Rio Linda Wrongful Death Lawyer
Over my 37 years as a wrongful death lawyer in Rio Linda, I’ve helped many grieving families get the compensation they deserve after the loss of a loved one that was caused by negligence. AutoAccident.com is here to help you recover financial compensation when your burden might be at its worst. Although it won’t help with the family’s grief and sense of loss, it can ease the anxiety of wondering how future expenses will be covered.Basics of a Wrongful Death
The basic elements of a wrongful death lawsuit are that the at-fault person or entity owed a duty of care toward others and failed in that duty, which led to someone’s death. The family of the decedent has to show that the person failed to use appropriate caution and was liable for the accident, which led to the fatality. In addition, the family of the decedent has to show that financial loss was involved.Causes of a Wrongful Death
Wrongful death can occur in a number of different ways. They include:
- Traffic accidents are the most common cause of wrongful death. They may involve other motorists, a pedestrian, bicycle rider, motorcyclist, or others.
- Defective products may result in a wrongful death such as a dresser falling on a child, a defect in an auto part causing an accident, or a balcony that collapses.
- Work accidents can cause a wrongful death in some instances. This can happen if equipment lacks necessary safeguards, workers are improperly trained or others. Even if the deceased was covered under workers’ compensation, if the accident was due to a third-party’s error, a lawsuit may be a better choice.
- Dog bites can cause a wrongful death if the person who was attacked dies. The dog’s owner is monetarily responsible for the dog’s actions.
- Government negligence can cause the death of a family member. A faulty traffic light, untrimmed branches that obscure the driver’s vision, and other areas that point to the lack of maintenance mean that the family can hold the government entity in charge liable. However, the deadline for filing against a government entity is much different than other personal injury cases. It is essential to contact a wrongful death lawyer in Rio Linda as soon as possible. If the claim is not filed in time, the family will be without recourse.
- Criminal acts that are intentional and cause someone’s death can be compensated. In addition, those who lose a loved one due to an intentional or egregious act may be entitled to punitive damages. Such damages are meant to punish the defendant. They are in addition to compensatory damages.
- Medical malpractice: A physician, hospital, or other medical professionals who fail in their duty of care to an individual can be held liable for their demise. For instance, this could happen when a person suffers a traumatic brain injury after a fall, but the doctor on duty in the E.R. fails to diagnose them accurately. The misdiagnosis is seen as a lack of proper care, and the doctor could be held responsible. If the doctor on duty is an employee, the hospital could also be held liable.
Watch the following video presented by attorney Ed Smith that explains wrongful death claims:Damages Following a Wrongful Death
When a loved one dies due to negligence by another, the family may claim compensation for the following:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Loss of support and inheritance
- Loss of earnings in the future
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of the love, care, companionship, and guidance of the decedent
- Benefit loss such as medical insurance and pension
- Value of the deceased’s services
- Mental anguish
- In some cases, punitive damages
Both my staff and I are cognizant of our client’s loss after a wrongful death. We feel their pain and empathize since most of us know what it is like to lose someone we love. We also understand their need to seek justice for their loved one who can no longer do it for themself.
A wrongful death lawsuit is only successful if evidence of liability is found. To do that, we send our investigators to unearth such evidence. The way it is done depends on the type of accident. If it was a traffic accident, the investigators go to the scene where they can talk to witnesses, obtain video from traffic cams, and use accident reconstruction techniques.
On the other hand, if the person died due to a dog bite, the investigators will talk to neighbors, the animal’s veterinarian, and others to see if it had previous vicious tendencies. Finally, if the person died due to medical negligence, experts will be used to review charts and determine the cause of death.Data Is Released to Our Legal Team
After the evidentiary data has been compiled, the investigators release it to our legal team. Our lawyers use the information to build a strong case for the family. We leave no stone unturned to get to the truth. You can be sure the defendant’s lawyer will be doing the same thing for their client. Our duty is to our client, the deceased’s family. Come in or reach out to us on the phone or virtually to discuss what can be done to help. There is never a charge for this review. In addition, we do not charge a fee until the wrongful death case is won.Rio Linda Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Rio Linda wrongful death lawyer. Losing a loved one can mean the family faces financial difficulties as well as pain and sorrow. However, if negligence by another person or entity caused the death of your loved one, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit to recover the financial loss as well as punish the wrongdoer. Please call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 if you would like to hear my free and friendly advice.
For information about my firm, please visit:
:cd cha [cs 1121]