Orangevale Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Orangevale is part of Sacramento County and is best known for incredible views of the Sierra Nevada mountain range. As a result, Orangevale is a popular area for bicyclists. Because of this, bicyclists are often forced to share certain roadways with cars, trucks and SUVs. This creates the risk of serious collisions occurring between a bicyclist and motorist on busy roads like Greenback Lane, Hazel Avenue, or Madison Avenue.
It is an unfortunate truth – bicyclists are at a much higher risk of suffering an injury in an accident with a motorist in California. California leads the country in the percentage of cyclists involved in accidents with motorists. In fact, only six states (including California) accounted for more than 50 percent of all cycling traffic death between 2010 and 2012. In California, approximately 338 bicyclists lost their lives in collisions with motorists in 2012, the highest total in the entire country.
What to Do If You are Involved in a Collision with a Motorist While Riding Your Bike in Orangevale
If you or a family member was hit by a motorist while riding your bike, there are certain actions you can take to help strengthen your potential personal injury claim, and your legal rights in general. Obviously, the first thing that should be on your mind after an accident is seeking medical attention and treatment for your injuries. The actions described below should only be taken if you are physically able:
- Make sure the police are contacted.
- Wait for the police to arrive and request that a report be filed
- Get the name, address, phone number, license number and auto insurance information of the motorist that hit you
- Get the names and contact information of any witnesses who may have seen the collision
- Look around to see if there are any convenience stores or other businesses that may have video surveillance footage of the accident
- Write down a summary of what occurred from your vantage point, including notes about road conditions and traffic conditions
- Take photographs of your injuries, your bicycle, and the street where the collision occurred
- Preserve all of your medical bills and the amount of time you were forced to miss work due to your injuries
Debilitating Injuries Suffered by Bicyclists
When a bicyclist is hit by a car, truck, or SUV, the bicyclist is oftentimes left seriously damaged. This is due to the fact that a bicycle offers little-to-no protection when a collision occurs. This is in stark contrast to a driver who has the luxury of a seatbelt and air bags. As a result, bicyclists may wind up suffering some, or a combination, of the following types of injuries:
- Brain trauma or open head wound
- Spinal cord injury leaving the bicyclist paralyzed
- Low back injury
- Shoulder and/or knee injury
- Lost limb
- Internal bleeding
Types of Financial Restitution that Can Be Pursued Through a Bicycle Injury Lawsuit
If you or a loved one takes legal action against the motorist that hit you, it is possible to pursue financial restitution for the following types of harms and losses stemming from the bicycle accident:
- Medical bills incurred due to the accident
- Lost wages that would have been earned had it not been for the accident
- Future income (if you are partially or totally disabled as a proximate result of the collision)
- Pain, suffering, mental anguish and other non-economic harms
Two Year Window to Take File a Lawsuit
In every state, there are certain laws in place that limit the amount of time an injured party has to file a lawsuit against the party they allege caused their injuries. This is known as the statute of limitations. Under California Code of Civil Procedure § 335.1, an injured bicyclist two years to file a lawsuit, starting from the date of the accident. This is why it is so important to take action sooner rather than later.
Bicycle Accident Lawyer in Orangevale
I’m Ed Smith, an Orangevale Bicycle Accident Lawyer. When a bicyclist is involved in an accident with a motor vehicle, the consequences can be devastating. Please do not hesitate to contact me right away if you or your loved one has been injured- your recovery could depend on prompt action. I can be reached at 916.921.6400, and online for free and friendly advice. Visit AutoAccident.com for more information.
I have served the Orangevale and Greater Sacramento region since 1982, assisting injured parties with their legal recovery efforts. Read up on my former clients’ reviews posted to: Avvo, Yelp and Google.
:sid rey [cs 837] > morgan 1.9.18