South Lake Tahoe Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Hi, I’m Ed Smith, a South Lake Tahoe personal injury attorney. My office handles only serious personal injury and/or wrongful deaths cases. I have been assisting injury victims and their families in South Lake Tahoe and throughout Northern California since 1982. If you or a family member has been seriously injured or killed in an accident, please call me at (530) 392-9400 locally for free, friendly advice.South Lake Tahoe – El Dorado County
I have called California home since 1970, although my roots run all the way back to Brooklyn, New York. I am a frequent visitor to the Lake Tahoe area, where I enjoy hiking in the mountains when I am not busy representing my personal injury clients.
At present, South Lake Tahoe has the largest population in El Dorado County, California with over 21,000 residents. The city has a bustling tourism industry and is situated right on the state line between California and Nevada. South Lake Tahoe is home to several casinos and boasts a wide array of outdoor activities such as skiing, camping, hiking, and boating.
If you are injured while on summer vacation or as a resident, in a boating accident on Lake Tahoe, an intersection accident on Lake Tahoe Boulevard, a taxi accident near Lake Tahoe Airport, at a grocery store in South Lake Tahoe, or anywhere in Lake Valley give me a call today.Selecting a Personal Injury Attorney in South Lake Tahoe
People are often intimidated by the prospect of having to find an attorney. It is a process that can seem insurmountable to most, particularly because there are so many factors that can feed into the decision of who to hire. Potential clients often resort to doing searches on the Internet to find representation, and such searches can produce an extensive list of possibilities. The same applies to the South Lake Tahoe area.
Here is a Youtube video I created that will help you select a qualified and experienced personal injury attorney:Be Sure To Check Yelp and Google Reviews
Just like any business, law firms, regardless of size, often have a social media presence that can be informative for prospective clients. Such sites like YELP provide past clients with the opportunity to provide reviews and ratings, which others can use in the future. Other law firms in the South Lake Tahoe area fail to advertise ratings and reviews provided on YELP and other social media sites, which may raise questions for prospective clients. On the other hand, my law firm actively maintains a YELP profile that has received extensive reviews. My law office averages five stars out of a five in past customer reviews. Similarly, I also actively maintain a Google profile which has received similar accolades from former and current clients. I do not shy away from social media reviews. I embrace them. I am confident about the quality of the representation my office provides. My customer reviews speak volumes of the kind of service you will receive when you choose my office to handle your personal injury case.Check For An Avvo Rating
Another crucial factor is the results of peer reviews for an attorney on sites like AVVO. This site calculates review ratings using mathematical models using data from state bar associations and other public websites. Some of the South Lake Tahoe law firms we looked up fail to provide peer-review profiles on AVVO. In contrast, my office has received excellent AVVO ratings – 10 out of 10, which is the highest possible rating – which speaks volumes regarding my standing in the legal community.Look For Client Testimonials
The importance of actual client testimonials cannot be understated in the search for legal representation. The availability of these testimonials provides positive evidence of the quality of representation a firm can provide, especially since it shows clients are satisfied enough to provide such testimonials for the benefit of the firm and others. Notably, the former and current clients of my law practice have provided written, audio, and video testimonials that offer detailed accounts of how I have assisted them with their cases and provided them with compassionate representation.Choose an Attorney Who Publishes and Speaks in His or Her Field of Expertise
Another thing to take into consideration when choosing a good personal injury attorney is whether or not they are considered by others as highly experienced in their field of practice. Try to select a lawyer who has appeared in media speaking about their area of expertise. Have they written publications that are considered a resource for other attorneys? Do they have experience speaking in lectures, seminars, or continuing legal education classes? In that regard, I have written publications on car accident personal injury and motorcycle accident cases. I also previously hosted a cable talk show regarding personal injury issues.I Practice In Personal Injury Law Exclusively
I have practiced personal injury law exclusively since the start of my legal career in the early 80s. Legal proficiency is an essential quality that potential clients should look for when considering an attorney, because specialization means a high-level knowledge of the law in a field, in addition to the applicable procedures and the ground-level realities of litigating a particular kind of case. The same applies to personal injury, and attorneys who primarily focus on personal injury law are better suited to achieving favorable results for clients as opposed to generalists who practice many areas of law but achieve mastery of none of them. I can provide this kind of focused legal representation to my clients and I know the ins and outs of establishing liability, collecting the right evidence to support a case, and how to aggressively advocate for my clients' interests before insurance companies.Listing of Past Verdicts and Settlements
I make available on my website an extensive listing of past verdicts and settlements I have achieved on behalf of my clients. These include multi-million dollar amounts that I have recovered on behalf of clients. Because of these successful recoveries ranging from $300,000 up to $25 million dollars, I have been admitted into the Million Dollar Forum, an organization that consists of personal injury lawyers who have successfully obtained verdicts and settlements that amount to more than a million dollars. Additionally, a record of successful verdicts proves that I am not shy to take a case to trial if necessary and I am not afraid to face insurance companies in court if they refuse to vindicate the rights of my clients by making unreasonably low settlement offers.Choose an Attorney Who Is Active in the Legal Community
I maintain active memberships in various bar and legal associations. First and foremost, I maintain good standing with the California State Bar and I have been admitted to practice law in the state from the start of my legal career. Since my firm’s primary offices are located in Sacramento, I maintain an active membership with the Sacramento County Bar Association. I also value being on the cutting edge of trial practice as a trial attorney, and thus, I am an active member of the Capital City Trial Lawyers Association and the American Trial Lawyers Association.You May Be Wondering Why My Office is Located in Sacramento
You may be wondering why I handle South Lake Tahoe personal injury cases from my Sacramento office. Many South Lake Tahoe attorneys have relocated from the area because of the recent recession and the stagnation of the local economy. Even though my practice is located in Sacramento, I am happy and willing to advocate for South Lake Tahoe clients who have a serious personal injury or wrongful death case.
