Redding Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Redding, California, is a utopia for motorcyclists. Situated off Interstate 5 in Shasta County, Redding enjoys an enviably mild Northern California climate that allows for comfortable riding throughout the year, along with countless routes incorporating beautiful views and exciting terrain.
Although all Redding has to offer the motorcycle enthusiast, the city is not immune to traffic collisions on its roadways. Negligent motorists cause accidents throughout the region every day, and the rider can be severely injured when the crash involves a motorcyclist.
Since 1982, the Redding motorcycle accident lawyers at AutoAccident.com have assisted injured Northern Californians by protecting their legal rights and maximizing their financial recoveries. Call our accident attorneys at (530) 392-9400 to schedule a no-obligation consultation if you or someone you love has suffered injuries caused by a careless or reckless motorist.Big Bike Weekend in Redding
Since 2000, Hilltop Drive in Redding has been the setting for the Big Bike Weekend. This October event aims to promote safe and fun entertainment for riders of all types of motorcycles, along with their families and friends.
The Big Bike Weekend also seeks to educate the public on motorcycle safety and highlight rides that showcase Redding's natural beauty. The community event includes vendors, food, exhibitions, and music.
Below is a clip of the memorial ride from Redding's Big Bike Week in 2017.Main Causes of Motorcycle Crashes
As much as we hate to think about motorcycle collisions, it is beneficial to be aware of some of the most common causes of bike accidents. Knowledge can lead to prevention in some instances. In most cases, the collision occurs because the motorcyclist and/or the other vehicle driver acted negligently or carelessly. Paying closer attention and care on the roads can help prevent tragic incidents.
Here are some everyday situations in motorcycle crash cases:
- Distracted driving. The motorist may have been texting, eating, sightseeing, or not giving their full attention to the road.
- Impaired driving. This could include driver impairment caused by over-the-counter medication, prescription, illicit drugs, and/or alcohol.
- Failure to obey traffic laws.
- Failure to keep a proper lookout for motorcycles. Remember that although lane splitting is legal in California, it is still risky.
- Failure to signal when changing lanes.
- Driving too fast for conditions.
- Sudden stops.
A motorcyclist does not have the protection that surrounds the occupants of a passenger vehicle, putting the rider at a distinct disadvantage regarding the severity of injuries. The most common types of injuries sustained in a motorcycle crash include:
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord trauma and paralysis
- Soft tissue neck and back injuries
- Deep abrasions, aka road rash
- Concussion, post-concussion syndrome, and other traumatic brain injuries
- Limb amputation
- Injuries or fractures to the pelvic region
Every motorcycle collision is different. While escaping a motorcycle accident with minor injuries is possible, that is usually only possible when the crash occurs at low speeds. Every mile per hour faster the rider or other vehicle travels increases the risk of severe injuries to the rider exponentially. Along with speed, other factors are involved in the severity of a motorcycle injury, including:
- Whether the cyclist was thrown from the bike.
- If thrown, whether the cyclist collided with any other objects.
- The extent and quality of the protective equipment and clothing the cyclist wears.
Modern motorcycles are equipped with several new vehicle safety technologies. In the next decade or so, all or most vehicles on the road may be able to communicate with each other. This has the potential to drastically reduce the number of collisions. We are not there yet.
Cyclists can increase their chances of walking away from a collision by wearing proper protective clothing. A DOT-approved helmet is a must, but other purchases to consider, such as full-body leather, protect against road rash.
A portable camera attached to the motorcycle could also provide valuable footage to help determine fault for the accident, which will be a crucial element of any resulting legal case.Types of Damages in a Motorcycle Crash Case
If it is determined that the other motorist caused the accident and thus your injuries, you are entitled to seek monetary compensation for your losses. It is mind-boggling how quickly expenses associated with severe injuries can add up. These types of damages are common in most personal injury cases:
- Medical Expenses - bills already incurred and projected future costs for treatment recommended by a physician.
- Lost Income - time lost for work, which could include a loss of earning capacity if the injuries prevent you from returning to your regular employment or working.
- Noneconomic Damages - also known as general damages - are compensation for your physical and emotional suffering due to the injuries you suffered in the accident.
- Loss of Consortium - if applicable, your spouse may be entitled to compensation due to your injuries negative effect on the marital relationship.
It is unfortunate that many motorcycle collisions result in the rider's death. The heirs to the deceased may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit against the negligent motorist who caused the fatal accident. Wrongful death claims may provide compensation for both economic and non-economic damages.Contact a Redding Motorcycle Accident Lawyer Today
Your physical recovery and return to good health are the most critical elements following a severe motorcycle crash. The opposing insurance company will likely want to settle your claim for pennies as soon as possible, even before the extent of your injuries and their prognosis is known. This would be a terrible mistake.
Instead of navigating the low-balling tactics of insurance adjusters on your own, let a skilled legal professional advocate on your behalf. Call our injury lawyers at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for compassionate, free, and friendly advice.
Experience matters when choosing a Redding motorcycle accident attorney to handle your case. So does client trust. Please visit our Verdicts and Settlements page to learn how we have helped our clients obtain full compensation for their injury cases since 1982.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 9.8.22]
mm ds [cs 1059] cha