Pittsburg Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
Pittsburg, California is a central city located in Contra Costa County where the San Joaquin and Sacramento Rivers meet. Pittsburg has evolved into a quaint community of nearly 66,000 residents with growing housing and business centers. The city has also undertaken efforts to restore Pittsburg’s old town historic district, which hosts a growing arts community.
If you ask me where I came from, I will not deny my Brooklyn, New York roots but will also proudly say that I have called California home for the last three and a half decades. I assist clients with serious personal injury matters, including wrongful death claims. After serving in the U.S. Air Force, I graduated from the McGeorge School of Law in 1982 and began my legal practice in California shortly after gaining admission to the California Bar. I am a lover of music, mainly blues, rock, and electronica. I also take full advantage of all the wonderful outdoor activities California has to offer. I can be found hiking when not passionately representing my clients.Why I Handle Pittsburg Cases From My Sacramento Office
As a result of the economic downturn in previous years, many good attorneys were forced to move out of Pittsburg. This left a need for experienced personal injury representation in the city. If you have a solid case and I think we are a good fit for working with one another, I will pay your transportation cost to come see me at my Sacramento office. I can also put you up overnight in a hotel so that you can avoid having to travel to Sacramento and back on the same day.I Take Cases on a Contingency Fee Basis
I take all my cases on a contingency fee basis which means you pay nothing unless I am successful with your case. Please call me today for free, friendly advice at (925) 428-5220 so we can go over the details of your personal injury case.Selecting the Right Pittsburg Personal Injury Attorney
You may have arrived at this page because you’re unsure of how to find the right Pittsburg auto accident attorney or injury lawyer to represent you in a personal injury matter. Most of the time, people perform Google searches if they can’t obtain a reliable referral from a friend or family member. With Internet searches, certain factors should play into the decision you make to hire an attorney, and you should be on the lookout for certain indicators that a lawyer will be able to provide quality and efficient services to you and your family. Here’s a Youtube Video I created to help you find an experienced personal injury attorney.
The Importance of Selecting an Attorney who is AVVO Rated
A Google search in Pittsburg will come up with several options for personal injury attorneys. One of the top results lists an attorney’s website, but that listing fails to provide any indication as to the peer rating for that attorney. Peer ratings may come from particular legal-oriented sites such as AVVO (the attorney rating website). AVVO assigns ratings to attorneys using certain numerical criteria and is a highly-regarded indicator of an attorney’s professionalism and ability. These ratings are critical in the search for an attorney because, without a personal referral or prior experience with a lawyer, you can use AVVO’s information to gauge other people’s experience with the attorney in question. My AVVO profile has garnered an AVVO rating of 10, which is the top possible rating.
Make Sure the Attorney Specializes in Personal Injury Law Exclusively
Another important factor is an attorney’s focus of practice. One of the top results in searches in Pittsburg, CA shows an attorney with a lot of practice areas such as criminal defense, real estate, personal injury, and business litigation. Such a broad variety of practice areas usually indicates that an attorney may not have the kind of in-depth knowledge in a field of law that can adequately represent a client’s interests with enough expertise. This is especially the case in a highly nuanced area of law such as personal injury cases. I have exclusively practiced personal injury law in California for over three decades, and I have dedicated my energies towards developing expertise in this area of law. I do not dabble in multiple areas of law. There is an old saying, “jack-of-all-trades and master of none.” You wouldn’t go see a mechanic to have your hair cut, would you? Be sure to choose an attorney who practices personal injury law exclusively.
Is The Attorney a Million Dollar Advocate Member?
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. This is an association of trial attorneys who have successfully recovered personal injury settlements and verdicts of over a million dollars. I am also a member of the American Trial Lawyers Association, a prestigious nationwide association of attorneys dedicated to trial practice.
Does the Attorney Have Financial Resources Available to Take Your Case To Trial?
If the attorney does not list a Verdicts and Settlements Page on its website, he or she may not have the financial resources to take a case to trial. The attorney may be in the habit of settling all cases out of court. You want an attorney who has the financial resources and trial experience necessary to take a case to trial should the insurance company offer a low settlement amount. It is essential to determine if the lawyer you are about to hire has trial experience and a long history of successful case verdicts.
Make Sure the Attorney Has Satisfied Past and Present Clients
The personal testimonies of past and present clients are important in gauging whether to hire an attorney. Top results for searches for personal injury attorneys in Pittsburg often do not include testimonials from clients, but my clients have left various forms of testimonials that describe how I assisted them in vindicating their rights. These testimonials are available on my website.
Additionally, I have a multitude of positive customer reviews on Yelp, Avvo, and Google.Have You Suffered a Personal Injury in an Accident?
