Redding Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Redding residents would probably all agree that their parents warned them to look in both directions before crossing a street and probably still do. Many also use designated crosswalks because they have been proven to be safer. However, negligent motorists are still responsible for numerous pedestrian accidents each year that result in severe injuries and fatalities.The City of Redding
Redding is a fantastic place to live and to visit if you enjoy walking outdoors. One reason is the great weather. In fact, Redding is one of the sunniest cities in the entire United States. It is situated along the Sacramento River, which, at nearly 450 miles, is the longest river that flows entirely within the borders of the Golden State.
The city enjoys mountain views and is overflowing with natural beauty. Anyone who loves being outside will find plenty of recreational opportunities in Redding, including seemingly endless miles of hiking trails. Below are some of Redding’s most interesting pedestrian-friendly landmarks:
- Sundial Bridge. This famous public art installation is also a pedestrian bridge that spans the Sacramento River, connecting the south and north campuses of Turtle Bay Exploration Park. It is also one of the largest working sundials in the world.
- Turtle Bay Exploration Park. This wonderful area resource includes walking paths, a museum, a forest camp, gardens at McConnell Arboretum, wildlife, and a restaurant and lodging.
- Sacramento River Trail. At over 12 miles long, this asphalt/concrete trail spans from Dam Road and Hilltop Drive to the Sacramento River Rail Trail at Keswick Dam Road. It offers stunning views of the Sacramento River and the mountains.
When you or a loved one has been injured, an experienced Redding pedestrian accident lawyer is the best way to obtain the compensation needed to pay for medical bills and lost wages as well as the monetary value of the pain and suffering. No, it doesn’t help with the pain and anguish the accident caused, but it does help cover the financial loss.Pedestrian Accident Statistics
According to the American Automobile Association, the speed of a motor vehicle has a direct bearing on injuries, and the rate of fatalities of pedestrians when they are struck. While a pedestrian has a 10-percent risk of severe injuries if a vehicle is traveling at 16 mph, 90 percent will suffer trauma if the speed is 46 mph.
The risk of fatalities is even more frightening. The risk of becoming a fatality is 10 percent if the vehicle is traveling at 24 mph. If the car or truck is moving at 58 mph, the risk of death to the pedestrian shoots up to 90 percent. Whether you have been injured or lost a loved one in a pedestrian accident, having an aggressive and experienced advocate on your side can protect your legal rights to compensation.Types of Accidents That Involve Pedestrians
An accident to a pedestrian can occur anywhere they are walking near motor vehicles. Some of the more common types of accidents include:
- Crosswalks: Pedestrians crossing the street legally at a crosswalk have the right of way. If they are struck while crossing, the motorist who hit them is generally at fault. Impatient drivers or those who are speeding can cause an accident by failing to yield to the walker.
- Traffic law offenders: Drivers who speed, run a stop sign or red light, and make illegal turns are more apt to cause a pedestrian accident. Intersections are a major location for accident injuries and fatalities of people who are walking.
- Commercial parking lots: Shopping centers, hotels, and other areas where parking lots are located are a significant source of pedestrian accidents. Most are caused by crowding of vehicles and people and often occur near the entrances and exits of the stores or when a motorist is backing out without looking.
- Accidents backing up: Parking lots and driveways are where back up accidents often occur. Most of them involve a vehicle traveling at low speed, so unless the pedestrian is knocked down and physically run over, injuries tend to be less severe.
- Sidewalks: Although sidewalks are dedicated to keeping pedestrians safe, so they don’t have to walk in the roadway, accidents still happen. If a driver is distracted, inebriated, or in a collision with another vehicle, it can jump the curb and strike a pedestrian or those who are waiting at a bus stop.
- Residential areas: People who have lived in a neighborhood for a while become accustomed to driving in and out without thinking about it. However, neighborhood children, as well as adults, may be crossing the street and be struck.
Watch the video below for pedestrian safety tips and rules of the road.Personal Injury Damages Following a Pedestrian Accident
High medical costs are typical following a pedestrian accident involving a motor vehicle or truck. A seasoned Redding pedestrian accident lawyer can help you hold the at-fault driver accountable and work hard to help you recover compensation.Conducting an Investigation
The investigation into the cause of a Redding pedestrian accident is vital to prove that an at-fault driver or other entity was the cause. Proof entitles the injured person to place a claim for financial damages with the help of a pedestrian accident lawyer in Redding. It must be shown that the at-fault party had a duty of care toward the injured person to act in the way other motorists would. Then it must be proven that the at-fault party did not act in this way, and an injury occurred. Finally, it must be shown that the injured party suffered a financial loss. Some of the ways in which an investigation is conducted are as follows:
- Our investigators go to the accident scene right away before the evidence has been covered up or has disappeared as traffic starts moving again following cleanup.
- Traffic surveillance and business cameras in the area are sought, which might carry video footage of the accident when it happened.
- Accident reconstruction is performed. It is a scientific process that determines the mechanics and circumstances of an accident as well as factors that might have contributed to it. Reconstruction of the accident also involves inspection of the vehicle, which can yield valuable evidence.
- Information is sought that might point to driver error such as speeding, texting, or drunk driving, and other contributing factors.
- Investigators conduct a search of the immediate area to see if poor road design or maintenance caused the accident. This can be looking for potholes, overhanging limbs that obscure vision, malfunctioning traffic or crossing lights, and others. When it is found that improper maintenance causes an accident, the government entity in charge may be liable for damages. However, because the statute of limitations is much shorter than for other personal injuries, it is essential to have a lawyer experienced in breaking through government immunity to obtain the compensation you deserve and ensure papers are filed on time. Otherwise, the case will not be heard in court.
After all, the evidence has been gathered, our lawyers take over, using it to build a case that benefits the client. While in some cases, negotiations with the insurance company on the client’s behalf are successful, in others, they may balk at paying what the injured party requires to cover all of their losses. The evidence at this point can be used to build a case to present in civil court.Redding Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Redding pedestrian accident lawyer. Handling recovery following an injury accident is enough of a struggle without worrying about mounting bills. If negligence caused your injury, I may be able to help and have free and friendly advice to offer. Call me at (530) 392-9400 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Having information about a law firm is important when seeking advice or representation. This is why I include the links below:
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 3.11.21]
Image by Manfred Richter from Pixabay
:cd llo [cs 1,137]