South Sacramento Brain Injury Lawyer
If you have legal questions, I'd like to see if I can answer them. Call me for free, friendly legal advice at 916.921.6400.Top Causes of Brain Damage
The causes of head trauma are wide and varied. Our South Sacramento brain injury attorneys often handle TBI cases arising from:
- Motorcycle Accidents: Everyone who has ever ridden a motorcycle understands that it is vital to wear a helmet every time. Unlike a car, motorcycles do not have a protective metal frame to shield the riders from the road. If an accident occurs, it is important to wear a helmet to protect the head from serious trauma. Even a motorcycle accident at low speed can lead to a disastrous injury if someone's head strikes the pavement. It is better to be prepared for this ahead of time.
- Slip and Fall Accident: While motorcycle accidents are examples of high-speed injuries, even a simple slip and fall can lead to a traumatic brain injury. When someone slips, they lose their balance and often are not able to stop their fall with their arms and hands. If someone falls backward and strikes their head on the floor, this can lead to serious brain damage, such as that of a brain bleed. These are even more common in the elderly population where their balance tends to be worse than their younger counterparts.
- Pedestrian Injuries: The risk of a brain injury exists even while crossing the street. While pedestrians are encouraged to use crosswalks, they typically have the right of way over that of a motor vehicle. If a pedestrian is struck by a car or motorcycle, they develop serious injuries as a result. If their skull collides with the hood of a car or the hard pavement, they can suffer catastrophic brain injuries from which they may never recover.
The examples above represent only a small selection of the many different ways that someone might suffer neurological trauma. For those wondering how to spot a traumatic brain injury, there are several symptoms to remember.Symptoms of a Head Injury
The type of brain injury and its severity will heavily influence the symptoms that individuals should keep an eye out for. This variety of symptoms is what makes diagnosing a brain injury so challenging. A few of the problems that everyone needs to look out for encompass:
- Alterations in Personality: The location of the brain damage will influence the personality changes that someone might experience. These could be as innocuous as appearing slightly more irritable than usual; however, serious injuries could cause someone to lose all inhibition and judgment. This can lead to bizarre behavior that indicates possible brain damage.
- Emotional Swings: Trauma to the brain can also lead to dramatic emotional swings that someone might not typically experience. For example, someone could be profusely crying one moment and acting manic in the next. These emotional swings are not typical behavior and should clue someone into possible neurological trauma.
- Sensory Changes: Sensory changes can also accompany neurological injuries. Someone could have difficulty differentiating between hot and cold temperatures due to nerve damage. Their extremities could feel numb. They might also feel extreme pain in different areas of their body. Their coordination could be impaired. Depending on the location of the injury, these sensory changes could be significant.
- Difficulty with Basic Tasks: Someone who has suffered neurological damage may struggle with basic tasks. This could include tying their shoes, opening or closing a door, and carrying on a conversation. They might have trouble cooking a meal or washing their clothes. These are activities of daily living that someone with brain damage could struggle with.
When a loved one has suffered a brain injury, it is important to seek the best medical care around. After this, it is important to think about the logistical problems that might develop with serious medical injuries. Examples are:
- Financial Problems: The medical bills that go along with neurological damage can be significant. Even for people with health insurance, these policies could have large deductibles that still must be paid. What is a family to do?
- An Investigation: The circumstances that accompany these accidents should always be investigated to the fullest extent possible. Who should be asked for help?
- Negligence Problems: There are numerous causes of traumatic brain injuries and some are due to the negligence of someone else. If the actions of someone else directly led to the traumatic brain injury, shouldn't that individual or entity be held responsible?
It is not unusual for families to feel a significant amount of stress when a loved one has sustained a serious medical injury. If this happens, speaking with a compassionate brain injury attorney in South Sacramento can help to relieve some of this stress.
The video below discusses some of the treatments of traumatic brain injuries.Brain Injury Lawyers in South Sacramento, CA
A traumatic brain injury is often the most devastating result of an accident and the last to be diagnosed. For your best chances of obtaining financial compensation, contact an experienced TBI attorney at AutoAccident.com for free, friendly legal advice at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 today.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 11.3.20]
Photo by Pixabay
:dr [cs 1062]