Santa Barbara Motorcycle Accident Attorney
There are many reasons why someone might enjoy riding a motorcycle. For some, it is the feeling of the wind rushing past them. For others, it is the experience of freedom as they ride down the highway. However, accidents involving a motorcycle can cause serious injuries.
Since 1982, we have represented Santa Barbara, California residents in their motorcycle accidents. We have developed a reputation for providing friendly, compassionate guidance whether the accident involves property damage, personal injury, drunk driving, or even a hit and run. We also work with people who have had accidents due to flawed design or product defects within the motorcycle.Living in Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara, California, has become a popular destination for people looking to put down roots and tourists who visit on vacation. Because of the beautiful year-round weather, the town has been nicknamed the American Riviera. Santa Barbara's population is known for its friendly, welcoming nature that accompanies the gorgeous climate perfectly. It is home to one of the top universities in the country, the University of California at Santa Barbara. It has numerous outdoor activities, such as the Los Padres National Forest.Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
While auto accidents may range in severity from minor fender benders to massive multi-car collisions, almost every motorcycle accident is severe due to the lack of protection between the rider and the road. There are myriad reasons why someone might be involved in a motorcycle accident, including:
- Distracted Driving: Today's technology makes it easy for people to become distracted and not see a motorcycle, mainly because they are smaller than the average car. The driver may have been negligent, intoxicated, texting, or not paying attention to their surroundings. These distractions are common causes of collisions.
- Poor Road Conditions: Over time, roads become damaged and may fall into disrepair. It is the city's responsibility to maintain the roads, and problems such as potholes can seriously damage the wheels of a vehicle, particularly a motorcycle, leading to an accident. Bike tires could explode, motorcycles could lose their balance, and drivers could be injured.
- Motorcycle Design Flaws: All products range in quality, and motorcycles are no different; however, people should always expect to purchase a safe motorcycle from the manufacturer. If the motorcycle was designed poorly, inherent product defects could lead to serious safety concerns and cause accidents.
There are locations throughout Santa Barbara where accidents commonly occur. It is essential for drivers, including motorcycles, to take extra caution at these intersections. The dangerous intersections in Santa Barbara include:
- RT 101 and Las Posadas Road
- Las Gaviotas and Cliff Drive
- Mission Street and State Street
These intersections are among the most dangerous due to their high accident rates compared to other intersections throughout the city.Motorcycle Accidents Can Result in Serious Injuries
Without a metal frame to protect the driver from the pavement, it's not unusual for people involved in motorcycle accidents to suffer serious medical injuries. Some of these traumatic injuries can lead to long-term complications and comorbidities that could hurt patients and their loved ones. Injuries sustained in accidents involving motorcycles may include:
- Bone fractures
- Severe burns ranging from first to third-degree
- Whiplash, neck pain, and headaches
- Nerve damage, possibly leading to chronic pain or loss of motor and sensory function.
- Spinal cord injuries that could lead to paralysis
- Severe extremity trauma that could result in the amputation of one or more limbs
- Traumatic brain injuries
These injuries represent only a tiny fraction of the personal injuries resulting from an accident. It is essential for anyone who has been hurt in a motorcycle collision to seek medical attention immediately to maximize their potential for a successful recovery.
Watch the video below to learn why motorcyclists are more likely to get injured in an accident.Financial Stress Can Result from Motorcycle Accidents
In addition to medical injuries and property damage, motorcycle accidents can place patients and their families under significant financial stress. While many people have health insurance, these plans often have high deductibles.
Furthermore, some health insurance plans may not completely cover medical expenses. If a patient requires a stay in the intensive care unit or surgical operations, these bills can pile up quickly. If a health insurance plan has a lifetime maximum, this could be reached rapidly, leaving patients and their loved ones to pay for the remainder.
For patients requiring extensive rehab upon discharge from the hospital, this only adds to the financial pressure the family is already feeling. Every patient needs to consider how a trained legal professional may help pay for these expenses.Santa Barbara Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Accidents involving motorcycles can cause serious injuries. If you or a loved one has been involved in a motorcycle accident, please call our injury lawyers at (805) 372-0200 or (800) 404-5400 for friendly, free advice.
See our past cases on our Verdicts and Settlements page.