Rocklin Brain Injury Lawyer
Those who suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can leave their family and friends searching for answers. Sometimes, a patient could lose the ability to move certain body parts. Other times, a TBI could remove many of the mental skills that a patient used to be able to take for granted. They could lose sensation to certain parts of their body or deal with personality changes. Unfortunately, these are only a few of the many realities that someone suffering head trauma must face.
This is a common refrain for many patients facing the diagnosis of a brain injury. As more research is done into brain trauma, the list of causes only appears to grow longer. Common types of TBI cases our Rocklin, CA traumatic brain injury attorneys handle include:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Even something as innocuous as a fall can lead to serious brain damage. For example, someone may slip and fall on a pool deck while enjoying the summer weather. A slip and fall injury can even occur at work. People should always heed wet floor signs and avoid running on a slippery surface.
- Product Liability Issues: Sometimes, a poorly manufactured or employed product can lead to a head injury. For example, if someone suffers head trauma in a car accident because something in the vehicle did not function properly, this could be a product liability issue.
- Bicycle Accidents: Everyone has been told to wear a helmet while riding a bike. While this is an important safety measure, this might not be enough. A biker who collides with a vehicle can suffer serious medical consequences. Trauma to the head is only one example.
- Vehicle Accidents: Most people know someone who has been injured in a motor vehicle accident. A car accident, motorcycle mishap, or truck collision can lead to neurological damage for the drivers and any passengers involved. For this reason, everyone should make sure they wear their seat belt (in cars and trucks) and helmets (on motorcycles) to protect against catastrophic accidents. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle collision and suffered a TBI, reach out to a skilled Rocklin, CA brain injury lawyer for free, friendly advice regarding your potential claim.
When a patient has suffered a brain injury in a catastrophic accident, some treatment options might be employed, including:
- Medical Therapy: Patients could be placed on a variety of different medications to help their traumatic brain injury. Some of the medicines will be put in place to reduce the patient’s pain from the TBI. Some might be asked to take drugs that will help control their blood pressure. Anti-inflammatories might also be used to reduce swelling.
- Surgical Options: Sometimes, surgery is necessary. Some patients have suffered skull fractures that need to be repaired. Patients might also have bleeding that must be stopped and evacuated from the skull cavity. This, combined with any swelling that has resulted from the injury, could increase the risk of a brain herniation. This would be a devastating complication that must be avoided at all costs.
The short video below discusses the various types of traumatic brain injury treatment.Reducing Stress is Key
TBI patients and their families could be feeling stress from a variety of locations. In addition to the medical consequences of head trauma, other issues that families might have to deal with include:
- Logistical Issues: When a loved one is in the hospital, it might seem like the family’s life is frozen in time. Unfortunately, life must go on. While someone is in the hospital, family members might be wondering about how to handle missed days at work. Kids may have trouble getting to school. Transportation to and from the hospital might be a problem. It is important to remember to ask for help when needed.
- Financial Circumstances: People often wonder how much this is going to cost. Unfortunately, this is often hard to pin down. It all depends on the patient’s insurance status, deductible, coinsurance, surgical treatment, length of stay, and follow-up issues. Some financial counselors can provide help in this area.
- Rehab Visits: Even once the TBI patient goes home, they might have some rehab visits. These are important as patients attempt to return to baseline. Some families often wonder how the patient is going to arrive at rehab, particularly while wondering if they will ever return to work.
An attorney who has successfully handled TBI cases like yours can provide details on your legal options for compensation. Contact our law firm today at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 to receive free, friendly advice from our Rocklin brain injury lawyers regarding your potential head trauma claim.