Richmond Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Richmond is home to many motorcycle enthusiasts, and riding a motorcycle along I-80 is exhilarating. However, a motorcycle accident can result in catastrophic injuries for riders and passengers. Being involved in a motorcycle accident can devastate your health and finances.
If you have suffered severe injuries in a motorcycle crash in Richmond or elsewhere in Contra Costa County, call our experienced injury attorneys at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation.Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcyclists are 29 times more likely to suffer a fatal injury than vehicle passengers in an accident. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), out of the 84,000 people in the U.S. who were injured in motorcycle accidents in 2019, more than 5,000 died. Understanding motorcycle crash statistics is a great way to address the increasing number of accidents yearly. Statistics show that:
- Head injuries are the most common wounds suffered in a motorcycle collision.
- Riders ages 25 to 34 are more likely to be in a crash.
- Nearly 60 percent of those killed in motorcycle collisions wore helmets.
- About 25 percent of motorcyclists in deadly crashes had no legal motorcycle license.
- About a quarter of deadly motorcycle accidents involved alcohol.
Although riding a motorcycle is risky, applying safe riding practices and knowing the causes of motorcycle accidents can help reduce injuries and deaths. Some common causes of motorcycle crashes include:
- Negligence: Driver negligence is the leading cause of motorcycle accidents. Negligence includes driving under the influence, driving distracted, driving while fatigued, speeding, or making unsafe lane changes.
- Roadway Hazards: Hazards in the roadway are a big problem for motorcyclists. Crumbly pavement, potholes, and debris such as leaves, sticks, and dirt can cause damage to the bike and lead to an accident. If the streets are not adequately maintained, a government entity might be liable for any injuries suffered in a crash.
- Defects: Defective parts installed on a motorcycle can cause accidents. If a motorcycle defect leads to an accident, the manufacturer or retailer can be held liable in court.
- Dooring: Some motorcycle accidents can happen when a driver opens their car door in the path of an oncoming motorcyclist.
Watch the YouTube video below to learn more about some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.Motorcycle Accident Injuries
Injuries from a motorcycle accident frequently occur in the lower extremities. However, the head and chest are also often damaged. Some of the most common injuries caused by motorcycle accidents include:
- Broken bones
- Loss of limbs
- Road rash
- Organ damage
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Neck injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Because some injuries may take a few days or weeks to develop following a motorcycle crash, it is essential to seek medical care as soon as possible.Recovering Damages Through a Personal Injury Claim
If you decide to file an injury claim following your motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for these types of losses:
According to Code of Civil Procedure §335.1, you have only two years from the date of the injury to pursue a claim. If you file beyond the second year, your case can be thrown out in court. If your case involves a government agency, the deadline is only six months from the accident date. Pursuing legal action against the at-fault party as soon as possible is in your best interest. For more information on the Statute of Limitations, it is essential to contact an experienced attorney.Do I Really Need an Attorney?
Many riders involved in motorcycle accidents ask if they really need an attorney to file an injury claim. Some believe they can handle the legal process on their own, while others don't think their injuries are as severe. However, consulting with an experienced Richmond personal injury lawyer will only benefit you. Most injury lawyers offer free consultations, so you have nothing to lose.Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Richmond, CA
With so many vehicles on California's roads, motorcycle riding can be risky and dangerous. An informed decision about legal representation following a motorcycle accident in Richmond is an essential first step to recovery. Call our Richmond motorcycle accident attorneys at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400 to discuss your case if you have been hurt in a motorcycle accident. We offer free, friendly advice.
Since 1982, our injury lawyers have proudly served the Richmond communities, representing those hurt or lost family members in motorcycle accidents.