Rancho Cordova Brain Injury Lawyer
Being injured through another person's negligence can be a traumatic and life-altering experience. Often, the injured person has to deal with extensive medical treatment and physical therapy, while simultaneously grappling with the burden of paying bills. Unfortunately, a brain injury is one of the most severe types of injuries an individual can sustain. These injuries may result from penetrating head trauma or closed head injuries and can often have long-term negative consequences.
Our Rancho Cordova Brain Injury Lawyers at AutoAccident.com understand the severity of this harm and the complexities involved in bringing a personal injury case to obtain a damages recovery that will enable a person to move forward with their life. If you or a loved one has suffered severe head trauma in an accident due to negligence, we are here to help. Call our legal team at (916) 921-6400 for free, friendly advice.What are the Different Types of Brain Injuries?
Brain injuries may result from many different types of trauma, including an impact, such as one from a cart accident. Other types of brain injuries are caused by a penetrating impact; a bullet wound is an example of this type of injury. In many cases of closed head injuries, the person may not realize that the problem is developing in their brain until severe and long-term damage has occurred. Although people recover from these types of injuries, others face a lifetime of struggles.
When a person has suffered from a serious brain injury, numerous physical and mental problems might create immense challenges, including loss of motor control, severe headaches, hearing and vision impairment, memory loss, mood swings, depression, sleep disorders, and cognitive impairment.How a Traumatic Brain Injury Attorney Can Help
When pursuing a brain injury case, a Rancho Cordova Brain Injury Lawyer first will establish how the injury occurred and who might be liable for the harm suffered. This is a critical part of the analysis. There are times when the injury was not deemed to result from negligence, recklessness, or intentional acts, and it will not be possible to recover from a third party. However, once it is clear that someone did something wrong, it is essential to act quickly.Types of Damages to Pursue
There is a limited period to file a claim for a brain injury. In California, there is a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases, but a lot must be done before a lawsuit can be filed. In deciding to file a claim, there are specific types of damages that can be sought, including:
- Medical expenses (special damages) – A person who has suffered from a brain injury may face years of ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation, and therapy. It is essential to calculate the costs that reasonably would accumulate throughout the person's life to ensure sufficient funds;
- Lost wages (special damages) – This looks at the money lost due to the injury and the natural progression of a person's career. It is crucial to look at all the earnings and benefits that no longer will be possible as a result of the injury;
- Pain and suffering (general damages) – This category of damages compensates a person suffering from a brain injury for the physical pain and emotional suffering that resulted from the injury. Basically, it is a way of compensating a person for the dramatic change in their life that resulted from the injury;
- Loss of consortium (general damages) – When the person who suffered the brain injury was married, the spouse may have a claim for the loss of the family relationship that was caused by the injury; and
- Punitive damages are only awarded when the defendant's actions are deemed to be egregious, resulting from acts involving malice, oppression, or fraud. They are relatively rare.
When a person has suffered a severe brain injury, it is crucial to get legal help as soon as possible.Rancho Cordova Brain Injury FAQ
What is recoverable in a brain injury claim?
You may be able to recover damages such as medical bills, lost wages, emotional distress, pain and suffering, and possibly punitive damages if the injury is proven egregious. Determining the value of your brain injury case will depend on multiple factors. Working with an experienced brain injury attorney is best if you or a family has suffered severe head trauma. Accepting a settlement for your injury claim before reaching a point of maximum improvement could leave you without the necessary funds for long-term medical care.
How long does it take to recover from a concussion?
Most symptoms of a concussion disappear within 7 to 10 days. Symptoms are not always apparent after the accident and can appear hours or even days later. Most people recover from a concussion within a month, but other factors can slow it down or speed it up. The recovery period is different for each person, and creating the best possible environment to heal is essential.
Call Our Brain Injury Attorneys in Rancho Cordova, California
Suffering from a traumatic brain injury (TBI) can be life-altering, leaving an individual with long-term physical, emotional, and financial consequences. If an accident caused by someone else's negligence has resulted in you or a loved one sustaining a traumatic brain injury (TBI), it is imperative to seek the aid of an experienced and empathetic legal team.
Our experienced traumatic brain injury attorneys in Rancho Cordova are dedicated to helping clients pursue the compensation they deserve for their damages and losses. If you or a loved one has suffered a TBI in an accident, contact our skilled and compassionate traumatic brain injury attorneys in Rancho Cordova today at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
See our past cases on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Editor's Note: updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 5.9.23] Photo by Pixabay [cs 978]