Ripon Truck Accident Lawyer
People riding in a passenger vehicle are more likely to suffer serious injuries when involved in a collision with a big truck, and the fatality rate is much higher. The reason is that a big truck, such as a semi, weighs between 20 and 30 times the weight of a motor vehicle, and it is much larger in size with less maneuverability and stopping power. Truck accidents are complex, and those involved in an accident with a big truck can benefit from the help of an experienced truck accident lawyer.
If you or a family member has sustained severe injuries in an accident involving a large commercial truck in Ripon, call our injury lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for a free no-obligation consultation.How an Experienced Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Trucks are governed by specific federal and state regulations that companies and drivers must follow. This includes inspection of the vehicle, required rest times, maintenance, and oversight of drivers. However, some drivers have been known to falsify logs, skimp on inspections, and maintain vehicles improperly. Others have been poorly trained and could be driving impaired or negligent in some other way. A truck accident attorney can investigate all parts of an accident to determine fault. This way, the attorney can build a strong accident compensation case, including damages from medical bills, lost time from work, and pain and suffering.Large Trucks in California
Californians commonly see large trucks on the roads since this is the preferred method to distribute products, foods, machinery, and other items around the state. Almost four million tons of products are transported daily, and the California Department of Motor Vehicles reports around five million big rigs are registered. Of those, more than two million are tractor-trailers.Causes of Big Rig Accidents
When a big rig is involved in an accident, the truck's momentum, force, and size can cause a multi-vehicle crash, resulting in numerous severe injuries. The following are some of the reasons for big truck accidents.
- Jackknifing accidents: Jackknifing can occur when a truck driver applies the wrong brakes or tries to make an emergency stop. This is caused when the trailer being towed moves at a higher speed than the tractor pulling it, causing it to slide around at an angle, similar to a jackknife when opened. This type of accident can also cause the truck to roll over. Because surrounding motor vehicles on the road have little time to react and get out of the way of a jackknifing truck, it can result in severe injuries.
- Underride accidents: This type of accident is the most deadly, causing yearly fatalities. It is caused when the truck stops suddenly and the vehicle behind slides underneath.
- Blindspot accidents: Big rigs have blind spots on all sides of the truck, including a sizeable blind spot along both sides. Unfortunately, if a passenger vehicle is riding in one of those blind spots when the truck driver decides to change lanes, it can cause an accident.
- Accidents caused by turning wide: Trucks need more space when making a right turn, so they frequently swing into the left lane to turn. This can cause a collision with vehicles in that lane.
- Poorly secured loads: An improperly secured load can shift inside a truck, causing a rollover accident. Loads on a flatbed truck that are wrongly secured can come loose and fall onto the roadway or on top of other vehicles.
Although the rate of fatalities in motor vehicle collisions with large trucks dropped to its lowest in 2011, it has increased since. According to the IIHS (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety), over 2600 people were killed in accidents with large trucks in 2016. Injuries from collisions with big rigs tend to be more severe, with over 500,000 injuries occurring yearly.
The following video explains the damages you can claim in a trucking accident lawsuit.Contact Our Truck Accident Lawyers in Ripon, CA
If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident with a large truck, call our experienced Ripon Truck Accident Lawyers at (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. See our past verdicts and settlements.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 9.1.23] StockSnap_1NSWGNVTL1 cd cha [cs 726]