my own and I will work tirelessly to make sure that your voice is heard. Please, give us a call with any questions or concerns today. I would be honored to serve you and your family.
Related Articles by Ed Smith
- Diagnosis of Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Treatment of Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Traumatic Brain Injury Risk Factors
The accident attorneys at AutoAccident.com understand how devastating a traumatic brain injury attorney can be. Since 1982, this law firm has helped clients of Tracy, CA with recovering fair compensation in their TBI cases. To learn more, call (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 8.18.20]
Image Attribution: Pixabay
:dr [cs 986]