Tracy Slip and Fall Lawyer
A slip and fall is the most common cause of accidents in the United States, with more than one million emergency room visits reported each year. Because injuries from a slip and fall can be serious, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports the average cost of this type of accident can be as high as $40,000. When you’ve been injured in an accident caused by another’s negligence, a Tracy slip and fall lawyer can help you get fair compensation to cover your medical expenses, the time you lost from being unable to work and for your pain and suffering.What Can Affect the Value of My Claim?
Certain factors are considered when placing a value on your claim following a slip and fall accident. Among them are:
- How serious your injuries are: A major factor in determining the strength of your claim is the severity of your injuries. Medical bills may still be significant even when seemingly minor injuries are sustained, but more severe trauma, such as fractures of the hip, spinal cord damage or traumatic brain injuries, can have more serious financial consequences.
- Medical costs caused by your accident: If the accident was caused by someone else's negligence, they are responsible for any expenses you incur as a result, including all of your medical costs.
- Inability to work: A serious slip and fall injury can leave a person unable to work, at least temporarily. Damages can be sought for current and future lost wages if you can’t return to your job or have to take one that is lower-paying.
- Quality of life: If you suffer from chronic pain or cannot enjoy things you did before, your claim may be more valuable.
Yes, they are. Most California slip and fall cases are settled by negotiating with the at-fault party’s insurance company. However, it’s necessary to construct a strong case to support your claim. This pushes the insurance company to settle instead of trying to lower the amount or deny it. With the assistance of a dedicated Tracy slip and fall attorney to help you prove your case, you stand a much higher chance of obtaining the compensation you deserve.Are There Things I Shouldn’t Do Following My Slip and Fall Injury?
Some things you should not do are:
- Document your injury but don’t say it was your fault: While you should report your injury accident to the manager or property owner, saying it was partially your fault due to your embarrassment can be a mistake. Wait until you’ve talked to a Tracy slip and fall lawyer before you’ve discussed your injury with the at-fault party. Otherwise, what you say innocently might be used against you.
- If you’re hurt, don’t act as though you aren’t: It can be embarrassing and awkward to take a spill, so your first temptation may be to downplay it by saying you’re fine when you aren’t. However, injury symptoms can be delayed, and although you may feel fine at the time, problems could arise later. This type of reaction can be used against you later by the defendant or insurance company. If you’re injured, say so but don’t expand on it. After all, you haven’t even seen a doctor yet, and your trauma could be more serious than you think.
- Don’t allow the insurance company to record a statement: Insurance companies or investigators hired by them like to push an injured person to provide a recorded statement. Their real objective is to have information they can twist around that can potentially be used against you. Let your injury lawyer from Tracy handle the case for you because they are experienced in dealing with the tricks used by insurance companies.
- Don't talk about your injuries on social media. In fact, it is a good idea to stay off social media while your personal injury claim is active.
- Consult your attorney before accepting a settlement: While you may be unable to work and the medical bills are mounting, accepting an early offer from the insurance company to settle your claim can be a mistake. Insurance companies often make a low-ball offer at first, hoping the client will settle and not be able to come back on them later. Letting your slip and fall lawyer from Tracy handle the negotiations is in your best interest to recover what you deserve.
By doing the following, you are providing evidence to support your injury claim:
- Ask for an accident report and fill it out. Make sure to get a copy.
- Take photos or a video with your cell phone to document what happened, including the spill or other item that made you fall. Take photos of your injury also, because bruising and swelling may be gone later. Documentation of your trauma supports your claim for pain and suffering. In addition, photograph or film any nearby surveillance cameras.
- Obtain the contact information from any witnesses because they can support your claim.
- Go to the emergency room or your doctor after your accident, both for treatment and evaluation and to have your slip and fall documented. Keep a record of your appointments, medical bills, treatment and medications as well as the level of pain you are suffering each day.
- Place the clothing and shoes you wore in a plastic bag and retain them. It’s easy to forget what you were wearing the day you were injured, and insurance companies will attempt to blame you by saying your shoes or clothing caused the accident.
Accident reports from stores or public properties are used to detail an injury. This information is important because it documents the injury claim following a slip and fall. Filling one out right away helps you because your memory can fade with time. Items usually found on an accident report include:
- You will have to write down the location, date and time of your accident along with details.
- The form may ask for the names of those who are involved such as the owner of the property or manager, witnesses' names, etc.
- One area of the accident report will include where you can write about the circumstances that led to your slip and fall and factors that caused it such as a wet floor with no warning sign, a walkway that was obstructed, etc. Extra space may be available to add more information.
When you are dealing with an insurance company because you suffered a slip and fall injury, it can be difficult to obtain the compensation you deserve on your own. Insurance companies are experienced in talking people into accepting compensation too early, especially since they know you owe medical bills and may have no income coming in because you can’t work. This is when you need the assistance of a Tracy slip and fall attorney to ensure you obtain compensation to cover all your medical and other losses.
Take a look at the following video presented by attorney Ed Smith. The video explains the seven steps to hiring the best personal injury law firm for your case.Tracy Slip and Fall Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Tracy slip and fall lawyer. The team of injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com has the determination, drive and legal acumen to take your injury claim to a successful conclusion and offer free and friendly advice. Call to set up a free consultation online or in-person with one of our injury lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400. You can also reach us online. As an additional incentive, find out how we have helped others by visiting Verdicts and Settlements on our website.
:cd  bw