Rocklin Brain Injury Lawyer
Those who suffer a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can leave their family and friends searching for answers. The injured person could lose the ability to move certain body parts. They could lose sensation in certain body parts or deal with personality changes. Unfortunately, these are only a few realities someone suffering from head trauma could face.
If you suffered a TBI in a catastrophic accident, contact an experienced injury lawyer at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice regarding your potential claim. There is no cost to speak to an experienced traumatic brain injury attorney, and so much knowledge to gain regarding filing a TBI case.Main Causes of Traumatic Brain Injuries
This is a common refrain for many patients diagnosed with a brain injury. With more research into brain trauma, the list of causes only appears to grow longer. The following are common types of TBI cases our Rocklin traumatic brain injury attorneys handle:
- Slip and Fall Accidents: Even something as innocuous as a fall can lead to severe brain damage. For example, someone may slip and fall on a pool deck while enjoying the summer weather. A slip and fall injury can even occur at work. People should always heed wet floor signs and avoid running on a slippery surface.
- Product Liability Issues: A poorly manufactured or employed product can sometimes lead to a head injury. For example, if someone suffers head trauma in a car accident because something in the vehicle did not function properly, this could be a product liability issue.
- Bicycle Accidents: Everyone has been told to wear a bike helmet. While this is an important safety measure, this might not be enough. A biker who collides with a vehicle can suffer serious medical consequences, and trauma to the head is only one example.
- Vehicle Accidents: Most people know someone injured in a motor vehicle accident. A car accident, motorcycle mishap, or truck collision can lead to neurological damage for the drivers and any passengers involved. For this reason, everyone should wear their seat belt (in cars and trucks) and helmets (on motorcycles) to protect against catastrophic accidents. If you have been involved in a motor vehicle collision and suffered a TBI, contact a skilled Rocklin, CA, brain injury lawyer for free, friendly advice regarding your potential claim.
When a patient has suffered a brain injury in a catastrophic accident, some treatment options might be employed, including:
- Medical Therapy: Patients could be prescribed various medications to help their traumatic brain injury. Some medicines will be implemented to reduce the patient's pain from the TBI. Some might be asked to take drugs to help control their blood pressure. Anti-inflammatories might also be used to reduce swelling.
- Surgical Options: Sometimes, surgery is necessary. Some patients have suffered skull fractures that need to be repaired. Patients might also have bleeding that must be stopped and evacuated from the skull cavity. This, combined with any swelling that has resulted from the injury, could increase the risk of brain herniation. This would be a devastating complication that must be avoided at all costs.
The short video below discusses the various types of traumatic brain injury treatment.Reducing Stress is Key
TBI patients and their families could be feeling stress from various locations. In addition to the medical consequences of head trauma, other issues that families might have to deal with include:
- Logistical Issues: When a loved one is in the hospital, it might seem like the family's life is frozen. Unfortunately, life must go on. While someone is in the hospital, family members might wonder how to handle missed days at work. Kids may have trouble getting to school. Transportation to and from the hospital might be a problem. It is important to remember to ask for help when needed.
- Financial Circumstances: People often wonder how much this is going to cost. Unfortunately, this is often hard to pin down. It all depends on the patient's insurance status, deductible, coinsurance, surgical treatment, length of stay, and follow-up issues. Some financial counselors can provide help in this area.
- Rehab Visits: Even once the TBI patient goes home, they might have some rehab visits. These are important as patients attempt to return to baseline. Some families often wonder how the patient will arrive at rehab, mainly while wondering if they will ever return to work.
What are some common brain injuries?
The most common brain injury in the U.S. is a concussion. Concerns over increasing concussions in sports have led to stricter safety standards to help protect athletes. Studies have shown that athletes, especially football players, are at a higher risk of traumatic brain injuries. Subconcussive trauma experienced over time from several injuries may lead to diminished cognitive ability. Common conditions associated with a brain injury include hematoma, hemorrhage, and damage to the brain lobes and brain stem.
What compensation is available for a brain injury claim?
You may recover economic and non-economic damages such as medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Punitive damages may be available if the injury is proven egregious. Assessing the value of a brain injury case depends on several factors. Working with an experienced brain injury attorney is essential if you or a loved one suffers a debilitating injury. Settling an injury claim before you reach a point of maximum medical improvement could undervalue your damage and leave you without the necessary funds for long-term medical care.
Call Our Brain Injury Attorneys in Rocklin, CA Today
An accident attorney who has successfully handled TBI cases like yours can provide details on your legal options for compensation. Contact our law firm today at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 to receive free, friendly advice from our Rocklin, CA brain injury lawyers regarding your potential head trauma claim.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 7.25.23] Photo by: Patrick Lynch, via Wikimedia Commons dr [cs 1083]