Woodland Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Motorcycle riding boasts numerous advantages. Motorcyclists enjoy cost savings at the fuel pump while contributing to environmental preservation through reduced fuel consumption. Moreover, traversing on a bike provides an unparalleled opportunity to immerse oneself in the natural splendor of locations like California. Many embark on weekend journeys to the coastal areas or the majestic Sierra Nevada mountains. Nevertheless, it is essential to acknowledge that riding a motorcycle heightens the risk of sustaining severe injuries.
Although most motorcyclists exercise caution to prevent accidents, there are instances where collisions become unavoidable. It is widely recognized that motorcycles offer minimal protection during a crash, often resulting in grave injuries or fatalities. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident and believe that someone else's negligence was the cause, please contact our team of injury attorneys at (530) 392-9400 for a complimentary consultation without any obligations.Motorcycle Accident Data in California
The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) estimates that around 500 fatal motorcycle collisions exist annually across the state. Furthermore, OTS data shows that more than 10,000 people annually receive severe injuries in California motorcycle accidents. Perhaps the most startling statistic is that motorcyclists are estimated to be killed in accidents 26 times more often than people in passenger vehicles per mile traveled.Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Even low-traffic accidents can leave motorcyclists with injuries that dramatically affect their everyday lives. Many of these injuries require expensive medical procedures and medicines; some even need physical therapy, and rehabilitation can take months or, in many cases, years. These injuries can mean that injured people miss time at work or school and often put victims and their families in financial hardship. Examples of injuries commonly suffered in motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Bone fractures
- Amputation injuries
- Internal bleeding, including organ damage
- Neck injuries
- Back and spinal cord injuries
Watch the YouTube video below to learn more about the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.Accidents and Liability
When accidents are caused by negligent parties, injured people can often seek payment for their damages through a "personal injury claim." Those responsible for paying damages in a personal injury claim vary from case to case. However, liable parties often include reckless drivers who cause an accident, auto product sellers and makers who provide a dangerous product, and government entities who fail to maintain a roadway.Recoverable Damages
As discussed above, there are many ways that accident injuries can cause financial hardship. These can be difficult to deal with, especially while enduring the physical pain of an injury. Injured parties can claim many payments because accident injuries can cause much damage. Some of the more common damages that injured motorcyclists are owed include:
- Medical expenses related to the accident include ambulance bills, emergency room, and hospital charges.
- Pain and suffering damages. These are damages caused by emotional and/or psychological harm from the crash. Pain and suffering often include payments for loss of quality of life and conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Wages lost due to time off work.
- Potential income lost because of a permanent disability
- Future medical costs related to rehabilitation and injury management
Many are unsure if they should hire a lawyer to help them after an accident, especially when their injuries are minor. While it is true that not every case is suitable for an attorney, you should always at least call a lawyer. Most lawyers will offer you a free consultation during which you can get valuable information about your case. Talking with an injury lawyer can help you understand your options and whether hiring someone to represent you makes sense.How to Choose the Best Personal Injury Lawyer
The accident recovery process is often stressful, but finding a good lawyer doesn't have to be. The best way to find a quality lawyer is to research critical details online. While you research, remember to keep the following traits in mind:
- The lawyer is well-respected and has many good reviews on third-party rating sites like Avvo, Google, and Yelp.
- The lawyer is friendly and compassionate about your difficulties.
- The lawyer is experienced with representing people injured in motorcycle accidents. You can find this out by looking at their verdicts and settlements. Most lawyers will have these listed on their websites. If it isn't listed, you should always ask. A good lawyer will be happy to share their successes with you.
- If the insurance company gives a lowball settlement offer, the lawyer has the financial resources and trial experience to take your case before a jury.
If you were injured during an accident, you must file your claim within two years of the date of the incident. Filing your case past this date means courts will probably toss it out. Sometimes, such as when a government vehicle causes a crash, the time frame can be even shorter. As soon as possible, taking action is always the best idea, as your lawyer will know and meet all necessary deadlines.Call Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Woodland, CA
If a motorcycle collision caused you or someone you love severe injuries, please contact our Woodland motorcycle accident lawyers for free, friendly case advice at (800) 404-5400 and (530) 392-9400.
See our past personal injury cases on our verdicts and settlements page.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 7.31.23] Photo: ab ms [cs 926]