Shasta Lake Truck Accident Lawyer
Those who live in Shasta Lake are often forced to take a highway to Redding or even Sacramento along I-5 and share the roadway with big rigs, hoping to avoid an accident. While living in a smaller town has its advantages, more prominent places offer those hard-to-get items you can't always do without. Plus you have the benefit of taking in a live concert, visiting a museum and other attractions.
The increase in vehicles and commercial trucks on California highways means you are more at risk for a collision with a tractor-trailer or other commercial truck. Because of the complexity of an accident with a big truck, consulting with an attorney who handles these cases can help you obtain fair compensation.What We Can Do To Help
A big truck collision can result in serious injuries, and we can help you pursue the compensation you deserve. Providing quality service and representation since 1982, AutoAccident.com's injury attorneys have successfully obtained compensation for many Shasta County residents. A Shasta Lake truck accident attorney understands that finding the right lawyer can be difficult, and that's why we want you to know that our office has the experience and legal talent to obtain the injury compensation you're entitled to.What Are the Differences Between Truck Accidents and Motor Vehicle Crashes?
It isn't surprising that severe injuries and fatalities occur after a collision between a big rig and a motor vehicle that weighs less than 4,000 pounds. Truck drivers must undergo background checks and drug testing under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation Act. They have mandated rest breaks, periods between trips, and the number of hours they are allowed to drive.
As part of the strict standards, vehicles must be inspected before they go on the road, and loads must be checked. The at-fault truck driver and the company that employs him or her can be held responsible if these regulations have been violated. To establish a solid claim for damages, the assistance of a truck accident lawyer is necessary.Negligence by Drivers and Companies in Truck Accidents
Truck drivers and the companies that employ them are responsible for many accidents involving big rigs. Negligence can contribute to an accident requiring the assistance of a truck accident lawyer in Shasta Lake, such as:
- Inexperienced drivers: Due to the national shortage of truckers, some companies might hire drivers with no experience handling big rigs. It's problematic because big commercial trucks don't take the same way as passenger vehicles and have particular problems, such as the no-zones surrounding them. The chances of an accident are higher when a driver is inexperienced.
- Distracted driving: Texting, fiddling with a radio, and staring off into space are distractions that can result from long hours on the road. Anything that takes the driver's focus off the roadway and surrounding traffic can end up causing a severe accident.
- Speeding: Many accidents are caused by truck drivers speeding to make a delivery on schedule, especially if they do not allow enough time for the trip or traffic jams occur.
- Fatigue: Tiredness and boredom are common among truckers who spend a lot of time on the road. Drivers are sometimes pushed by their employers to meet a deadline faster, which results in stress and fatigue.
- Drug use: Even though few truckers drink alcohol and drive because of the low BAC level to be declared legally intoxicated, they may take drugs to stay awake and alert during long hauls. There are prescription and over-the-counter medicines that can reduce the driver's ability to use clear judgment and cause the driver's reflexes and vision to be impaired. A truck accident attorney from Shasta Lake can help establish your compensation claim when drug use is proven to be the cause of an accident.
- Poor truck maintenance: Bad brakes, worn tires, or steering and accelerator problems can cause accidents.
The types of accidents involving big rigs are similar to other traffic collisions, such as head-ons or broadsides. However, some accidents occur only when a large truck is involved. Among these types of truck accidents are:
- Jackknife accidents: Inexperienced drivers or brake errors can cause a jackknife accident. An accident caused by a jackknife occurs when the trailer swings to one side because it travels faster than the cab portion. This can lead to accidents with vehicles, pedestrians, motorcyclists, or others.
- Underride and override accidents: The rear of big rigs must be protected from underride accidents. In some cases, these protective barriers are either outdated and insufficiently protect other motorists, or they are not fitted to all big trucks. Underride/override accidents often cause fatalities and severe injuries, including brain and spinal cord damage.
- Accidents in no-zones: Big trucks have blind spots on all sides of the vehicle, especially along the trailer's sides, which can result in accidents. A trucker who attempts a lane change while forgetting a car on his side can cause an accident resulting in severe injuries or fatalities.
A truck accident lawyer in Shasta Lake may help you recover fair compensation to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. We send our investigative team to the accident site quickly to gather the evidence needed to support your claim before it is covered over or disappears. Some of the areas in which an investigation is conducted include the following:
- The electronic logging device in the truck is examined to see if the driver violated any state or federal regulations.
- The trucker's cell phone can be checked to see if they are texting or talking while driving.
- As well as accident reconstruction, surveillance cameras at traffic and business sites may have captured footage of the accident.
- The trucker's driving record is checked for past traffic infractions or accidents.
- Company records are checked for regular maintenance of their vehicles and any problems with accidents involving their drivers, which could indicate they urge their truckers to reach their destinations faster.
- Anyone who witnessed the accident as it happened is interviewed.
- The investigators go over the accident report filed by the police to ensure its accuracy.
Our lawyers build a strong case for our client as soon as all the evidence has been collected. We can use your case evidence either to negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf or to prepare a case for court if negotiations are unsuccessful or don't fulfill your financial needs.
In the following video, attorney Ed Smith talks about things to look for when choosing a personal injury lawyer:Shasta Lake Truck Accident Lawyer
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, contact our Shasta Lake truck accident lawyers for free, friendly advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, you can reach us online. We would be honored to set up a consultation for you in person or virtually. During that consultation, we can give you a free review of your case, answer any questions, and let you know about options to recover damages.
Over the years, our injury lawyers have had many satisfied clients who provide the best proof you cannot go wrong when choosing our law firm for legal advice or representation. See the cases we have handled on our Settlements and Verdicts page.
:cd llo