Pleasanton Brain Injury Lawyer
Direct blows to the head can cause brain trauma, which bruises and damages tissues and blood vessels. Various degrees of severity can result from head or brain injuries, from mild concussions to severe trauma that leads to comas or death. Many traumatic brain injuries (TBI) result in lengthy hospitalization and extended rehabilitation. A Pleasanton brain injury lawyer could assist you in getting the compensation you deserve if your accident was caused by negligence.Brain Injuries Can Cause Permanent Damage
Unfortunately, many TBI sufferers have cognitive impairment and other deficits that affect them for the rest of their lives. Expenses associated with a severe TBI can be astronomical, so you should contact a brain injury attorney in Pleasanton to help you obtain compensation to cover those substantial costs.Finding Legal Help After Suffering a TBI
When you or a loved one has suffered a TBI caused by another person's or entity's negligence, you may benefit from speaking with a law firm with extensive experience handling brain injuries. Most families cannot financially deal with a long-term TBI due to comprehensive treatment and the exorbitant cost. However, if negligence caused the head trauma, the injured party may recover sufficient compensation to cover their medical expenses and other losses by having a personal injury lawyer handle their case. This can relieve the financial stress, allowing the injured person to deal with their injury with the peace of mind of knowing their case is in good hands.What Are the Most Common Causes of Head and Brain Injuries?
The American Brain Injury Association of America reports that more than 3.5 million TBIs occur annually, up to one every nine seconds. According to MedlinePlus, more men suffer a TBI than women, and their injuries are often more severe. Those 65 or older have a higher risk of hospitalization and death caused by a brain injury. The most common causes of a TBI include:
- A brain injury suffered from a fall is most common in older adults.
- Motor vehicle accidents resulting in TBIs are most common in younger adults.
- Sports injuries account for many brain trauma in football players, boxers, and others.
- Gunshot wounds cause a high number of brain injuries.
- Falling objects can occur anywhere but are common at construction sites.
- Blast injuries can occur from gas explosions or at farm or construction sites.
TBIs are characterized by varying signs and symptoms, depending on their severity and the location of the trauma. Behavioral, cognitive, and physical changes are all included in this category, such as the following:
- Behavioral changes: Changes in behavior may involve mood swings, depression, agitation, restlessness, irritability, and frustration. Other behavioral changes may include an inability to control emotions, aggression, inappropriate responses, and a lack of empathy.
- Physical changes: Physical changes caused by a brain injury may include headaches, weakness, fatigue, dizziness, loss of coordination and balance, and muscle spasticity. They may also include nausea, vomiting, paralysis, alterations in smell, taste, touch, hearing, and sight, as well as problems sleeping, seizures, or coma.
- Cognitive changes: Memory loss, a short attention span, lack of judgment, problem-solving difficulties, and lack of concentration and confusion may occur. Communication and language problems, learning challenges, and understanding new concepts may be encountered.
A brain injury attorney in Pleasanton might be able to assist the individual in filing a personal injury claim for damages if they were hurt by a negligent driver or other entity. A severe TBI may result in the individual no longer being able to function without assistance and may even result in institutionalization if the trauma is severe or the injured party is in a coma. The following types of damages are recoverable:
- Medical costs: When there has been a severe brain injury, recovering medical expenses plays a vital role. It is common for patients with TBIs to suffer from complications such as seizures, infections, and fluid buildup in the brain. These complications can result in increased hospitalizations and expensive treatments. You are entitled to recover any medical expenses resulting from the accident injury. You may recover ambulance fees, hospitalization, doctor's and specialist's fees, medications, testing, and other medical costs. A patient who can return home can recover damages and adjust his or her house for rehabilitation services. Settlements are calculated according to the probability that the injury will continue, which can be factored in.
- Lost wages: The wages and other benefits of the injured patient can be recovered if they were employed and took time off without pay after the injury. Many injured people either take a vacation or sick leave, or both. Those who cannot perform their previous job can claim the difference in pay if they have to take one that pays less. The pay plus benefits can be recovered until retirement if a disability causes the patient to lose their ability to work permanently.
- Pain and Suffering: Compensation for pain, suffering, and mental anguish is often sought by plaintiffs. Treatment costs for post-traumatic stress disorder are also recoverable if the injured party receives professional care.
Listed below are some articles by attorney Ed Smith related to this topic:
Choosing the right lawyer after being injured in an accident can be a challenge, but attorney Ed Smith explains what you need to know:Experienced Brain Injury Lawyers in Pleasanton, CA
A traumatic brain injury can result in prolonged hospitalizations and extremely high medical bills because of its severity. Families can easily be overwhelmed by these expenses, but help is just a phone call away. Contact our Pleasanton brain injury lawyers at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. Please feel free to contact us online as well. Check out the Verdicts and Settlements page to see how our accident attorneys have helped others.
Editor's Note: Updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 3.7.23]
Photo attribution: by MART PRODUCTION
:cd  bw