Riverbank Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Riverbank, northeast of Modesto in Stanislaus County, is a tranquil agricultural town of more than 22,000 people. A bit over an hour from the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento, it offers a small-town atmosphere and opportunities to explore and enjoy what Northern California offers.
Even though Riverbank does not have a large population, it has many accidents each year that result in injuries and fatalities. In 2017, according to the California Office of Traffic Safety, there were 86 people either injured or killed in traffic collisions. Eight accidents involved pedestrians, four involved motorcyclists, and three collision injuries or fatalities were to bicycle riders. Twenty of those accidents involved speeding, and nine had drunk driving as a factor.
At the Law Offices of Edward A. Smith, we work hard to obtain compensation for those injured by someone else’s negligence in all traffic accidents. We believe that anyone injured by someone else or by a government entity's negligence should not bear the brunt of their financial loss. We are here to help no matter what accident caused your injury or the loss of a loved one.Negotiating With an Insurance Company
While people commonly deal with an insurance company following a fender-bender, this differs from obtaining a fair settlement after an injury accident. Insurance companies are notorious for offering a low settlement, hoping the injured person will accept it. If that person says yes and signs the settlement paper, it’s all over.
Insurance companies count on this because they know the injured person faces a string of bills that must be paid. If their medical bills are higher, they have to stay off work longer or end up with a long-term injury, they can’t go back to the insurance company and ask for more money. Insurance companies are big and powerful because they know how to keep payouts small. Ways in which they can manipulate and avoid paying include:
- Asking if they can record a statement: Spoken language can be manipulated simply as the adjuster asks how you are. Most people automatically respond with something, such as “Fine.” The insurance company can use this word to say nothing is wrong with you and deny the claim.
- Asking for copies of your medical records: An injured person should never agree to hand over their medical records alone. Anything in your past medical history may be used against you. For example, you had a sprained back five years ago because you picked up something too heavy. The insurance company may very well argue that this is an old injury and that the damage to your back now didn’t happen because of the car accident.
- Take it or leave it offers: Between 80 and 90 percent of people injured by another person or entity settle with the insurance company out of fear because the insurer stonewalls raising the amount they will pay.
- Extensive delays: The insurer knows that the longer they pay you, the more frustrated you will become. This may lead an injured person to accept a settlement that won’t cover all their bills.
A Riverbank car accident lawyer knows all the pitfalls and tricks insurance companies use to avoid paying an injured person what they deserve to cover all their expenses. The lawyer negotiates for you and can calculate how much you need to recover for your present costs and the amount you will need in the future if the injury is expected to continue. The lawyer also knows what you need to do to document your medical costs and other losses and can obtain money for the pain and suffering you endured.Proving a Personal Injury
Because negligence must be proven in a personal injury case, our investigators collect evidence to support your claim. Our investigators immediately go to the accident site to collect that evidence, check the police report for mistakes, and talk to witnesses. They look for business and traffic surveillance cameras that might have the accident on tape. The investigators look for problems with road maintenance by a government entity that may have added to or caused the crash.
They also perform accident reconstruction, which shows the positioning of the vehicles before and after the collision. Our injury lawyers will work to build a strong case for the client, whether used in bargaining with the insurance company or presenting a claim in civil court on your behalf.Riverbank Personal Injury Lawyer
Since 1982, we've practiced exclusively in the area of personal injuries. We're sympathetic toward those who suffer accident injuries because they face high medical bills, lose time at work, and may face a long recuperation. This can cause severe financial stress. Our office has the expertise and resources to win your case, so we have the highest rating of 10 from Avvo, the legal ranking firm. Your first consultation is always free; you pay nothing until your case is won.What Areas Are Covered by a Personal Injury Claim?
When injuries or deaths are caused by negligence by an individual, company, or government entity, the injured person or family may claim damages. While many people know that includes traffic accidents, personal injuries are much wider. Some of the areas covered by personal injury law where a claim for damages may be placed include:
- Bicycle accidents
- Dog bites
- Construction site accidents
- Electric scooter collisions
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Monsanto Roundup cancer injuries
- Pedestrian injuries
- Truck accidents
- Motorcycle collisions
- Farming accidents
- Products liability
- Uber/Lyft accidents
- Wildfire injuries
When it comes to choosing a personal injury lawyer, it’s obvious many choices can be confusing. The following tips may help you decide which lawyer to call when you’ve suffered a personal injury because of someone else’s negligent actions:
- Find a lawyer who practices personal injury law exclusively. Lawyers who handle multiple cases may not have the experience or knowledge to win a personal injury case.
- Ensure that the attorney is interested in your wants and the needs of not only yourself but your family. After all, a personal injury does affect all the loved ones you live with.
- Not all accident injury cases can be settled with an insurance company. Some must be taken to civil court to obtain the compensation they deserve. Having an experienced and comfortable attorney in the courtroom is an important consideration when choosing a lawyer.
- A lawyer with the financial resources to take a case to court is essential, although many cases are settled beforehand. It can determine whether you receive a just settlement or less than you should.
- Find out if the lawyer can adequately investigate your case to support your claim. Investigations and supporting help in your case, such as employing an expert witness or performing accident reconstruction, must be paid in advance. Not all attorneys have the wherewithal to do this.
- Does the attorney belong to associations and display their legal knowledge. A lawyer who has written books or articles on subjects about personal injury law can help you decide whether or not to call for advice.
- Find a lawyer who has a record of winning cases. This includes high-figure settlements and verdicts. Lawyers with a track record of winning are happy to disclose this information.
- Check out the reviews on Avvo, Google, and Yelp. These unedited reviews will give you a good idea of whether that particular lawyer can do the job for you, and you will be pleased with the results.
The following video offers tips on choosing the best Riverbank personal injury lawyer for your case.Personal Injury Lawyers in Riverbank, CA
In addition to the emotional and physical trauma, car accidents can cause financial difficulties. By recovering damages from the at-fault party, the injured person can concentrate on getting better without added stress. Call our Riverbank personal injury lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can also message us online. You pay nothing until your case is won.
Editor’s Note: updated 11.16.23 Photo Attribution: Pixabay cd cha [cs 1355]