Tracy Brain Injury Lawyer
A traumatic brain injury is the most serious among the different injuries that someone might sustain. Families who have experienced a severe or chronic injury before they know how difficult this can be.
Fortunately, there has been a lot of research regarding head and brain injuries over the past few years. This has given hope to individuals and families who previously had none; however, brain injuries are still a significant problem for the healthcare community. Some crucial statistics regarding traumatic brain injuries published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) include:
- In 2000, more than $75 billion in medical and indirect costs were ascribed to traumatic brain injuries.
- More than 1.5 million people in this country sustain a traumatic brain injury every year.
- Children under 4 years age of age are most likely to suffer a brain injury.
- People over 75 are most likely to be hospitalized or killed from head trauma.
Head and brain injuries are serious and deserve to be taken seriously. To be prepared, people must know some of the most common causes of brain injuries.Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
A long list of ways someone might sustain a traumatic brain injury. Thus, the CDC has also published statistics regarding the most common mechanisms of head and brain injuries. Examples include:
- Slip and fall injuries account for about 35 percent of all traumatic brain injuries.
- Motor vehicle accidents, such as motorcycle and auto accidents, account for about 20 percent of head and brain injuries.
- Physical assault is responsible for another 20 percent.
- The rest of the injuries are caused by other factors, such as sports.
Everyone needs to be on guard because a traumatic brain injury can happen at any time; however, not every impact on the head will cause a brain injury. People should be aware of some head and brain injury symptoms.Common Symptoms of a Traumatic Brain Injury
Like other traumatic injuries, the symptoms of a brain injury will vary depending on its location and severity. Some of the most common symptoms of a traumatic brain injury include:
- Headache: While headaches can result from many different causes, this is one of the most common brain injury symptoms. Sometimes, people will have a headache immediately after impact. Other times, the headache may not develop for several minutes or hours after the event.
- Vomiting: While most people think vomiting happens due to food poisoning or a viral illness, this is one of the most common brain injury symptoms. When people have food poisoning or a virus, vomiting is often accompanied by diarrhea. Vomiting without diarrhea is a red flag and could signal a brain injury. The vomiting comes from changes in pressure inside the skull, causing people to vomit.
- Confusion: Any sign of altered mental status could signal a brain injury. When there has been damage to the brain, people have trouble keeping their thoughts together. They may also have trouble with their orientation or understanding of which, when, or where they are located. Altered mental status should be evaluated as quickly as possible.
These are only a few of the many different symptoms that people could feel after a traumatic brain injury. Other common symptoms include difficulty with motor function, changes in perception of pain or pressure, and difficulty seeing.
Watch the following video for more on how traumatic brain injuries are treated with new technology and treatments.Asking for Help After a Head Injury Change
Recovery from a mild or severe TBI can be scary for the individual and their family and friends. Because of this, everyone should remember to ask for help with head trauma. Seeking professional medical attention is important because the earlier a brain injury is diagnosed and treated, the better its prognosis. Some common treatments include supplemental oxygen, diuretics, blood pressure medication, and even emergent surgery.Should I Hire an Attorney for a Traumatic Brain Injury Case?
Also, speaking with a Tracy brain injury lawyer can be helpful. An attorney has worked with many families who have gone through similar situations and can help families fill out paperwork, speak with insurance companies, and investigate the cause of the TBI. Many families have seen legal advertisements that promise flashy results and guarantee settlements.
Families should know nobody can guarantee anything; however, we promise to do our best to represent your interests. Our legal team has spent years placing our client's needs ahead of ours, and we will work tirelessly to ensure your voice is heard. Please give us a call with any questions or concerns today. We would be honored to serve you and your family.Call a Brain Injury Lawyer in Tracy, CA Today
The accident attorneys at AutoAccident.com understand how devastating a traumatic brain injury attorney can be. Since 1982, our legal team has helped Tracy, CA, clients recover fair compensation in their TBI cases. To learn more, call (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. See our past verdicts and settlements.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 8.31.23] Image Attribution: Pixabay dr [cs 845]