Placerville Brain Injury Lawyer
While there are countless injuries that someone could suffer following a traumatic accident, a head or brain injury is perhaps the most serious. Even though there has been a significant amount of research done on traumatic brain injuries (TBI) over the past few decades, injuries involving the neurological system are often permanent.
These injuries could leave individuals and their loved ones with uncertainty surrounding both the accident and their future. Thus, it is imperative for families to understand some of the necessary information regarding a traumatic brain injury.How Does a TBI Happen?
Like other traumatic injuries, a TBI often develops when someone least expects them. Several common ways that someone might suffer a head injury include:
- Motor Vehicle Accidents: Car accidents and motorcycle collisions are the most common reasons for a head injury. Those who are riding a motorcycle need to always wear a helmet to reduce the chances of suffering a TBI.
- Competitive Sports: While concussions usually happen while playing football, TBIs can also occur in other sports such as lacrosse, basketball, and soccer.
- Physical Assault: Both blunt and penetrating blows to the head could cause a TBI.
If someone has been involved in a tragic accident, there are specific symptoms that a TBI could have occurred. The signs of a head injury could vary depending on both the type and severity. Some common signs that someone might have suffered a head injury include:
- A severe headache is often described as a “thunderclap” or the “worst headache of my life.”
- Difficulty falling asleep or remaining asleep at night.
- Changes in hearing and vision.
- Emotional lability and rapid mood swings.
- A problem remembering old memories or forming new ones, known as amnesia.
- Issues with numbness and tingling in some regions of the body.
- A feeling of weakness in the arms or legs.
- Chronic pain.
Some brain injuries can present with all of these signs, while others might have only a few symptoms. Because a TBI can present in many ways, it is essential for everyone to seek medical care following a blow to the head.The Treatment of a Brain Injury
The doctor might decide to run a few tests, such as a CT scan or an MRI, to confirm the diagnosis. Once this is done, the treatment process will start. Some of the components of this treatment will include:
- Possible Surgery: Particularly severe head injuries might require surgery. If there is evidence of swelling or bleeding inside the skull, a trained neurosurgeon might be needed.
- Mental Rest: Like other injured body parts, the brain will need to take a break. Minimal stimulation is often recommended. This means no work, no school, and refraining from bright lights, loud noises, and electronic devices when possible.
- Pain Control: Because many head injuries will lead to severe pain, comfort is a crucial factor. Anti-inflammatory medications such as Tylenol and Motrin are often recommended first. If more medicine is needed, there are narcotic and opioid options available.
Watch the video below for more details on how traumatic brain injuries are treated with new technology and treatments.Recovering After a Head Injury
Once people leave the hospital, the recovery process will progress. The long-term prognosis following a severe head injury will vary. In some situations, individuals might make a full recovery. In other cases, families might be dealing with complications that might last for the rest of their life. Fortunately, there are trained professionals that can help:
- Physical therapists might be able to help an individual regain strength and mobility.
- Occupational therapists can make it easier to run errands, work around the house, or even return to work.
- Speech-language pathologists can help someone learn how to eat and speak after a neurological injury.
It is also helpful for families to seek the assistance of an experienced brain injury lawyer in Placerville. Families should make sure that every detail has been carefully considered before making any decisions.Placerville Brain Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Placerville Brain Injury Lawyer. A brain injury can cause devastating consequences. If you or a loved one has sustained a brain injury in a severe accident, call me for free, friendly, and compassionate legal advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400.
See our past verdicts and settlement cases.
Editor’s Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 3.8.21]
Photo by Pixabay
:dr 0p cha [cs 752]