Rancho Cordova Brain Injury Lawyer
A Rancho Cordova Brain Injury Lawyer at the Edward A Smith Law Offices understands the severity of this type of harm and the complexities of bringing a personal injury case in order to obtain a damages recovery that will enable a person to move forward with his or her life.Types of Brain Trauma
Brain injuries may result from many different types of trauma, including an impact, such as one from a cart accident. Other types of brain injuries are caused by a penetrating impact. A bullet wound is an example of this type of injury. In many cases of closed head injuries, the person may not realize that the problem is developing in their brain until severe and long-term damage has occurred. Although there are people who do recover from these types of injuries, others face a lifetime of struggles.
When a person has suffered from a serious brain injury, there are numerous physical and mental problems that might create immense challenges for the person, including loss of motor control, severe headaches, hearing and vision impairment, memory loss, mood swings, depression, sleep disorders, and cognitive impairment.How a Brain Injury Lawyer Can Help
When pursuing a brain injury case, a Rancho Cordova Brain Injury Lawyer first will establish how the injury occurred and who might be liable for the harm that was suffered. This is a critical part of the analysis as there are times when the injury was not deemed to be the result of negligence, recklessness, or intentional acts and it will not be possible to recover from a third-party. However, once it is clear that someone did something wrong, it is important to act quickly.Types of Damages to Pursue
There is a limited period of time in which to file a claim for a brain injury. In California, there is a two-year statute of limitations for personal injury cases, but there is a lot that must be done before a case can be filed. In deciding to file a case, there are specific types of damages that can be sought, including:
- Medical expenses (special damages) – A person who has suffered from a brain injury may face years of ongoing medical treatment, rehabilitation, and therapy. It is important to calculate the costs that reasonably would accumulate over the course of the person’s life in order to ensure sufficient funds;
- Lost wages (special damages) – This looks at the money that actually was lost as a result of the injury, as well as the natural progression of a person’s career. It is crucial to look at all the earnings and benefits that no longer will be possible as a result of the injury;
- Pain and suffering (general damages) – This category of damages compensates a person suffering from a brain injury for the physical pain and emotional suffering that resulted from the injury. Basically, it is a way of compensating a person for the dramatic change in his or her life that resulted from the injury;
- Loss of consortium (general damages) – When the person who suffered the brain injury was married, the spouse may have a claim for the loss of the family relationship that was caused by the injury; and
- Punitive damages – These damages only are awarded when the actions of the defendant are deemed to egregious, resulting from acts involving malice, oppression, or fraud. They are relatively rare.
When a person has suffered a serious brain injury, it is important to get the right legal help as soon as possible.Brain Injury Lawyers in Rancho Cordova
I’m Ed Smith, a Rancho Cordova brain injury attorney. Did you or a loved one suffer a traumatic brain injury after an accident caused by someone else? I have decades of experience and may be able to help. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice.
The Rancho Cordova traumatic brain injury lawyers at the Law Offices of Edward A. Smith are ready to get to work for you and your TBI case immediately.
Photo by Pixabay
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 7.6.20]