Sacramento Taxi Accident Lawyer
It is important to note that lawsuits arising from taxi accidents are not too different from other personal injury lawsuits involving a car accident. Generally, car accidents are caused by the recklessness or negligence of another party, though common carriers and taxi drivers are usually held to higher standards of care when performing their duties. Common carriers are typically required to exercise diligence and utmost care when transporting their passengers. Just like any car accident, if you are involved in an accident involving a taxi, or common carrier, you should never assume that the insurance company of the person at fault for the crash will automatically compensate you for the damages you sustain. Accordingly, whether you were a passenger in an airport shuttle or taxi cab that was involved in a crash with another vehicle or your own vehicle was in an accident with a taxi, you need an experienced and dedicated Sacramento Taxi Accident Attorney by your side to help protect your legal rights and to help you obtain the compensation to which you are entitled.What Should I Do If I Have Been In An Accident Involving A Taxi?
It’s no secret that immediately after any motor vehicle accident, you can be overcome with stress, anxiety, and confusion. However, take a deep breath and make sure to follow a few steps and gather the information you need to protect your legal rights.
If you have been in an accident involving a taxi, shuttle, limousine, or another form of public transportation be sure to:
- Stop and assess the situation. Determine whether those involved in the accident have been injured, assess the extent of the damage, and call for assistance if you feel it may be necessary. In California, if you fail to stop at the scene of a crash in which you have been involved could result in other criminal charges.
- Obtain the driver’s license numbers and proof of financial responsibility or insurance of any and all drivers that were involved in the accident;
- Obtain the taxi cab, shuttle, or limo driver’s name, taxi or livery registration number, and any contact information for their employer;
- If you are able, taking photographs of the accident scene and property damage will be helpful in the event of a lawsuit;
- If there are any witnesses to the accident, it is important to obtain their contact information as their testimony can be helpful for establishing who caused the crash;
- If the police were called to the scene, be sure to request a copy of the police officer’s accident report;
- If you were injured, it is important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. While at the hospital or clinic, be sure to let the doctor know you were involved in a car accident so that they know to test for possible internal injuries.
- Call an experienced and knowledgeable Sacramento Taxi Accident Lawyer as soon as possible to review the facts and evidence in your case, explain your rights and options under the law, and determine your chances for a successful personal injury claim.
Even though cab drivers and common carriers are required to be diligent and use the utmost care when transporting their passengers, it doesn’t always happen. Cab drivers are somewhat notorious for failing to follow traffic laws, such as traveling over the speed limit, running red lights, failing to yield, and making illegal lane changes. Oftentimes, a cab driver is in a hurry and looking to turnover passengers as quickly as possible; in other words, time equals money, and a cab driver’s bottom line can lead to negligent driving behavior and accidents. But did you know that if a taxi is considered a common carrier under California law, they are required to have black boxes within the vehicle that can record speed, time, and velocity? Therefore, if you have been in an accident involving a taxi or common carrier, the black box can be used to determine when and how the accident happened.
In addition to safe driving, common carriers, such as shuttles, must be properly maintained to keep occupants safe. Moreover, while a taxi or shuttle company is generally liable for an accident, a taxi cab, shuttle or limousine driver can also be liable for a crash that might have been caused by their own negligence, inattentiveness, failure to obey traffic laws, or even if the accident is caused because they are under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It is also important to note that if the driver was using a cell phone at the time of the accident, the driver might also be found liable as cellphone use while driving is also prohibited in California.Damages Available To Those Involved In Taxi Accidents
If you or a family member have been in an accident involving a taxi in the Sacramento area, whether you were a passenger in the taxi, an occupant of a different vehicle, or a pedestrian, an experienced Sacramento Taxi Accident lawyer can help you determine whether relief for your injuries and damages is available to you. No matter whether your injuries are severe or minor, you could not have to deal with the insurance companies or worry about filing a lawsuit alone. A knowledgeable Sacramento injury lawyer can review the facts and evidence in your case, and help determine the best strategy for obtaining the compensation you deserve.
If you believe that the common carrier or taxi driver was at fault for the accident, it is possible to obtain damages for:
- Medical expenses, whether they are current medical expenses or expenses you might expect to incur in the future;
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress;
- Permanent disability;
- Reduced earning capacity.
As mentioned in the preceding, taxi companies are generally responsible for taxi passengers and therefore liable in the event of an accident. Therefore, when deciding which taxi or shuttle company to use, keep in mind that larger taxi and common carrier companies will usually have more comprehensive insurance coverage than smaller, lesser-known companies. In addition, once you are inside the taxi or shuttle, be sure to buckle your seat belt if one is available, and if the seat belts are not in working order, it may be a good idea to select a different taxi. If you are involved in a taxi accident and it is found that you were not wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash, it is possible that you may be unable to obtain full compensation for your injuries. Moreover, if you feel that the driver of your taxi or shuttle is driving recklessly or dangerously, it is important that you speak up and ask them to slow down or pull over so that you can get out and find another taxi. Even if you take these steps to keep yourself safe, accidents still do happen. If you are involved in an accident involving a taxi, remember to follow the steps as mentioned above.Contact An Experienced Sacramento Taxi Cab Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident involving a taxi cab, shuttle, limousine, or another common carrier, it is important that you consult with a knowledgeable and experienced Sacramento Taxi Cab Accident Attorney as soon as possible. A seasoned attorney who knows how to deal with these cases and insurance companies will be able to review your case and help you determine your best chances of successfully obtaining the compensation you deserve. You do not have to deal with insurance companies and filing lawsuits on your own behalf. Having an experienced Sacramento Taxi Cab Accident Lawyer by your side can ensure that you receive compensation for your injuries and other damages.Taxi Accident Lawyers in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Taxi Accident Lawyer. If you or a family member has been seriously hurt in an accident involving a taxi cab, please call me today at 916.921.6400 or 800.404.5400 for free, friendly advice.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 11.9.20]
Photo Attribution: RyanMcGuire on Pixabay