Vacaville Wrongful Death Lawyer
If you lost a loved one in a preventable accident caused by the negligence of an individual, or company, speak to a Vacaville wrongful death lawyer to discuss your legal options. A lawyer can advise you of whether it makes sense to take legal action against the negligent party.
In this article:
- What Can I Recover from a Wrongful Death Claim?
- Why Do I Need a Vacaville Wrongful Death Attorney?
- What Should I Look For in a Vacaville Wrongful Death Attorney?
- Will My Case Settle or Go To Trial?
This is an important question many clients ask when first meeting with an attorney. If you decide to move forward with a wrongful death claim, you have the right to pursue the following economic and non-economic damages:
- Loss of your deceased loved one’s earnings, including future earnings
- Your loss of a partner and companion in life
- The loss of guidance and mentorship provided by the decedent to your children
- Burial expenses
- Funeral expenses
- Any medical bills incurred as a result of the accident (e.g., emergency room bill, ambulance bill, etc.)
- Emotional trauma and stress associated with a sudden loss (i.e. pain and suffering)
It is recommended that, at the very least, you speak to a wrongful death lawyer to get an idea of what legal options are available. The vast majority of personal injury and wrongful death lawyers in Vacaville offer free initial consultations so there is no financial cost to you to meet with an attorney.
Hiring an attorney makes sense when considering all of the factors that go into obtaining a financial recovery from the negligent party’s insurance policy. You need to contact the insurance company, submit paperwork including itemized bills, negotiate with a claims adjuster, and so forth. The process can be overwhelming, especially if you are also in the midst of grieving the loss of your loved one.
A Vacaville wrongful death attorney can take this burden off of you. Your lawyer will conduct a thorough investigation of the incident and all available forms of insurance coverage. Once the insurance company, or companies, are contacted, your lawyer will negotiate on your behalf in an effort to reach a satisfactory settlement, or file a lawsuit.
For more on wrongful death claims, watch the following video:What Should I Look For in a Vacaville Wrongful Death Attorney?
The lawyer you choose can make a major difference in the outcome of your case. If you retain an attorney with extensive experience and a reputation as a top-notch litigator, there is a greater percentage chance of achieving a satisfactory settlement. If you hire an attorney with little experience who has no trial experience, there is a greater chance the insurance company will make low-ball settlement offers. Below are some important traits you should look for in your hiring decision:
- the lawyer is compassionate and sensitive to your situation
- the lawyer takes the time to explain all of the available legal options to you
- the lawyer has a reputation as a quality litigator (you can verify this on third party web site like Avvo)
- the lawyer has actually taken a wrongful death case to trial and achieved success
Unfortunately, there is no definitive answer to this question since each case is different. I can tell you that the overwhelming majority of personal injury and wrongful death cases settle without the need to impanel a jury (we’re talking well over 90 percent of claims settle). Nevertheless, it is possible a trial may be necessary, especially if liability is contested or the insurance company is making low-ball settlement offers. In this situation, your attorney proves invaluable since they take on the task of filing a lawsuit, drafting necessary pleadings, taking depositions, etc.
Losing a loved one is always gut-wrenching, but the pain is made that much worse when the loss is sudden and totally unexpected.Vacaville Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Vacaville Wrongful Death Lawyer. If you have lost a loved one due to wrongful death, please call me today for free, friendly advice at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400.
:sb bw [cs 875]
Photo by Pixabay
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 5.27.20]