Rocklin Dog Bite Lawyer
The old adage is that a dog is man’s best friend. Unfortunately, this does not always prove to be true. In fact, when a dog becomes vicious and attacks someone, the ramifications can be quite serious. Many dog attack victims wind up suffering horrific, permanent injuries or even losing their lives.Dog Bite Statistics
Each and every day, approximately one thousand people in the United States require emergency treatment for serious dog bite injuries. Furthermore, nearly 9,500 people require hospitalization due to a dog attack. If that was not awful enough, it turns out that the most common victim of a fatal dog attack is a young child no older than the age of nine. Furthermore, the majority of vicious dog attacks were committed by a dog belonging to a close neighbor or friend, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.Financial Restitution Through a Dog Bite Injury Claim
A dog attack can leave both physical and emotional scars that may take weeks or months to heal, if ever. This is why you are legally allowed to pursue a dog bite injury claim against the owner and seek a recovery financially for medical bills, lost wages, and other pain and suffering.Strict California Law Holds Dog Owners Responsible
California does not mess around when it comes to holding a dog owner responsible for the injuries caused by their pet. According to California Civil Section 3342, also known as California’s dog-bite law, a dog owner is “strictly liable” for the injuries caused by their dog. A good way to think of strict liability is this: nowhere to hide. The owner of the dog cannot hide or evade liability. It does not matter if the dog owner treated the dog well or they had no idea that their dog was capable of attacking and hurting another person. The dog owner will likely be required to compensate you for your injuries. This stands in stark contrast to some other states that give dog owners a proverbial “free pass” for the first bite (also known as the “one-bite rule”) before they become liable for the damages caused by their dog. But again, this is not the law of the land in California. Dog owners become liable from the very first bite.What To Do to Strengthen Your Rocklin Dog Bite Case
To fully preserve your right to a fair recovery, you can take some different steps to strengthen your potential claim. You do not need to complete all of the following steps before you contact a Rocklin dog bite attorney, but these tips are helpful in preserving key evidence and laying the foundation for a strong personal injury claim.
- Seek medical care immediately. Your well-being is the most important factor. Do not wait to seek help if you are injured in any way.
- Identify the dog that bit you. If you know the breed of dog, size, and its appearance, that information can help. Most importantly, identify the owner of the dog. This is critical. A dog bite personal injury claim is typically filed against the homeowner’s insurance policy of the dog owner. The information you should seek to obtain will include the owner’s name, address, phone number, and e-mail address, if possible.
- Track down any witnesses to the attack and get their contact information. In filing your claim, witness statements can help establish the facts of your case. You want to avoid a messy he-said-she-said style of accusation if possible.
- Photograph any wounds or bruises. Pictures can help establish the extent of your injuries at the time of the attack. Please also photograph any ripped, torn, or bloodied clothing.
- Contact Local Animal Control (Rocklin, Sacramento, Roseville) to report the incident. Animal control will ask you to file an incident report that they will investigate further.
- Contact an experienced Rocklin dog bite lawyer to schedule a free consultation. During the meeting, a lawyer will typically sit down with you to discuss the facts of your potential case including the scope of your injuries, whether anyone saw the attack, and if you have the contact information of the dog owner. If moving forward makes sense to both you and the lawyer, a claim can be filed to recover compensation for your injuries and other losses.
The video below provides some tips on how to keep yourself and your kids safe from dog bite injuries.Rocklin Dog Bite Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a dog bite lawyer in Rocklin. If you have suffered a dog bite injury or a family member was killed tragically by a vicious dog, please call me for free, friendly advice at 916.921.6400 or 800.404.5400.
Some of my Verdicts and Settlements are available here.
I am a California Million Dollar Forum member. The forum includes the nation’s top-ranking personal injury lawyers who have obtained million dollar verdicts.
:sb bw [cs 876]
Photo by ab
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 5.14.19]