Santa Barbara Motorcycle Accident Attorney
There are many reasons why someone might enjoy riding a motorcycle. For some, it is the feeling of the wind rushing past them. For others, it is the experience of freedom as they ride down the highway; however, when a motorcycle accident develops, everyone deserves assistance. From day one, I have been representing the people of the Santa Barbara, California area after all types of motorcycle accidents. I have developed a reputation for providing friendly, compassionate guidance whether the accident involves property damage, personal injury, drunk driving, or even a hit and run. I can also work with people who have had accidents due to flawed design or product defects within the motorcycle itself.An Overview of Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, California has become a popular destination for people looking to put down roots as well as tourists who visit on vacation. Because of the beautiful weather the area exhibits almost every day of the year, the town has been nicknamed the American Riviera. The population of Santa Barbara is known for its friendly, welcoming nature that accompanies the gorgeous climate perfectly. It is home to one of the top universities in the country, the University of California at Santa Barbara, and has numerous outdoor activities, such as the Los Padres National Forest.Numerous Circumstances Leading to Motorcycle Accidents
While auto accidents may range in severity from small fender benders to massive multi-car collisions, almost every motorcycle accident is severe due to the lack of protection between the rider and the road. There are myriad reasons why someone might be involved in a motorcycle accident, including:
- Distracted Driving: With the technology of today, it is easy for people to become distracted and not see a motorcycle, particularly since they are smaller than the average car. The driver may have been negligent, intoxicated, texting, or otherwise not paying attention to their surroundings. These distractions are common causes of collisions.
- Poor Road Conditions: Over time, roads become damaged and may fall into a state of disrepair. It is the city’s responsibility to maintain the roads and problems such as potholes can seriously damage the wheels of a vehicle, particularly a motorcycle, leading to an accident. Bike tires could explode, motorcycles can lose their balance, and drivers could be injured.
- Motorcycle Design Flaws: All products range in quality and motorcycles are no different; however, people should always expect to purchase a safe motorcycle from the manufacturer. If the motorcycle was designed poorly, inherent product defects could lead to serious safety concerns and cause accidents.
In addition to the circumstances above, there are also locations throughout Santa Barbara where accidents commonly occur. It is important for drivers of all vehicles, including motorcycles, to take extra caution at these intersections to ensure that they don’t become the next collision at these locations. The dangerous intersections in Santa Barbara include:
- RT 101 and Las Posadas Road
- Las Gaviotas and Cliff Drive
- Mission Street and State Street
These locations are among the most dangerous intersections due to their high accident rates when compared to other intersections throughout the city.Motorcycle Accidents Can Result in Serious Injuries
Without a metal frame to protect the driver from the pavement, it’s not unusual for people involved in motorcycle accidents to suffer serious medical injuries as a result. Some of these traumatic injuries can lead to long-term complications and comorbidities that could have an adverse impact on not only the patient but also their loved ones. Injuries sustained in accidents involving motorcycles may include:
- Bone fractures
- Severe burns ranging from first to third degree
- Whiplash, neck pain, and headaches
- Nerve damage, possibly leading to chronic pain or loss of motor and sensory function
- Spinal cord injuries that could lead to paralysis
- Serious extremity trauma that could result in amputation of one or more limbs
- Traumatic brain injuries
These injuries represent only a small fraction of the wide variety of personal injuries that could result from an accident. It is important for anyone who has been hurt in a motorcycle collision to seek medical attention immediately to maximize their potential for a successful recovery.
Watch the video below to learn more about why motorcyclists are more likely to get injured in an accident.Financial Stress Can Result from Motorcycle Accidents
In addition to the medical injuries and the property damage, motorcycle accidents can place patients and their families under a significant amount of financial stress. While many people have health insurance, these plans often come with high deductibles that patients and their families could be responsible for. Furthermore, some health insurance plans may not completely cover medical expenses. If a patient requires a stay in the intensive care unit or surgical operations, these bills can pile up quickly. If a health insurance plan has a lifetime maximum, this could be reached rapidly, leaving patients and their loved ones to pay for the remainder. For patients who require extensive rehab upon discharge from the hospital, this only adds to the financial pressure that the family is already feeling. It is important for every patient to think about how a trained legal professional may be able to help pay for these expenses.Santa Barbara Motorcycle Accident Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Santa Barbara Motorcycle Accident Attorney. Because of the very nature of motorcycles, every accident involving one deserves to be taken seriously. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, please call our injury lawyers at (805) 372-0200 or (800) 404-5400 for friendly, free advice.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 12.30.20]
:dr bw [CS 1105]