After an initial consultation with a potential client, and I find that the prospective case has merit and that I would be a good fit for that client, I will go to extraordinary lengths to conduct a face-to-face meeting. I am willing to pay for the potential client’s transportation, lodging, and airfare for a face-to-face meeting in Sacramento. I will also pay for overnight lodging so a potential client is not burdened with same-day travel to Sacramento and back.Severe Personal Injury and Wrongful Death in South Lake Tahoe
My law firm is a highly focused legal practice that only handles serious personal injury matters in South Lake Tahoe. These cases include:
- Serious Motor Vehicle Accidents. My practice is limited to representing clients in very serious vehicle accidents such as head-on collisions, motorcycle crashes, and large truck accidents that result in severe injuries or death, multi-vehicle accidents, or pedestrian accidents involving disabling injuries or death. South Lake Tahoe residents and visitors may also find themselves in serious boating accidents. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety, South Lake Tahoe had 45 total injuries and deaths caused by traffic crashes in 2013, out of which 22 involved the use of alcohol. The city had one pedestrian fatality and 14 pedestrian injuries in the same year.
- Products Liability, such as vehicle defects. I can pursue a product liability case involving dangerous manufacturing or design defect of a vehicle that resulted in a serious or fatal motor vehicle crash. These cases are complex and involve lots of expert testimony and witnesses, and an extensive collection of evidence.
- Premises Liability. These kinds of cases involve injuries suffered by people while present in commercial establishments where there was a dangerous condition or situation. Slip and fall accidents are common types of premises liability personal injury cases. The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) indicates that falls are the top non-vehicular cause of accidental deaths in the United States. There are many possible factors that may contribute to the likelihood of a slip and fall, including poorly-made walkways, slippery floors because of poor design or liquid substances, inadequate warnings, or poor lighting.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries. Traumatic brain injuries, also known as “TBI” can result from head trauma such as being in a motor vehicle accident or taking a fall. Brain Injuries do not always manifest immediately after the injuring event, but in time begin to reveal emotional, physical, or cognitive disabilities. Some folks with this type of injury have to endure with it for the remainder of their lives. I typically use qualified medical experts to prove a traumatic brain injury and obtain compensation for my clients who have to live with the life-altering and long-term effects of TBIs.
- Wrongful Death. Cases of wrongful death arise when someone passes away due to another person’s negligent or acts of recklessness. I help families file wrongful death claims on behalf of their spouse, children, domestic partner, siblings, parents or other family members with legitimate legal interests as defined under California law. Plaintiffs in wrongful death matters can recover compensation for a wide variety of damages, including hospital and medical bills, funeral costs, and lost income (including potential future earnings) from the family member who lost their life.
I’m Ed Smith, a South Lake Tahoe Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer. If you or someone close to you has been seriously injured in an accident, please call me anytime at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
Meet my dedicated and friendly staff.
I’m a California Million Dollar Advocate. Members in this association are successful trial attorneys who have won numerous verdicts and settlements worth well over one million dollars.
Verify my excellent Past Verdicts and Settlements.
I’ve been practicing in the field of personal injury law exclusively since 1982.FAQs for South Lake Tahoe
Q: Do you have any recommendations for a good chiropractor in South Lake Tahoe?
A: I found the following Chiropractors through YELP that have great reviews.
Glenn C. Miller, DC
3121 Harrison Ave.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Mountain Meadow Chiropractic
591 Tahoe Keys Blvd.
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Q: Who can you recommend in South Lake Tahoe for good auto repair services?
A: The auto repair shops listed below had extensive positive reviews and ratings on YELP.
Eloise Automotive & Alignment
2143 Eloise Avenue
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
927 Eloise Avenue
South Lake Tahoe, CA 96150
Q: Where are the most dangerous intersections in South Lake Tahoe?
A: Here is a historical listing of dangerous intersections in South Lake Tahoe with the highest frequency of motor vehicle accidents.
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & Winnemucca Ave
- 4th St & Barton Ave
- Emerald Bay Rd & Lake Tahoe Blvd
- Route 50 & Lake Tahoe Blvd
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & Emerald Bay Rd
- Palmira Ave & Reno Ave
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & 2nd St
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & 4th St
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & Tahoe Keys Blvd
- Martin Ave & Knox Ave
- Emerald Ln & 5th St
- Ski Run Blvd & Tamarack Ave
- Ski run Blvd & Pioneer Trail
- Pioneer Trail & Walkup Rd
- Fairway Ave & Fawn Way
- Wildwood Ave & Alder Ave
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & Heavenly Village Way
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & Wildwood Ave
- Lake Tahoe Blvd & Transit Way
- Glen Rd & Rocky Point Rd
- Glenwood Way and Fairway Ave
Image Attribution: Courtesy of AmadscientistMark James Miller (Own work) [Images in the Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons
Photo by Cheyenne Knowles, Fabian Quintero on Unsplash
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 2.11.19]