Richmond Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Richmond is a mecca for pedestrians who love nature. Monarch butterfly migration is a spectacular site for walkers of any age. The city has forged ahead to make it a safe place for many species that need a home or are just visiting, and pedestrians are reaping the rewards.
However, with all this beauty within reach, accidents still happen. As a pedestrian, you are open to many types of trauma and have the right to collect damages for your injury as well as pain and suffering. Let’s review the types of pedestrian accidents, their accompanying damages and how you can collect the compensation you deserve with the assistance of a Richmond Pedestrian injury lawyer.Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Richmond Are Here to Help
Having been involved in an auto accident can be traumatic both physically and emotionally. The lawyers and staff at AutoAccident.com understand that and make every effort to acknowledge your pain. We try to ease some of the burdens you face, so you can focus on healing from your injury with peace of mind. Our injury lawyers maintain consistent communication and let you know how the case is progressing.The Compensation Claim Process After a Pedestrian Accident
When a negligent driver or a government entity is responsible for injuring a pedestrian, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against them. In this lawsuit, a Richmond pedestrian accident attorney helps the plaintiff or injured party obtain compensation for damages caused by the incident. The most common ones are listed below:
- Medical expenses: Today the cost of medical care is astronomical. That is why it is necessary to cover all medical expenses associated with the accident. This includes the ambulance fees, emergency room costs, surgery, hospital room, medications, doctor’s bills, diagnostic tests, CT and X-rays and rehabilitation services. Necessary medical care in the future is also covered. In addition, home health services or modification of the house to accommodate an injury is factored into the settlement.
- Lost wages: If the accident injury made it impossible for the plaintiff to work, it is possible to collect the wages, bonuses, pension and other benefits the individual would have earned. In the case of individuals who cannot work their previous jobs and must accept lower-paying ones, the difference is accounted for in the settlement. The salary and other benefits until retirement age are included if the plaintiff is permanently disabled and cannot work.
- Injury compensation can be sought not only for physical trauma but also for psychological damage. It is not uncommon for an injured person to experience insomnia, anxiety, nightmares or even flashbacks associated with post-traumatic stress disorder. Professional help is frequently needed to deal with emotional distress.
- It's possible to claim damages for the loss of consortium, affection and support in the marriage relationship.
In 2019, the National Safety Council reported that 8,000 pedestrians died due to accident injuries, and many more were injured. It is vital to understand the causes of pedestrian trauma, so walkers and drivers alike can use the information to avoid an accident. The following factors can lead to pedestrian injuries:
- Intoxication: Driving under the influence impairs the driver's ability to react quickly and reliably when a situation arises. It affects the driver’s cognitive skills as well as their reflexes.
- Speeding: This is a major reason for pedestrian accidents. Because of the momentum of a speeding vehicle, it takes longer for the driver to stop. If a pedestrian appears in a crosswalk, it stands to reason the driver of a speeding vehicle may be unable to stop. In addition, the operator may lose control.
- Distracted drivers: Distracted driving has become a leading cause of pedestrian accidents. Instead of looking ahead, the driver’s attention is focused on reading or writing a text message, engaging in discussions with passengers or looking for something in the vehicle. By the time they look up, it is too late to avoid a pedestrian injury.
- Fatigued driving: A fatigued driver is capable of nodding off while operating a motor vehicle. Even if it occurs over a few seconds, the chance of hitting a pedestrian is high. A Richmond pedestrian accident lawyer is able to help the walker or their family to obtain damages in a personal injury claim.
- Backing up: Drivers often back up to leave their driveway or parking slot. Sometimes, the driver takes the tack that the pedestrian should be responsible for moving out of the way. This erroneous thought causes many pedestrian accidents. It is especially dangerous for children.
- Running a traffic or stop sign: More than once we have all seen a driver run a stop sign or red light. This happens for a number of reasons, all of them bad. A pedestrian frequently trusts the driver to obey the rules and starts to walk. The driver is at-fault in this situation since the walker has the right to trust that they will stop.
- Tailgating: Tailgaters may be unable to stop in time to avoid crashing into the vehicle in front of them. Pedestrians may be injured when the lead vehicle is pushed into the crosswalk.
- Government negligence: Pedestrian accidents can result when a government agency fails in its duty to maintain broken traffic signals, poorly-lit crosswalks and areas with overgrown trees and shrubbery. A pedestrian injury accident may be the government's responsibility in these instances. It is important to remember that when filing a claim against a government agency, the claimant has a much shorter time to file. A pedestrian accident attorney in Richmond can help ensure all documents are properly filed in a timely manner.
A personal injury claim cannot be filed without proof that another driver caused your accident. That is why our firm sends out investigators to the scene of the accident as soon as possible. Once they arrive:
- They examine the collision site for evidence that proves liability.
- The investigators talk to witnesses at the scene to obtain information about the crash. They may even talk to people who live in the area since most pedestrian accidents happen close to home.
- They review the police report since mistakes can result in an unsuccessful claim. The reason for this is that the police report is consistently used during negotiations and in court. If mistakes are caught early, it is possible to have the error removed or have time to mount a rebuttal.
- The investigators use accident reconstruction techniques to determine liability.
- Surveillance camera data is obtained. This can be from traffic lights or nearby homes and businesses.
- Vehicles are searched for defects. We urge clients to keep the vehicle from being destroyed or impounded. That way our mechanics or investigators can examine it for defects or check vital records of prior accidents.
Our injury lawyers use the information to build a strong case for our client.
Please take a moment to watch the following video by attorney Ed Smith outlining how to choose a personal injury lawyer:Richmond Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
If you or a family member has been injured in an accident, call our Richmond pedestrian accident lawyers at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400 to receive free and friendly advice. We will help you schedule a free case review where we can answer your questions and discuss the options you have moving forward. We can also be reached online if that is more convenient for you.
AutoAccident.com has helped numerous clients and you are welcome to read some of their reviews of our firm at Avvo, Google and Yelp. You will be able to see how we resolved previous cases by looking at Settlements and Verdicts