Rio Dell Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Located on a prairie at the bend of Eel River, Rio Dell calls itself the Warm-Hearted City and has a population of 3,369 as of 2019. Redwood Highway runs through the middle of the town and connects it with Eureka to the north and Myers Flat and Garberville to the south. Surrounded by some of the most beautiful national forests in the country and with the Pacific Ocean to the west, Rio Dell residents are proud to have easy access to the best that nature has to offer. However, even in this idyllic setting, accidents can happen and cause injuries or the loss of a loved one, especially on the highways. This is where an experienced Rio Dell auto accident lawyer can help.A Short History of Rio Dell
Rio Dell in Humboldt County has a fascinating history. It was founded by an Ohio man named Alonzo Painter, who arrived in the area in the 1870s. Originally, the town was named Eagle Prairie. It was Painter who laid out the town, named the streets and built a hotel that he called the Rio Dell House. He also renamed the town, Rio Dell. By the 1940s, the town was growing quickly and by 1950 had reached a population of almost 2,000. Before it became incorporated in 1965, the downtown area was called Wildwood by the local residents, which apparently related to the Prohibition era’s problems with bootlegging and other activities.Negligence Causes Personal Injuries
My law firm handles many personal injury cases each year. While most people think of motor vehicle accidents, there are many areas in which a Rio Dell personal injury attorney can help. Some of those areas include:
- Airplane Crashes
- Bicycle Accidents
- Dog Bites
- Defective Medical Devices
- Drug Products Liability
- Injuries at public events
- Mesothelioma and Asbestos
- Pedestrian Accidents
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Common carriers and rideshares such as taxis, buses or trains, Uber and Lyft
- Truck Collisions
- Workers' Compensation
- Wrongful Death
- Car accidents
An experienced Rio Dell personal injury lawyer has access to sources to prove a case of negligence that isn’t available to the injured person. In addition to checking the police report for errors and talking to witnesses, the lawyer has access to professionals in accident reconstruction and expert witnesses. Depending on the case, the Rio Dell personal injury attorney may view video footage if the injury is due to a motor vehicle accident and interview nearby businesses to see if they have additional information. Between a lawyer’s knowledge of the law and techniques that can be used, a seasoned Rio Dell car accident lawyer builds a strong case for the recovery of personal injury damages.Personal Injury Damages
Personal injury compensation includes both economic and noneconomic damages. The following can be recovered in a claim:
- Medical expenses, current, and future if necessary are recoverable. This includes ambulance service, private nursing, home health care, and medications.
- Out of pocket costs such as trips to and from the doctor are recovered as well as adjustments made to a home to accommodate a disabled person, wheelchairs and other devices.
- Lost wages, including bonuses, tips, etc. are recoverable.
- Lost earning capacity is allowed if the individual cannot go back to their former job or cannot work in the future.
- Occupational therapy or training to reenter the job market in a different capacity is recoverable.
- Property damage that is not recovered through insurance can be paid through a personal injury claim.
- Pain and suffering from the onset of the injury and into the future if it is expected to continue can be recovered.
- Loss of a limb or other body part, scarring and disfigurement are recoverable.
- Reimbursement for activities the individual enjoyed before and can no longer perform such as playing golf, cooking or gardening can be included.
- Emotional and psychological damage such as post-traumatic stress disorder is often part of a lawsuit.
- Harm to a marital relationship is recoverable.
- Wrongful death damages are paid to the members of the family in the household who suffered the loss of a loved one. This includes any member such as a stepchild who received at least half of their support from the decedent.
Knowing who to call when you need legal advice is difficult for many people. After all, you Google a list of lawyers in your area or open a phone book, and there are many to choose from. However, it can be an easier decision if you know something about a lawyer before you call. I was originally from Brooklyn, New York, and that’s where I grew up. In Brooklyn, people are direct with others and fight for what they believe in. This is something that I bring to my law practice.
I relocated to California after serving in the Air Force in an airborne unit from 1969-1970. Afterward, I moved to Sacramento and attended UC Davis. After graduating summa cum laude, I obtained my law degree from McGeorge School of Law.
I appeared on a cable television show called Ask the Lawyer for about 10 years. I enjoyed having this opportunity to answer personal injury questions from the public. I also have two books that are free to download on Amazon for Kindle: The Ultimate California Auto Accident Handbook and the California Motorcycle Accident Handbook.
Watch my short video below for more on how to choose the right personal injury lawyer for your case.Rio Dell Frequently Asked Questions
My clients often ask the following questions after they’ve been in an accident.
Q: My vehicle was damaged in the accident. Are there any good mechanics near Rio Dell?
A: Some of the highest rated mechanics in the area include;
124 Main St
Fortuna, CA 95540
Phone number: (707) 725-3255
610 L St
Fortuna, CA 95540
Phone number: (707) 725-6321
Q: Are there any car rental agencies that are highly rated near Rio Dell?
A: Some good places to rent a car in the area include:
110 5th St
Eureka, CA 95501
Phone number: (707) 443-3366
350 I St
Arcata, CA 95521
Phone number: (707) 826-9090Rio Dell Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Rio Dell car accident and personal injury lawyer. If you were injured or lost a family member in an accident due to negligence, I have free and friendly advice to offer you. Please give me a call at (707) 564-1900 from the Rio Dell area. If you are phoning from outside the area code, I can be reached toll-free at (800) 404-540 or through my online contact form.
I am a member of a number of groups that I am proud to belong to. This includes the American Trial Lawyers Association, the Sacramento County Bar Association and the State Bar of California. I am especially honored to be a member of the following:
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum: Membership in this advocates group is awarded to trial lawyers whose client who won more than one million dollars in a settlement or verdict.
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel: Fewer than 1 percent of lawyers are invited to join this group. They are those who demonstrate the highest excellence in their law practice.
To find out more about a law practice, it’s a good idea to look over reviews and comments left by their clients and peers. Seeing what cases the firm has handled can give you helpful information too. You can see mine at the following links:
Photo by: Wikipedia public domain
:cd cha [cs 1248]