Alameda Brain Injury Lawyer
One of the most tragic outcomes of a traffic collision or another type of accident is a traumatic brain injury (TBI). In a roadway crash, head trauma is not uncommon and may be severe for a wide array of reasons. Motor vehicle occupants may sustain a traumatic brain injury from blunt force trauma to the head during a car wreck. TBIs have the potential to cause a disruption of the chemical processes and communication of the brain. This may lead to temporary or even permanent brain damage, a vegetative state, or even death in some extreme cases. If the incident resulted from someone else's negligence, injured parties or families of decedents may have grounds for a claim for damages.
Get started with a free review of your TBI claim. Contact our legal team at AutoAccident.com for free, friendly advice on your potential case at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400. Our skilled and compassionate traumatic brain injury attorneys serve residents in Alameda County and all of California.
A motor vehicle collision or another type of accident may have life-changing consequences for those involved. This is especially true when an injury, such as a TBI, is involved. If you or a family member has sustained head trauma in any type of incident due to the negligence of another party or entity, our legal team at AutoAccident.com is here to help. Our Alameda brain injury lawyers investigate immediately, build the strongest cases possible, and work diligently to seek the full compensation our clients need and deserve. We offer free consultations and work on contingency. There is nothing to lose and much to gain when you turn to our California personal injury law firm for assistance after a TBI from an accident.What Are the Three Main Types of Traumatic Brain Injuries?
TBIs are classified into three main types, including:
- Concussion or mild traumatic brain injury
- Moderate TBI
- Severe traumatic brain injury
Individuals may experience TBIs differently than others in an accident. Signs of this condition may include:
- Difficulty with speech, like struggling to say words aloud
- Personality changes, including anxiety or depression
- Physical symptoms, like tinnitus or double vision
- Sensitivity to busy environments or loud noise
- Sleep disturbance or changes in sleeping patterns
Due to the long-term effects of traumatic brain injuries and the extent of medical treatment needed, an injured party may be entitled to significant compensation in a claim for damages. A skilled California personal injury lawyer will work diligently to seek full financial recovery on behalf of a client. A person who has sustained injuries, such as a TBI, in an accident through no fault of their own may be entitled to recovery for economic and non-economic damages, including:
- Costs of necessary and reasonable medical treatment for injuries in connection with the collision
- Lost earnings from being out of work due to recovery and attending appointments with treating providers for injuries associated with the incident
- Diminished earning potential from crash-related injuries causing permanent disability, such as a TBI that is classified as moderate to severe
- Projected costs of future medical treatment that is reasonable and necessary, including surgical intervention and long-term rehabilitation
- Out-of-pocket expenses for vehicle modifications, prescription medications, and home renovations to accommodate a permanent injury or disability
- Pain and suffering for the physical problems and emotional distress that accident-related injuries may have had on an affected party.
When you first meet with an Alameda brain injury lawyer, you must bring documentation. Your injury attorney will use this evidence to prove your case. It is recommended to bring the following items with you during a free consultation with a lawyer regarding your TBI case:
- Copy of traffic incident report by the Alameda Police Department, CHP, or another law enforcement agency that responded to the crash
- Medical summaries and records from the hospital and treating providers for injuries related to the accident
- Photographs of the collision site and of visible injuries, if there are any
- Contact information for individuals who witnessed the accident
- Any other relevant details
Your California brain injury lawyer will review all this evidence and determine your case's best course of action. Your attorney will handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on recovering from a TBI and other accident-related injuries. In contrast, they focus on securing a successful result.Can Survivors Recover Damages for the Loss of a Loved One From a TBI?
TBI patients may succumb to their injuries in the most tragic scenarios. A compassionate and experienced California wrongful death lawyer can bring a case on behalf of surviving family members to seek justice and financial recovery against the at-fault party. This may include compensation for non-economic and economic damages, such as:
- Bills for end-of-life treatment (sought via survival action)
- Costs of final resting services for the lost family member
- Mental anguish from the loss of a loved one in an unexpected incident
- Loss of the deceased's care, companionship, guidance, love, protection, and support
- Loss of the decedent's contributions to the household, including earnings, benefits, and services
While no amount of money can undo the pain and devastation that comes with the loss of human life, seeking compensation in a wrongful death action against an at-fault party or entity may provide survivors with justice and a sense of closure. Contact our Alameda brain injury attorneys for a free consultation if you require legal assistance in a TBI wrongful death case. Watch this video about our services.Should You Accept an Insurance Settlement Offer for a Brain Injury Claim?
Insurance carriers often attempt to settle bodily injury claims involving TBIs and other types of head trauma for pennies on the dollar. Given the long-term impact of traumatic brain injuries and other forms of trauma to the head, it is essential to contact an attorney before accepting an initial settlement offer from the insurer. Unlike the insurance company, a knowledgeable Alameda brain injury lawyer recognizes the immense pressures that injured parties and their loved ones often face. An attorney will be committed to securing the full financial recovery their clients deserve.Is There a Filing Deadline for Accident Cases in California?
The California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1 outlines the deadline for personal injury and wrongful death cases. Generally, a two-year time limit applies to these matters. This means that an eligible claimant has no more than two years to file a case in court if a mutual settlement agreement is not reached within that period. Failure to file the case in civil court to protect the statute may result in the dismissal of the matter. This may ultimately lead to losing the right to take legal action. Protect your right to full compensation in a brain injury case and retain legal counsel immediately.Alameda Traumatic Brain Injury FAQ
What if the at-fault party has limited to no insurance?
When you are in an accident caused by a negligent driver, you may expect the other motorist to carry auto insurance. However, that is not always the case. If the party responsible for the incident does not have insurance or has minimal limits, an injured party may file a claim with their insurer if they have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. UM protection covers damages in a crash caused by a driver without liability coverage, and UIM coverage pays for losses that exceed the other side's insurance policy limits. For more details, contact an experienced personal injury lawyer near you.
Is it worth getting a personal injury attorney for a TBI case?
An initial settlement offer from an insurer for a TBI claim may bring mixed emotions and uncertainty. While it may be tempting to accept it, remember that it may be far less than what is needed to cover past and future losses from a traumatic brain injury in an accident. A TBI attorney with years of experience will make all the difference in the outcome of a personal injury case. Unlike the insurance carrier, your lawyer's goal is to secure full compensation on your behalf and help you rebuild your life after a life-changing incident.Contact a Brain Injury Lawyer Serving Alameda, California
If you or a family member has sustained a TBI or another type of head trauma in an accident and would like to discuss your case in detail with an attorney, contact our legal team at AutoAccident.com by dialing (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400. Our personal injury law firm offers free consultations anytime. Our traumatic brain injury lawyers serve clients in Alameda County and other communities in California. Before calling for a free consultation with one of our TBI attorneys, we encourage you to check out our history of successful case results featured for your reference on our Settlements and Verdicts page.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 8.10.23] Photo Credit: "Anna Shvets" via Pexels ds llo [cs 1527]