My office handles severe personal injury cases in Pittsburg. These cases may include:
- Large Truck Accidents. According to a collision causation study by the U.S. Department of Transportation, California is one of ten states where fatalities stemming from large truck accidents are concentrated. The study found that large commercial trucks were involved in thirteen percent of accidents and thirteen percent of overall traffic fatalities. DOT reports that there was a total of 3,806 crashes in 2013 across the United States involving large commercial vehicles, which killed 4,251 people. Of those deaths, only 739 fatalities, or seventeen percent, were passengers or drivers of the commercial vehicle involved. The vast majority of the casualties – 3,512 – were individuals in passenger vehicles or motorcycles. The figure also includes 78 bicyclists and 338 pedestrians.
- Severe passenger vehicle collisions. As a Pittsburg car accident lawyer, I will state that head-on collisions and rollover accidents constitute the most serious of the various kinds of car accidents. The Transportation Injury Mapping System managed by the University of California at Berkeley (TIMS) reports that there were 180 collisions in Pittsburg in 2013, of which 10 were head-on collisions, and 10 were rollover accidents. There were three fatalities and 12 severe injuries reported out of these crashes. TIMS also indicates that nearly 40 percent of these crashes involved speeding as a factor. I represent victims of serious crashes who suffer severe, disabling injuries, or wrongful death suits stemming from such accidents.
- Bicycle and Pedestrian Accidents. When vehicle collisions involve either pedestrians or bicyclists, they often result in catastrophic injuries or even fatalities. Last year, the number of pedestrians who died in traffic accidents in the United States increased by around 10 percent, which is the largest annual increase since data on such accidents began to be collected four decades ago. Fatalities started being tracked 40 years ago. Accordingly, pedestrians now make up about 15 percent of all vehicular accident-related deaths, up from 11 percent only ten years ago. DOT reports that California led the nation in 2014 with the number of pedestrian fatalities at 697 deaths. In Pittsburg, CA, there were 13 pedestrian-involved accidents in 2013 according to TIMS, five of which involved drivers who failed to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk.
In 2014, 726 bicyclists died in traffic crashes according to the DOT. California held the top spot in the nation in the number of fatalities, with 338 cyclists killed in collisions with automobiles. TIMS reports that nine crashes involved bicyclists in 2013 in Pittsburg.
- Serious Brain Injuries. Motor vehicle accidents cause more than half of reported traumatic brain injuries in the United States. These types of injuries occur through force that penetrates or fractures a person’s skull, which may happen when a vehicle occupant’s head hits the steering wheel or the windshield of a car in an accident. Even where no penetration occurs, the force of the crash may cause brain bruising or bleeding. These injuries may also happen during slip and fall accidents, or any accident involving blunt force trauma to the head.
- Wrongful Death Claims. A deceased individual’s family member might have a claim for wrongful death in Pittsburg if another person's negligence caused the death. I represent families on behalf of a deceased person to obtain compensation in wrongful death cases, which often involve very tragic circumstances.
I’m Ed Smith, a Pittsburg Personal Injury Lawyer. If you or a member of your family has been severely injured in an auto accident, trucking accident or motorcycle accident, please call me today at (925) 428-5220 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
Meet my competent and friendly legal staff.
I am a California member of the Nation’s Top One Percent as well as a Million Dollar Advocate Forum member. Trial attorneys in this fellowship have won multiple case verdicts and settlements of over a million dollars.
View our comprehensive list of Past Verdicts and Settlements.
Since 1982 I have practiced personal injury law exclusively.
Q: Can you recommend a good chiropractor in Pittsburg?
A: Yes. These chiropractic clinics have good reviews on YELP.
Oranje Chiropractic, Inc.
2525 Railroad Avenue
Pittsburg, CA 94565, (925) 432-2225
Castillo Chiropractic, Inc.
184 East Leland Road
Pittsburg, CA 94565, (925) 432-2972
Q: Do you know any good auto repair shops in Pittsburg?
A: Yes. The auto repair shop listed below had several positive reviews on YELP.
Espinoza Auto Experts
540 Garcia Avenue
Pittsburg, CA 94565, (925) 432-8378
Q: Do you know the most dangerous intersections in Pittsburg?
A: Yes. The following intersections have the most accidents historically:
- Buchanan Rd and Loveridge Rd
- Buchanan Rd and Ventura Dr
- Buchanan Rd and Woodborough Pl
- Harbor St and East Leland Rd
- Jensen Dr and Ventura Dr
- Palo Verde Dr and Springhill Dr
- N Park Blvd and Loveridge Rd
- Railroad Ave and Alvarado Ave
- Railroad Ave and East Leland Rd
- Railroad Ave and RT 4
- Railroad Ave and West Leland Rd
- Rt 4 and Loveridge Rd
Photo by Lenka XIA on Pexels
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 8.28.19]