Woodland Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Riding a motorcycle has many benefits. Motorcyclists pay less at the gas pump and benefit the environment by using less fuel. Riding a motorcycle is also a unique way to experience the natural beauty of a place like California. Many people take to the coast or the Sierra Nevada mountains to go for a weekend ride. However, riding a motorcycle also comes with an increased risk of serious injuries.
While most motorcyclists tend to avoid accidents, sometimes a crash can’t be avoided. We all know that motorcycles offer little protection in the event of a collision.
The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) estimates that around 500 fatal motorcycle collisions exist across the state every year. Furthermore, OTS data shows that more than 10,000 people receive serious injuries in California motorcycle accidents annually. Perhaps the most startling statistic is that motorcyclists are estimated to be killed in accidents 26 times more often than people in passenger vehicles per mile traveled.Common Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Even accidents that occur at low speeds can leave motorcyclists with injuries that dramatically affect the way they live their everyday lives. Many of these injuries require expensive medical procedures and medicines. Some even require physical therapy, and rehabilitation can take months or, in many cases, years. These injuries can mean that injured people miss time at work or school and often put victims and their families in financial hardship. Examples of injuries commonly suffered in motorcycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Bone fractures
- Amputation injuries
- Internal bleeding, including organ damage
- Neck injuries
- Back/Spinal cord injuries
Watch the YouTube video below to learn more about the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.Accidents and Liability
When accidents are caused by negligent parties, injured people can often seek payment for their damages through a “personal injury claim.” Those responsible for paying damages in a personal injury claim vary from case to case. However, liable parties often include reckless drivers who cause an accident, auto product sellers and makers who provide a dangerous product, and government entities who fail to maintain a roadway.Recoverable Damages
As discussed above, there are many ways that accident injuries can cause financial hardship. These can be difficult to deal with, especially while enduring the physical pain of an injury. Because accident injuries can cause so many different damages, injured parties can claim many types of payments. Some of the more common damages that injured motorcyclists are owed include:
- Medical expenses directly related to the accident include ambulance bills, emergency room costs, and hospital charges.
- Pain and suffering damages. These are damages caused by emotional and/or psychological harm stemming from the crash. Pain and suffering often include payments for loss of quality of life and conditions such as post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Wages lost due to time off work.
- Potential income lost because of a permanent disability
- Future medical costs related to rehabilitation and injury management
Many are unsure if they should hire a lawyer to help them after an accident, especially when their injuries are minor. While it is true that not every case is right for an attorney, you should always at least call a lawyer. Most lawyers will offer you a free consultation during which you can get valuable information about your case. Talking with an injury lawyer can help you understand what options you might have and whether or not it makes sense to hire someone to represent you.How to Choose the Best Personal Injury Lawyer
The accident recovery process is often stressful, but finding a good lawyer doesn’t have to be. The best way to find a quality lawyer is to research a few key details online. While you research, you should keep the following traits in mind:
- The lawyer is well-respected and has many good reviews on third-party rating sites like Avvo, Google, or Yelp.
- The lawyer is friendly and compassionate about your difficulties.
- The lawyer is experienced with representing people injured in motorcycle accidents. You can find this out by looking at their verdicts and settlements. Most lawyers will have these listed on their websites. If it isn’t listed, you should always ask. A good lawyer will be happy to share their successes with you.
- If the insurance company gives a low ball settlement offer, the lawyer has the financial resources and trial experience to take your case before a jury.
If you were injured during an accident, you have to file your claim within two years of the date of the incident. Filing your case past this date means that courts will probably toss it out. In some cases, such as when a government vehicle causes the crash, the time frame can be even shorter. As soon as you can, taking action is always the best idea, as your lawyer will know and meet all of the necessary deadlines.Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Woodland, CA
If a motorcycle collision caused you or someone you love severe injuries, please contact our Woodland motorcycle accident attorneys for free, friendly legal advice. We're available to talk at (800) 404-5400 and (530) 392-9400. Another good way to reach us is through our contact us page.
See our past personal injury cases on our verdicts and settlements page.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 8.19.21]
:ms [cs 1042]