Stockton Slip and Fall Lawyer
Did you sustain significant injuries in Stockton after slipping and falling because of someone else's negligence? If the accident was the fault of another person, then an experienced Stockton slip and fall attorney can help. Our skilled lawyers at AutoAccident.com will determine the cause of the incident, collect the evidence to prove your claim and help you receive compensation. You shouldn't have to shoulder the cost of your injuries alone.Scheduling a Free Case Review
American seniors over 65 are more likely to suffer injuries and death from slip and fall accidents than anyone else, regardless of age. Those at fault for such an accident can be held liable if they suffer an injury. To schedule a free, no-obligation case review, contact our legal team at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.The Benefits of Contacting an Injury Lawyer After a Slip or Trip and Fall
Our slip and fall attorneys in Stockton, California, will examine the facts of your case, answer any questions you have, and discuss your options moving forward. We offer free consultations and work on a contingency basis, so you don't pay us anything until we have won your case. This lets those injured in slip and fall accidents who are out of work due to these injuries fight for their rights without having to pay money they can't afford.Recoverable Damages from a Slip and Fall Accident
No two slip and fall cases are alike, and the value of a claim isn't fixed. However, the recovery of damages in a slip and fall accident includes the following:
- Medical costs: Expenses related to a person's illness or injury, including hospital care, diagnostic testing, physician fees, medications, and rehabilitative care, are recoverable. Your attorney will include future medical expenses, such as surgeries, therapies, or medications, if necessary, as part of the settlement process. Assistive devices, home/vehicle modifications, and nursing care at your house are also factored into the settlement if they apply.
- Pain and suffering: Slip and fall injuries include pain and suffering that vary according to the severity and permanent nature of your trauma, which can be compensated. Chronic pain, severe emotional distress, and psychological disorders such as anxiety, fear, and post-traumatic stress syndrome are also calculated for compensation. During the investigation of your accident claim, your slip and fall attorneys in Stockton will also consider your inability to engage in activities you enjoyed before your accident occurred and can no longer do.
- Loss of wages: When you miss work because of a slip and fall accident, you can lose wages because of the inability to go to work. You are entitled to compensation for lost wages because of your accident. Additionally, commissions, job benefits, and other perks are lost, especially if you become disabled. Should you be permanently unable to work, you will have all wage losses calculated until retirement.
- Pain and suffering: In addition to compensation for your physical pain and suffering, you may be able to recover damages for your emotional/psychological trauma, which is common after an accident.
Liability in this type of accident depends on the location where it happens. An experienced Stockton slip and fall lawyer can determine liability and help you get the compensation you deserve. Among those who may be responsible for injuries sustained by visitors or patrons on the property are:
- Managers or lessees of commercial properties
- Government-owned properties
- Owners or landlords of rental properties
- Owners of public venues such as swimming pools, concert halls, sporting events, and amusement parks
- Managers and owners of airports, train and bus stations
- Government-owned local, state, and federal parks and attractions
Many factors can cause a slip or trip and fall accident, including the following:
- The most common cause of slip and fall accidents is water, or other liquids spilled on a floor.
- In grocery stores, the absence of slip-proof mats around produce isles may result in accidents.
- A fall may be caused by leaking drink and ice machines in stores where protective non-slip mats are not provided.
- If items are stacked or arranged haphazardly, they can cause a customer to fall if knocked off.
- Upheavals, broken curbs, or potholes can cause a slip and fall on private, commercial, or government properties.
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration standards that protect workers from slip, trip, and fall accidents do not always ensure company compliance. When this happens, the injured employee can claim damages through workers' compensation.
- Bunched carpeting, loose cords, and additional hazards can result in a slip or trip and fall in a retail store.
- A slip or trip and fall can be caused by loose handrails, carpeting, uneven treads, or poor lighting on stairs.
- Accidents may occur if elevator floors are uneven, causing trips and falls.
- Lack of inspection, missing teeth, and protruding bolts can cause dangerous escalators in department stores.
The types of injuries caused by a slip, trip, or fall depending on how the individual fell and whether their body struck anything, such as a piece of furniture or stationary object. The following are some of the most common slip and fall injuries:
- Cervical strain or sprain: Commonly called whiplash, injury to the neck area can cause tingling or numbness, headaches, and pain down through the shoulders, limiting movement. While most cases heal within several months, this condition can become chronic and last long, interfering with the injured party's ability to enjoy their life.
- Bone fractures: Fractured bones can appear in any part of the body. While some heal in about six weeks, more severe fractures can take much longer. It may be necessary to implant a prosthetic device to treat a pelvic fracture, for example, which heals slowly.
- Injury to the musculoskeletal system: Torn ligaments and tendons are joints in the legs and back. Physical therapy or surgery may be necessary in many cases to heal tears.
- Spinal cord trauma: A back injury is often accompanied by injuries to the spinal cord and the vertebrae that support it. These conditions can cause chronic pain, and surgery is often necessary. Sometimes, the gel-like substance cushions the vertebrae from rubbing against each other and is displaced. The disappearance of this gel-like substance places pressure on the spinal nerves that supply different areas of the body. Damage to the spinal cord may also result in partial or complete paralysis, either from the waist down or the neck down. In these cases, the injured person may not care for themselves and require assistance at home or in a nursing facility.
- Injury to the brain: This can take many forms, such as concussions, hematomas, or a fractured skull. The most serious of all brain traumas is a diffuse axonal injury. Trauma prevents the brain's nerve cells from communicating with the body. The brain cannot function normally, and many people die from this injury.
Watch this video for suggestions on finding the right personal injury attorney to handle your slip and fall accident case.Contact a Stockton Slip and Fall Accident Attorney Today
If you have been injured in a slip, trip, or fall accident, call our experienced lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice.
If you have questions or concerns, our Stockton slip and fall accident lawyers can answer them and evaluate your case so that you will be fully informed of all the recovery options available. Please feel free to reach out to us online as well. Check out our Verdicts and Settlements page to learn how our injury lawyers have helped others.