Patterson Truck Accident Lawyer
Large commercial trucks are essential for the economy as these vehicles transport trillions of dollars worth of cargo and goods across highways in the United States each year. However, the size and weight of big rigs may predispose others on the road to the risk of serious injury or even wrongful death in some extreme cases. Because of the significant impact tractor-trailer accidents can have on people’s lives, those who have been injured or lost a loved one in a crash may be entitled to financial compensation for their damages.
If you suffered an injury or lost a loved one in a big rig crash, you are not alone. Our experienced Patterson truck accident lawyers can protect your rights and recover fair compensation on your behalf. Contact us today to receive free, friendly case advice by calling (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400.
Our attorneys can take the pressure off you and your family after a catastrophic tractor-trailer accident. We can review your case, answer your questions, and explain your potential options for recovery. Should you decide to hire us to represent you and your best interests, we will handle negotiations with difficult insurance companies and trucking firms on your behalf. We will also provide the support you need throughout the personal injury claims process. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation with one of our truck accident lawyers in Patterson, CA.What are the Common Types of Injuries in a Tractor-Trailer Accident?
A motor vehicle accident involving a large commercial truck is much different from a crash involving two passenger vehicles. This is because big rig crashes can result in catastrophic injuries or even wrongful death due to their overwhelming size and weight. Such injuries may include:
- Broken bones
- Burn trauma
- Cervical sprain
- Internal trauma
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
Such accident-related injuries are often expensive to treat, and no one deserves to bear the burdens of someone else’s negligence. A successful personal injury case can help an injured party secure the settlement they need to pay for resulting damages. To learn more about the bodily injury claims process, watch the video below.What Types of Personal Injury Damages May Be Recovered?
The types of economic and non-economic damages recoverable in a personal injury claim for an 18-wheeler accident include:
- Past and future medical treatment expenses that are deemed reasonable and necessary
- Lost wages and loss of future earnings due to permanent injury or disability
- Loss of consortium for damage to the marital relationship because of truck accident-related injuries
- Mental anguish and emotional trauma from being involved in the tractor-trailer collision
- Pain and suffering for the physical and mental distress caused by getting hurt in a big rig crash
Punitive damages may also be sought in a personal injury case aside from economic and non-economic damages. These are generally awarded at the court’s discretion. They serve the sole purpose of punishing the at-fault party. Punitive damages are generally sought in cases where the at-fault party’s conduct was found to be particularly egregious, like excessive speeding or drunk driving.What Types of Damages are Recoverable in a Wrongful Death Truck Accident Case?
In a wrongful death claim, the following types of damages may be recovered for the loss of a loved one in a fatal big rig crash:
- Costs of accident-related medical treatment incurred before the decedent passed away
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of the decedent’s care, companionship, and protection for surviving family members
- Lost future financial support for the family if the deceased was the primary provider of the household
- Loss of benefits for survivors such as medical insurance or pension plans
- The value of services the decedent would have provided to relatives if not for the fatal incident like cleaning, childcare, cooking, etc.
Depending on the facts and circumstances of the case, several parties may be held financially accountable for injuries and damages incurred. These include:
- Truck drivers
- Trucking companies
- Commercial insurance companies
- Tractor-trailer manufacturers
- Cargo companies
Extensive investigation and research are often necessary to determine which party is at fault for a tractor-trailer accident. Seeking assistance from a legal professional may relieve you of that burden. An experienced truck accident lawyer in Patterson understands the process and will know the best way to recover compensation from those liable.How Long Do You Have to File a Lawsuit for a Big Rig Crash Case?
The actions you take in the days, weeks, and months following a big rig crash can have a significant impact on your personal injury case. Keep in mind that a lawsuit must be filed in civil court within two years from the date of a big rig crash, as outlined in the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1. The same filing deadline also applies to wrongful death truck accident cases.
In situations where the lawsuit is not filed within the two-year statute of limitations, the court may dismiss the case resulting in the claimant losing the right to recover damages. For this reason, it is essential to immediately work with a truck accident attorney in Patterson that has experience handling these types of cases.Benefits of Working with a Truck Accident Attorney
Most of the time during the personal injury claims process, the insurance company representing the at-fault party may not have your best interests at heart. The same can be said for your insurance carrier. The unfortunate reality is that insurers are focused on devaluing or denying bodily injury claims to protect their bottom line. By working with an experienced truck accident attorney in Patterson, your injury lawyer will:
- Provide you a better understanding of your case and all its aspects
- Conduct an independent investigation into the causes of the crash
- Send a letter of preservation of evidence to the trucker and trucking company
- Identify all potential sources for recovery
- Consult with expert witnesses such as economists and accident reconstruction specialists
- Handle communication with insurance companies and defense counsel on your behalf
- Negotiate a full settlement from the trucking company and insurance carrier
- Build a strong case for fair compensation to present in court if a fair settlement cannot be reached
At our personal injury law firm, we handle cases on a contingency fee basis. This is a payment arrangement that allows an individual to obtain legal representation without paying any attorney’s fees in advance. Under a contingency fee agreement, the client agrees to pay the lawyer a percentage of their award only if their attorney obtains fair compensation on their behalf.Contact a Patterson Truck Accident Attorney Today
A person who has suffered injuries because of a negligent truck driver or trucking company may be entitled to financial compensation for their damages. If you have been hurt in a motor vehicle accident involving a large commercial truck, hiring an experienced personal injury attorney is the best way to protect your best interests under California law. Our injury lawyers have decades of experience litigating truck accident cases in California. To set up a free consultation, call (209) 227-1931 or (800) 404-5400 today.
Image Source: By "Janeb13" via Pixabay
:ds [cs 1237] cha