Redding Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Redding is a fantastic place to live and visit if you enjoy walking outdoors. One reason is the excellent weather. In fact, Redding is one of the sunniest cities in the entire United States. It is situated along the Sacramento River, which, at nearly 450 miles, is the longest river flowing entirely within the Golden State borders.
The city enjoys mountain views and is overflowing with natural beauty. Anyone who loves being outside will find plenty of recreational opportunities in Redding, including endless hiking trails. Below are some of Redding's most interesting pedestrian-friendly landmarks:
- Sundial Bridge. This famous public art installation is also a pedestrian bridge that spans the Sacramento River, connecting the south and north campuses of Turtle Bay Exploration Park. It is also one of the largest working sundials in the world.
- Turtle Bay Exploration Park. This wonderful area includes walking paths, a museum, a forest camp, gardens at McConnell Arboretum, wildlife, and a restaurant and lodging.
- Sacramento River Trail. At over 12 miles long, this asphalt/concrete trail spans from Dam Road and Hilltop Drive to the Sacramento River Rail Trail at Keswick Dam Road. It offers stunning views of the Sacramento River and the mountains.
Redding residents know to look in both directions before crossing a street. Many also use designated crosswalks because they have been proven to be safer. However, negligent motorists are still responsible for numerous pedestrian accidents yearly, resulting in severe injuries and fatalities.
When you or a loved one has been injured, retaining an experienced Redding pedestrian accident lawyer is the best way to obtain the compensation needed for medical bills, lost wages, and the monetary value of the pain and suffering. Call our legal team at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for a free consultation.Pedestrian Accident Death Statistics
According to the American Automobile Association, the speed of a motor vehicle directly bears injuries and the rate of pedestrian fatalities when struck. While a pedestrian has a 10-percent risk of severe injuries if a car travels at 16 mph, 90 percent will suffer trauma if the speed is 46 mph.
The risk of fatalities is even more frightening. The risk of becoming a fatality is 10 percent if the vehicle travels at 24 mph. If the car or truck is moving at 58 mph, the risk of death to the pedestrian shoots up to 90 percent. Whether you have been injured or lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, having an aggressive and experienced advocate can protect your legal rights to compensation.Types of Accidents That Involve Pedestrians
An accident with a pedestrian can occur anywhere they are walking near motor vehicles. Some of the more common types of accidents include:
- Crosswalks: Pedestrians crossing the street legally at a crosswalk have the right of way. The motorist who hit them is generally at fault if they are struck while crossing. Impatient drivers or those who are speeding can cause an accident by failing to yield to the walker.
- Traffic law offenders: Drivers who speed, run a stop sign or red light, and make illegal turns are more apt to cause a pedestrian accident. Intersections are a major location for accident injuries and fatalities of people walking.
- Commercial parking lots: Shopping centers, hotels, and other areas where parking lots are a significant source of pedestrian accidents. Most are caused by the crowding of vehicles and people and often occur near the entrances and exits of the stores or when a motorist is backing out without looking.
- Accidents backing up: Parking lots and driveways are where backup accidents often occur. Most involve a vehicle traveling at low speed, so injuries are less severe unless the pedestrian is knocked down and physically run over.
- Sidewalks: Although sidewalks are dedicated to keeping pedestrians safe so they don't have to walk in the roadway, accidents still happen. If a driver is distracted, inebriated, or in a collision with another vehicle, it can jump the curb and strike a pedestrian or those waiting at a bus stop.
- Residential areas: People who have lived in a neighborhood for a while become accustomed to driving in and out without thinking about it. However, neighborhood children, as well as adults, could be crossing the street and being struck.
Watch the video below for pedestrian safety tips and rules of the road.Personal Injury Damages Following a Pedestrian Accident
High medical costs are typical following a pedestrian accident involving a motor vehicle or truck. A skilled accident attorney can help you hold the at-fault driver accountable and work hard to help you recover compensation.Investigating a Pedestrian Accident
Investigating the cause of a Redding pedestrian accident is vital to prove that an at-fault driver or other entity was the cause. Proof entitles the injured person to place a claim for financial damages with the help of a pedestrian accident lawyer in Redding. It must be shown that the at-fault party had a duty of care toward the injured person to act the way other motorists would. Then it must be proven that the at-fault party did not act this way and an injury occurred. Finally, it must be shown that the injured party suffered a financial loss. Some of how an investigation is conducted are as follows:
- Our investigators go to the accident scene immediately before the evidence has been covered or disappeared as traffic starts moving again following cleanup.
- Traffic surveillance and business cameras in the area are sought, which might carry video footage of the accident.
- Accident reconstruction is performed. It is a scientific process that determines the mechanics and circumstances of an accident and the factors that might have contributed to it. Reconstruction of the accident also involves vehicle inspection, yielding valuable evidence.
- Information points to driver errors such as speeding, texting, drunk driving, and other contributing factors.
- Investigators searched the immediate area to see if poor road design or maintenance caused the accident. This can include looking for potholes, overhanging limbs that obscure vision, malfunctioning traffic or crossing lights, etc. When it is found that improper maintenance causes an accident, the government entity in charge may be liable for damages. However, because the statute of limitations is much shorter than other personal injuries, it is essential to have a lawyer experienced in breaking through government immunity to obtain the compensation you deserve and ensure papers are filed on time. Otherwise, the case will not be heard in court.
After all, the evidence has been gathered, our injury lawyers take over, using it to build a case that benefits the client. While negotiations with the insurance company on the client's behalf are successful in some cases, in others, they may balk at paying what the injured party requires to cover all of their losses. The evidence at this point can be used to build a case to present in civil court.Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Redding, CA
Handling recovery following an injury accident is enough of a struggle without worrying about mounting bills. If negligence caused your injury, we might be able to help and have free and friendly advice to offer. Call our experienced Redding pedestrian accident lawyer at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. See our Settlements and Verdicts.
Editor's Note: updated [cha 8.22.23] Image by Manfred Richter from Pixabay cd llo [cs 1234]