Cameron Park Dog Bite Lawyer
Every dog owner knows that dogs make great companions. While most dogs are loyal to their humans, sometimes they can suddenly bite or attack other people. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), about 4.5 million dog bite incidents occur annually in the United States. About 900,000 of those bites become infected, which requires medical care.Common Dog Bite Injuries
Dog bitеѕ can cause traumatic injuriеѕ, such as:
- Nеrvе dаmаgе
- Pоѕt-Trаumаtiс Strеѕѕ Diѕоrdеr
- Psychological injuriеѕ
- Punсturеѕ аnd lacerations
- Sсаrѕ оn the fасе, аrmѕ, аnd lеgѕ
There are several steps you must do immediately following a dog bite or attack:
- Seek Medical Care: It's essential to seek medical attention immediately. Serious dog bites can cause severe infections and other damage. The quicker you see a doctor, the faster you can get treated and heal from the injuries.
- Identify the Dog: Identifying the animal that bit you is crucial to find its owner. Dog owners are responsible for their pet's actions. If you can find the owner, you can file a claim with the owner's home insurance for compensation. If a stray dog bites you, then the chances of getting a financial recovery are significantly slim.
- Call Animal Control Agency: Take pictures of your injuries and report the incident to your local animal control agency. This is a necessary step to prevent others from being attacked.
- Contact a Lawyer: You should also talk to an experienced Cameron Park dog bite lawyer to discuss your legal options.
The video below discusses dog bite wounds and tips on what to do right after a dog bite incident.Recovery for Damages in a Dog Bite Injury Claim
Certain damages can be pursued through a dog bite injury claim. They include:
- Lost income due to time missed from work
- Incurred medical bills
- Future medical bills
- Pain and suffering
Medical expenses for dog bite injuries can be extensive. For instance, if you suffer facial lacerations, plastic ѕurgеrу may be needed to correct the scarring. In other situations, injuries to your tendons or nerves involve surgery and months of rehabilitation.Dog Owners are Responsible for Their Pets' Actions
California is a "strict liability" state for dog bites. Under the strict liability law, dog owners are liable for a dog bite even if their dog has no history of biting anyone before. The owner can't plead ignorance. According to the law, you just need to show that:
- The person who owned the dog
- The attack happened
- You were injured during the attack
- The dog bite caused your injuries
There are certain things a dog bite injury lawyer can do for you before you step foot inside a courtroom. Your attorney will investigate the incident and gather all the evidence, including photos of your injuries and witness statements.
An attorney will also retrieve all your medical records, including bills and expenses from your medical treatment. If you lost income from your job due to the dog bite incident, your lawyer could get the necessary papers to prove the amount of your loss. This valuable information can help you get the best settlement in your claim.
Most injury attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, so there are no upfront costs. Your lawyer does not get paid unless you receive a settlement. This ensures the incentives are correctly aligned between you and your lawyer. You both want to obtain full compensation for the injury claim.Homeowners Insurance Covers Dog Bites
Most homeowners' insurance policies provide liability coverage for dog bites. If the pet owner has homeowners insurance, your lawyer will begin negotiating with the insurance company. Your attorney and the adjuster assigned to your injury claim will work together to resolve the case as quickly as possible. Most personal injury cases settle without going to trial. However, if the insurance company fails to make an acceptable settlement offer, your attorney can proceed with filing a lawsuit in civil court.
After thе ѕuit iѕ filеd, the discovery process begins. This involves interviewing witnesses, requesting evidence from the defendant, and preparing for trial. Even after a lawsuit has been filed, your case may settle before a trial begins.
Throughout the discovery process and pretrial proceedings, settlement negotiations can continue. There have even been times when settlements were reached just days before the trial started.
There are many reasons why it's essential to retain an experienced Cameron Park dog bite lawyer to handle your case. The lawyer can take the burden of negotiating with the insurance company off your shoulders so you can focus on healing.Contact a Dog Bite Lawyer in Cameron, CA Today
If you or a loved one has been bitten by a dog and suffered severe injuries, please call our experienced Cameron Park Dog Bite Lawyers today for free, friendly advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400.
Take a look at our past verdicts and settlements.