What kind of factors may affect the value of a motorcycle injury claim?
Determining the value of a motorcycle personal injury claim is part science, part art, and a large part persuasive and organizational skills. All three areas must be fully developed in order to maximize a settlement.
The primary factor in determining the value of a motorcycle claim is the specific nature of the injuries and economic losses sustained (also known as damages). This is the science part of the equation, and it involves:
* A thorough examination of the injured motorcyclist's medical records and medical history.
* Medical research about the injuries that have been diagnosed, the treatments that have been used, and their probable outcomes.
* Where necessary, interviews with the treating physicians and/or requests for formal medical reports from the doctors. These services can cost a significant amount of money and should only be used where needed, however a motorcycle personal injury attorney will usually advance to their client the costs for these reports, which can substantially increase the value of the injury claim and the likelihood of its settlement.
Next comes the art portion in presenting a claim. To do so one must:
* Honestly maximize the value of facts which increase the value of the claim; and
* Honestly minimize the impact of facts which deter from the value of the claim.
This aspect is difficult to describe except to say that any given motorcycle accident person’s situation is different, just as no two snowflakes are alike. Representation that excels at this aspect separates an average motorcycle accident attorney from the cream of the crop.
Finally, all this information must be put forward in a persuasive argument to an insurance claims adjuster, to an insurance defense attorney, to an arbitrator, or perhaps even to a jury at trial. The motorcycle personal injury attorney who has handled a great many claims and cases will have developed professional working relationships with many insurance adjusters and defense attorneys, and this can often smooth the road to settlement of a client's claim.
The Law Offices of Edward A. Smith are experienced motorcycle accident attorneys expert in motorcycle rules and regulations.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident that was not your fault, call us anytime for free, friendly advice. Sacramento 916-921-6400. Elsewhere 800-404-5400. Or contact us online.