Placerville Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Placerville, California, is a motorcycle-friendly town. Popular rides in the area include Georgetown, Gold Note, and Elkin's Flat. Placerville enjoys a mild climate, which allows for more riding days per year than average. There are several restaurants and bars throughout the town and just on the outskirts that cater to riders. As a hot biker spot in Northern California, Placerville unfortunately also sees its share of motorcycle accidents.
Across the nation, the number of yearly motorcycle accidents continues to rise. In 2015, 14% of all fatalities related to auto accidents involved motorcyclists. According to statistics compiled by the Insurance Information Institute, California is one of the top three states in the nation for motorcyclist fatalities.
Bikers are at an obvious disadvantage when they are hit by a passenger vehicle or, worse, a large truck. Devastating accidents can happen suddenly without enough warning to give even the most experienced riders sufficient time to react. If you or a loved one has been injured by a negligent driver while riding, a skilled Placerville motorcycle accident attorney can ensure your legal rights are protected and help you maximize any potential settlement.Motorcycle Accidents - Common Causes
Many of the causes of motorcycle accidents are the same as those of any other traffic collision type. Some common causes include:
- Driver Negligence. If the accident was caused because the other driver broke or ignored traffic laws such as failing to drive at a safe speed, failing to yield the right-of-way, or driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, they should be held responsible for any injuries you suffered.
- Distracted Driving. Vehicle drivers often claim that they could not see a motorcycle in their mirrors - and that this invisibility is even more pronounced in darkness. While motorcycles are smaller, have fewer lights, and therefore may be at a visibility disadvantage unless they are being ridden at night without lights, an attentive driver should see the bike. Sometimes, vehicle drivers are simply inattentive, or worse, texting or otherwise preoccupied while driving.
- Road Hazards. Many parts of the country are notorious for potholes and other dangerous road conditions. California is no exception. Defects in the road can lead to motorcycle accidents. A claim against the government for dangerous road conditions is more challenging than pursuing a claim against a negligent private citizen. The road would need to be analyzed by experts, and several elements would have to be met to prove negligence. There is also a much shorter timeline in which you must file a claim - only six months compared to the usual two-year personal injury statute of limitations in California.
- Manufacturer Defects. In some cases, a defective part of the bike may have caused the accident. Proving this would require a thorough analysis of the motorcycle by a products liability expert. If negligence in the manufacturing process is provable, and the defect was the cause of your injuries, you may have a viable claim against the bike manufacturer.
A motorcycle accident has a higher likelihood of causing catastrophic injuries than other types of traffic incidents. Some common injuries following a bike accident include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Broken bones/fractures
- Neck and back soft tissue injuries
- Deep abrasions (road rash)
- Nerve damage
- Spinal cord injuries
Some of the injuries listed above can result in lengthy hospitalizations, surgeries, and significant follow-up care. Such extensive medical treatment can end up costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. When you add to that the time off work and resulting income loss, it is clear that a motorcycle accident can result in devastating financial consequences.
Stress from worrying about money can hinder your physical recovery. Calls from insurance companies and bill collectors add to the turmoil. Considering all that is at stake, an injured cyclist must talk with a skilled motorcycle attorney. If the facts are on your side and there is a viable case against a negligent party, a good lawyer will be able to maximize your financial recovery.Talk with an Experienced Placerville Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Navigating a personal injury lawsuit involves many intricacies, challenges, and constantly moving parts, including fact investigation, evidence preservation, handling insurance adjusters, determining proper jurisdiction, filing a lawsuit, completing the discovery process, and preparing for arbitration, mediation, and/or trial. Attempting to handle the claim on your own can quickly turn frustrating, followed by overwhelming—especially given that you will also be in the process of recovering from your injuries.
Hiring a skilled Placerville motorcycle accident attorney will take the worries of juggling a legal matter off of your mind, ensure that your interests will be protected, and allow you to spend your energies on healing.
Watch the YouTube video below documenting one of the lovely rides the Placerville area has to offer.Placerville Motorcycle Accident Attorney
Following a serious motorcycle accident, it is recommended that you seek legal guidance. Our experienced motorcycle accident attorneys have been practicing personal injury law since 1982. Call to speak with one of our injury lawyers at (530) 392-9400 or 800.404.5400. We are happy to provide compassionate, free, and friendly advice. We also have an online contact option.
See our past personal injury cases on our verdicts and settlements page.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 3.24.21]
mm [cs 925] cha