Rancho Cordova Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Rancho Cordova's seasonal weather is perfect for motorcycle riding. While motorcyclists typically are skilled in operating their bikes, other drivers contribute to accidents through negligence, and in some cases, reckless behavior. The motorist who hits a motorcycle often claims they did not see the bike, which is a big problem.Motorcycle Accident Statistics
More than 400 people are killed in motorcycle accidents in California every year, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). These deaths occur even though California requires bikers to wear helmets at all times while riding a motorcycle. Far more bikers are severely injured each year. At the Law Offices of Edward Smith, our experienced Rancho Cordova Motorcycle Accident Lawyers know how devastating these accidents can be for the person who was injured and their loved ones.Common Injuries in a Motorcycle Accident
Those who have suffered injuries in a motorcycle accident can spend years recovering. Some common injuries in a motorcycle accident include:
- Extensive cuts and abrasions
- Fractured or broken bones
- Severe internal organ damage
- Spinal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
There are many causes of motorcycle accidents, including operator error and biking under the influence of drugs or alcohol. However, other causes could include:
- Driver negligence – These accidents often involve a driver pulling into the path of a motorcyclist, turning in front of them, merging into the bike’s lane, failing to observe the bike completely, or did not correctly assess the distance between them and the motorcyclist. These accidents often happen at high rates of speed. The protective clothing that a biker may wear usually is not sufficient to prevent serious cuts and abrasions, referred to as road rash, along with a myriad of other potential injuries.
- Driver recklessness – In these cases, a driver decides to act in a manner that may endanger the safety of another with reckless disregard for the outcome. Aggressive driving often falls within this category.
- Road hazards - Road defects take many forms, including poorly maintained roadways, improperly set-up construction sites, and even wash-out from people’s driveways. Potholes, protruding obstacles, or debris can lead to a serious motorcycle accident where the biker lays down their bike or is thrown from the bike.
- Mechanical problems – It is possible that the bike was not fixed properly by a mechanic, or there could be inherent problems with the design or manufacture of the bike.
If the injury was caused by another person's negligence, it is important to bring a claim as quickly as possible due to California's statue of limitations law. The time limit is two years from the accident date. Once the time runs out, there is nothing that can be done. In addition, evidence may deteriorate or disappear and witness recollection may fade. To maximize the chances of recovery, it is crucial to get the right attorney working on your behalf as soon as possible.
The following video discusses some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents.Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Rancho Cordova, CA
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury in a motorcycle accident caused by the negligence of another, call our experienced Rancho Cordova motorcycle accident attorneys now at 916.921.6400 or 800.404.5400 for free, friendly advice.
The injury lawyers at the Edward A Smith Law Offices are ready to work for you immediately.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 7.26.21]
Photo by Pixabay