Sonora Motorcycle Accident Attorney
The population of Sonora, California, was just 4,844 as of 2019. The city is the Tuolumne County seat. The city's name originates from the fact that its founders were Gold Rush miners who traveled to the region from the Mexican state of Sonora. Sonora was a boomtown for some time, but its size and population steadily decreased as "gold fever" died.
Despite its relatively small size, the city has an avid motorcycle population and is home to several motorcycle dealers and repair businesses. As with any city, accident risks exist when motorcyclists travel the same roads as other vehicle traffic. The motorcyclist is usually the most seriously injured when a rider is involved in a crash with a larger passenger vehicle. And while some motorcycle accidents can be attributed to careless riding, in most cases, the crash occurs because the vehicle driver was not keeping a proper lookout.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, the experienced injury attorneys at AutoAccident.com can help. With the utmost care and compassion, we also handle wrongful death cases on behalf of bereaved families. If you need our help, do not hesitate to call (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.Sonora Motorcycling: The Sonora Pass
The Sonora Pass is a popular route for experienced motorcyclists in the warmer months - it closes during the winter. The pass links Sonora in the west to Bridgeport in the east. Riders enjoy its spectacular panoramic views of mountains, meadows, waterfalls, and wildflowers. The top of the pass is around 10,000 feet in elevation, and the ride has many twists on steep and narrow roads. It is not recommended for beginning riders.Drivers Often Blame Motorcyclists for Accidents
Vehicle drivers who are involved in a crash with a motorcyclist will often try to lay the blame on the rider. A skilled Sonora motorcycle accident attorney can counter this narrative by gathering substantial evidence and making sound arguments.
Some things to remember:
- Motorcyclists have the same rights as other motorists.
- Most riders are cautious and follow the rules of the road. The perception that motorcyclists are lawless criminals is an outdated trope once pushed by Hollywood movies.
- Even with proper safety gear, motorcyclists have must less protection than other motorists and, therefore, are more likely to suffer severe injuries in a crash.
Retaining an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer after a crash is one of the best ways you can protect your legal and financial interests. Having a legal advocate allows you to focus on your physical recovery.Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
While there are all sorts of ways that accidents occur, we see some repeating causes concerning motorcycle accidents:
- Motorists do not keep a proper lookout. This may be the most common cause of motorcycles crashes. Drivers will say, "I did not see them." This is partly because a motorcycle is a lower profile vehicle - smaller and somewhat harder to see, but other factors are at play. Studies have looked at brain activity, and it has been determined that people weed out information that they deem unimportant. If a driver is only concerned with looking out for other cars and trucks, even subconsciously, it may result in a phenomenon known as inattentional blindness. This strange occurrence is the cause of many motorcycle accidents. Although it has a scientific explanation, it does not absolve the negligent driver of responsibility. Drivers are required to keep a lookout for motorcycles, as well as bicyclists and pedestrians, in addition to other vehicles.
- Distracted drivers. We all see it daily - people behind the wheel who are texting or looking at their mobile phones. This is the cause of many accidents.
- Impaired driving. A driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol does not have the appropriate cognitive skills, judgment, or reflexes to drive safely.
- Tailgating. It is hazardous for a car or truck to follow a motorcycle too closely. Motorcycles can stop much faster than larger vehicles, and a rider can be thrown from the bike, causing catastrophic injuries.
- Adverse road conditions. Cracks in the road, construction debris, potholes, loose gravel, and shoulder drop-offs are just some dangerous conditions a motorcyclist may encounter during a ride.
An experienced Sonora motorcycle accident attorney can help an injured motorcyclist, or the family of a rider killed in an accident. Our law firm has advocated on behalf of injured Sonora residents since 1982. The compassionate attorneys at our firm know how devastating and life-changing injuries from a motorcycle accident can be.
By having skilled legal counsel on your side, you will be protected from the tactics used by insurance companies. The most important goal for the insurance adjuster handling your injury claim is to pay as little as possible. It is much easier for the insurance to lowball your claim if you try to handle the matter on your own. An experienced motorcycle injury lawyer knows the games that insurance companies play and knows how to win.
An injured rider may be experiencing many things that put them at a disadvantage when trying to negotiate with an insurance adjuster, including physical pain, anxiety and worry, and financial loss. They may feel pushed to settle quickly because they need money and cannot work due to their injuries. All of this is understandable. The insurance company will use these vulnerabilities to its own advantage and will push to get you to settle quickly and for far less than your claim may be worth. Once you release the insurance company by accepting a settlement for your injuries, you will not be able to go back for more if your medical bills and income loss continue to accumulate. This is why it is crucial to consult with a skilled lawyer after a severe motorcycle accident.
Watch the video below to learn about how you can afford to hire a motorcycle accident lawyer through the attorney's contingency fee arrangement.Call Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Sonora, CA
If you have suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident, the experienced Sonora motorcycle accident attorneys can help protect your legal rights and maximize your financial recovery while allowing you to focus your energies on healing. To receive our free and friendly legal advice, call us at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.
Please take a few minutes to learn more about our firm by visiting the links below:
Photo Attribution: Harley-Davidson via Unsplash
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 7.5.22]
mm [cs 1103] cha