Woodland Slip and Fall Lawyer
Injuries from slip and fall accidents are among the most common causes of hospitalization in the United States. Whether the accident happened on the ground or at a higher level, slip and fall injuries can be severe or even fatal.
If you or someone you know recently sustained injuries in a slip and fall accident in Yolo County due to negligence, you are entitled to compensation to cover your damages. Call our law firm today at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 to arrange a free, no-obligation consultation with one of our experienced injury attorneys.How Do Slips and Fall Accidents Occur?
A slip and fall accident can happen anywhere. A small puddle or a spilled beverage is all it takes to cause catastrophic injuries. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), wet floors account for more than 50 percent of these accidents. Other common causes of a slip and fall accident involved:
- Loose or bunched-up mats or carpets
- Loose cords or floorboards
- Potholes in parking lots or broken curbs
- Clutter inside a store
- Leaking ice or drink machines
- Failure to provide slip-proof mats during inclement weather
- Failure to train employees to spot and clean up potential hazards
- Unstable balcony
- Elevators that are incorrectly leveled.
- Escalators with defective teeth, bolts sticking out, and wobbly handrails
- Insufficient lighting
- Stairwells with lack of railings and damaged tread
Those who own, rent, live or manage a property in California owe a duty of care to protect guests who enter their property from injuries in slip and fall accidents. Other parties who may be liable to pay damages include parent companies or their insurers.
In any personal injury case, determining who is responsible creates some challenges. California is a "comparative fault" state, which allows some of the blame to fall upon the injured person. That means you must prove you were 49 percent or less at fault for the accident. Even if you are partially at fault, you will still receive some compensation, but only proportionate to the amount of responsibility attributed to you.Compensation for a Slip and Fall Accident
If you have been injured due to a hazardous condition on someone else's property, you may want to consider filing a premises liability claim. Depending on the circumstances of your accident and the severity of your injuries, you can recover the following types of economic compensation:
- Medical expenses
- Rehabilitative therapy
- Lost wages and future earning capacity
- Medical equipment such as a wheelchair or walker
- Transportation costs
- Cost of a caregiver
- Out-of-pocket costs
You can potentially recover compensation for non-economic damages such as:
- Disability and disfigurement
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment
- Pain and suffering
Whether you were injured in a public or private location, taking the steps below can help protect your injury claim for fair compensation:
- Seek medical care immediately if you are seriously injured.
- Ask a manager for an accident report.
- Take photos of your injuries and the accident site.
- Look to see if there are video cameras in the area.
- Document whether you noticed any store employees in the area before, during, and after the accident.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information.
- Put the shoes and clothes you had on when you were injured in a plastic bag for safekeeping.
- Document how your injury symptoms have progressed. Keep a journal.
- Keep receipts of your total medical treatment costs.
- Consult with a knowledgeable Yolo County Slip and Fall Attorney to discuss your legal options.
Property owners and their insurance companies often try to offer a settlement well below what you need to cover your losses. Most insurance companies will take advantage of your situation, knowing you may be unable to work and need the money.
Because liability may fall on multiple parties, handling your case with a lawyer is a wise decision. An attorney can investigate the accident to determine who is responsible, gather needed evidence to support your claim, and negotiate with the insurance company. Meanwhile, you can recuperate from your trauma without financial worries.
Our injury lawyers in Woodland have successfully helped many clients get maximum compensation for their injuries. Proving negligence in a slip and fall accident can be challenging, but we have what it takes to get you the compensation you deserve with our skills, resources and decades of experience.
Watch the YouTube video below that explains how to avoid common mistakes when selecting an attorney.Slip and Fall Lawyers in Woodland, CA
Many devastating injuries can result from a slip and fall accident. If you have suffered severe trauma on someone else's property in Yolo County, and you believe it was due to the property owner's negligence, call our experienced Woodland Slip and Fall Lawyers at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
Since 1982, our knowledgeable injury attorneys have won substantial settlements and verdicts for clients of property owner negligence.
Photo by Nico Smit on Unsplash
cha [cs 857] bw