Ukiah Motorcycle Accident Attorney
A motorcycle accident results in some of the most serious injuries in traffic collisions. A motorcycle rider has less protection, and the bike is less stable on the roadways than a 4-wheeled vehicle.
Although the fatality rate for motorcyclists dropped by 5 percent in 2018, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, they are still overrepresented when it comes to traffic fatalities. Seventy-eight percent of all motorcycle accident injuries are caused by passenger vehicles. As in other personal injury cases, a motorcyclist who is injured by a negligent driver can obtain compensation to pay their medical expenses, lost time at work, and for their pain and suffering.Help Following a Motorcycle Accident
When you've suffered an injury or lost a loved one in a motorcycle crash caused by someone else's negligence, you need to know that the Ukiah motorcycle accident lawyer you choose can do the job. You want to find one who will fight for your best interests and has the experience and skill to win. At AutoAccident.com, we've successfully handled many motorcycle accident cases in Northern California and work hard to get you the compensation you deserve. Feel free to download my book, California Motorcycle Accident Handbook, which is free for Kindle.Major Causes of an Accident With a Motorcycle
Motorcyclists know that they have to be cautious when going out on their bikes, and many of them are. However, despite taking every precaution, staying safe on California roads and streets can be challenging. Some of the ways motorcycle riders are injured due to negligence by another motorist or entity include:
- Making an unsafe lane change: A driver who does not check their blind spots or forgets to use a turn signal when changing lanes can end up colliding with a motorcycle rider, causing serious injuries.
- Speeding: A speeding vehicle has less chance of spotting a motorcyclist and reacting in time to prevent a collision. In addition, the faster a car is traveling, the more serious the injuries to a cyclist.
- Dooring: This is a common type of accident among motorcycle riders and bicyclists. It occurs when a driver opens their door without looking first for oncoming traffic. In a dooring collision with a motorcyclist, the rider can be ejected from their bike.
- Sudden stops: A motorist who stops short can cause a motorcyclist to strike the back of their vehicle and be ejected, causing severe injuries or a fatality.
- Drunk driving: Motorists who are driving drunk are responsible for a large percentage of accidents, including motorcycle riders. Drunk drivers can face both criminal charges and civil actions because of their negligence.
- Lane splitting: Lane splitting is legal in California. However, a motorist who does not stay alert for motorcyclists can end up causing an accident injury.
- Left turns: Not permitting others the right of way or misjudging distance is a common way drivers can be responsible for a motorcycle collision.
- Bad road maintenance: Potholes, pavement that is crumbling, faded lines, and other problems can lead to a motorcycle accident. The government entity responsible for maintaining roadways, signs, and signals can be held responsible for any injuries suffered due to negligence.
- Defective motorcycle parts: If a defective part in a motorcycle causes a crash and resulting injuries, the manufacturer, designer, and others can be held responsible through a product liability lawsuit.
An experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Ukiah can help you get fair compensation for your accident injuries or the loss of a loved one. Our investigators leave no stone unturned in uncovering evidence to support your claim. They review the police report for mistakes, interview the witnesses, and perform accident reconstruction to bolster your claim. They search for nearby cameras for traffic surveillance and at businesses to see whether the accident was captured on tape. They look for road damage that might have caused your motorcycle accident, from potholes and fissures in the pavement to debris and non-functioning traffic signals. Once all the evidence is compiled, the investigators give our lawyers a strong case against the at-fault party. This information can be used to negotiate on your behalf with the insurance company or in a court case.Compensation From the Insurance Company
In some cases, for example, in a hit and run, the at-fault person cannot be found. However, if the motorcycle rider carries uninsured/underinsured motorist protection, insurance will pay for their injuries. Uninsured/underinsured coverage applies to injured in a motor vehicle, on a motorcycle or bicycle, and pedestrians. If the motorcycle rider does not carry this type of insurance and another person in the household does, their policy can pay for the injury. Insurance rates do not go up when this type of insurance is used.
Ukiah motorcycle accident attorney Ed Smith discusses why you should hire a lawyer following your injury:
Related articles by Ukiah motorcycle accident attorney Ed Smith:
- What to Do at the Scene of Your Motorcycle Accident
- Motorcycle Rider Rights Following an Accident
- Obtaining Fair Compensation for Your Motorcycle Accident Injury
Those injured in a motorcycle accident caused by another's negligent actions can claim compensation to cover their lost wages, medical costs, and pain and suffering. Call our skilled Ukiah motorcycle accident attorneys for free and friendly advice at (707) 564-1900 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to discuss your case. We can be messaged using the online form also.
We have successfully handled many traffic collisions since 1982 as an injury lawyer in addition to wrongful deaths and traumatic injuries.
See our client reviews and cases that our law firm has handled in the past at:
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 6.8.21]
Photo by Sourav Mishra from Pexels
:cd cha [cs 1019]