Riverbank Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Riverbank, northeast of Modesto in Stanislaus County, is a tranquil agricultural town of more than 22,000 people.A bit over an hour away from the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento, it offers a small-town atmosphere while providing opportunities to explore and enjoy what Northern California has to offer.Help From a Riverbank Car Accident Lawyer
Even though Riverbank does not have a large population, it has many accidents each year that result in injuries and fatalities. In 2017, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were 86 people either injured or killed in traffic collisions. Eight of the accidents involved pedestrians, four involved motorcyclists, and three collision injuries or fatalities were to bicycle riders. Twenty of those accidents involved speeding, and nine had drunk driving as a factor.
At the Law Offices of Edward A. Smith, we work hard to obtain compensation for those who were injured by someone else’s negligence in all types of traffic accidents. We believe that anyone who is injured by someone else or by the negligence of a government entity should not have to bear the brunt of their financial loss. We are here to help no matter what type of accident caused your injury or the loss of a loved one.Negotiating With an Insurance Company
While people commonly deal with an insurance company following a fender-bender, this is different from obtaining a fair settlement after an injury accident. Insurance companies are notorious for offering a low settlement, hoping that the injured person will accept it. If that person says yes and signs the settlement paper, it’s all over. Insurance companies count on this because they know the injured person is facing a string of bills that have to be paid. If their medical bills are higher, they have to stay off work longer or end up with a long-term injury, they can’t go back to the insurance company and ask for more money. Insurance companies are big and powerful because they know how to keep payouts small. Ways in which they can manipulate and avoid paying include:
- Asking if they can record a statement: Spoken language can be manipulated as simply as the adjuster asking how you are. Most people automatically respond with something, such as “Fine.” The insurance company can use this one word to say there is nothing wrong with you and deny the claim.
- Asking for copies of your medical records: An injured person should never agree to hand over their medical records on their own. Anything in your past medical history may be used against you. For example, you had a sprained back five years ago because you picked up something too heavy. The insurance company may very well argue that this is an old injury and that the damage to your back now didn’t happen because of the car accident.
- Take it or leave it offers: Between 80 and 90 percent of people who are injured by another person or entity settle with the insurance company out of fear because the insurer stonewalls raising the amount they will pay.
- Extensive delays: The insurer knows that the longer they take to pay you, the more frustrated you will become. This may lead an injured person to accept a settlement that won’t cover all their bills.
A Riverbank car accident lawyer knows all the pitfalls and tricks used by insurance companies to avoid paying an injured person what they deserve to cover all their expenses. The lawyer negotiates for you and can calculate how much you need to recover for your present costs and the amount you will need in the future if the injury is expected to continue. The lawyer also knows what you need to do to document your medical costs and other losses and can obtain money for the pain and suffering you endured.Proving a Personal Injury
Because negligence has to be proven in a personal injury case, our investigators go to work collecting evidence to support your claim. Our investigators go to the accident site right away to collect that evidence, check the police report for mistakes, and talk to witnesses. They look for business and traffic surveillance cameras that might have the accident on tape. The investigators look for problems with road maintenance by a government entity that may have added to or caused the crash. They also perform accident reconstruction, which shows the positioning of the vehicles before and after the collision. Then our injury lawyers go to work to build a strong case for the client, whether it is used in bargaining with the insurance company or presenting a claim in civil court on your behalf.Riverbank Personal Injury Lawyer
Since 1982, we've practiced exclusively in the area of personal injuries. We're sympathetic toward those who suffer accident injuries because they face high medical bills, lose time at work, and may face a long recuperation. This can cause severe financial stress. Our office has the needed expertise and resources to win your case, which is why we have the highest rating of 10 from Avvo, the legal ranking firm. Your first consultation is always free, and you pay nothing until your case is won.What Areas Are Covered by a Personal Injury Claim?
When injuries or deaths are caused by negligence by an individual, company, or government entity, the injured person or family may place a claim for damages. While many people know that includes traffic accidents, personal injuries cover a much wider range. Some of the areas covered by personal injury law where a claim for damages may be placed include:
- Bicycle accidents
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Electric scooter collisions
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Monsanto Roundup cancer injuries
- Pedestrian injuries
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle collisions
- Farming accidents
- Products liability
- Uber/Lyft accidents
- Wildfire injuries
When it comes to choosing a personal injury lawyer, it’s obvious there are many choices, and that can be confusing. The following tips may help you decide which lawyer to call when you’ve suffered a personal injury because of someone else’s negligent actions:
- Find a lawyer who practices personal injury law exclusively. Lawyers who handle multiple types of cases may not have the experience or knowledge to win a personal injury case.
- Ensure that the attorney is interested in your wants and the needs of not only yourself but your family. After all, a personal injury does affect all the loved ones you live with.
- Keep in mind that not all accident injury cases can be settled with an insurance company. In some, they have to be taken to civil court to obtain the compensation you deserve. Having an attorney who is experienced and comfortable in the courtroom is an important consideration when choosing a lawyer.
- A lawyer that has the financial resources to take a case to court is essential, although many cases are settled beforehand. It can make the difference in whether you receive a just settlement or receive less than you should.
- Find out if the lawyer can adequately investigate your case to support your claim. Investigations and supporting help in your case, such as employing an expert witness or performing accident reconstruction, have to be paid in advance, and not all attorneys have the wherewithal to do this.
- Does the attorney belong to associations and display his/her legal knowledge. A lawyer who has written books or articles on subjects about personal injury law can help you decide whether or not to call for advice.
- Find a lawyer who has a record of winning cases. This includes high figure settlements and verdicts. Lawyers with a track record of winning are happy to disclose this information.
- Check out the reviews on Avvo, Google, and Yelp. These unedited reviews will give you a good idea of whether that particular lawyer can do the job for you, and you will be pleased with the results.
The following video offers tips on choosing a Riverbank personal injury lawyer:Riverbank Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Riverbank car accident lawyer. In addition to the emotional and physical trauma, car accidents can cause financial difficulties. By recovering damages from the at-fault party, the injured person can concentrate on getting better without that added stress. Call us at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice. You can also message us online. As always, you pay nothing until your case is won.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 1.13.21]
Photo Attribution: Pixabay
:cd cha [cs 1606]