Oakland Truck Accident Lawyer
Big rigs are an important component of the economy in Oakland, California. Large commercial trucks travel millions of miles annually and are a common sight in the San Francisco Bay Area. These vehicles are responsible for the transportation of materials and goods throughout California. While 18-wheelers are crucial to commerce in the United States, they may present various risks to others on the road because of their overwhelming momentum, size, and weight. When the negligence of another party or entity caused a commercial truck accident in Oakland or elsewhere in Alameda County, you may be eligible for financial compensation for damages incurred.
If you were hurt or lost a family member in a big rig crash, seek assistance from a skilled attorney. At AutoAccident.com, our truck accident lawyers serving Oakland, California, are here to help you seek maximum compensation. Call (510) 631-0200 (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
Every big rig crash case is unique, but an attorney with extensive experience in commercial truck accidents will know how to navigate California state laws that govern the operation of 18-wheelers and federal laws that regulate the trucking industry. You will receive that when you work with our legal team from AutoAccident.com. At our personal injury law firm, we have been fighting for the rights of those injured and families who have lost loved ones in commercial trucking crashes since 1982. Contact our law office to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced Oakland truck accident attorneys to learn how we can help you through this difficult time.Can You Seek Damages in a Trucking Collision Case?
Anytime an individual suffers an injury, or a family loses a loved one due to the negligence of another party or entity, they may be able to seek compensation for their losses. This is possible through a bodily injury claim or a wrongful death action to seek economic and non-economic damages. These are generally filed against the insurer that represents the at-fault party. For more details, contact a top-rated Oakland trucking accident attorney.Who is Liable in an 18-Wheeler Crash Case?
Liability is not always clear in a commercial truck accident. The truck driver and trucking company may be held liable for damages stemming from a big rig crash. This will be based on the facts and circumstances involved in the matter. However, there may also be cases where other entities may be held accountable for a tractor-trailer collision. This may include:
- The company that loaded the 18-wheeler
- The manufacturer of the big rig and vehicle components
- The maintenance company responsible for the proper upkeep of the tractor-trailer
The most crucial aspect of a trucking collision case is identifying negligent parties and entities through independent investigations. This is a job for a skilled truck accident lawyer serving Oakland, California, to handle. This is one of the many reasons why it is essential to retain legal counsel.Benefits of Hiring an Attorney for an Oakland Truck Accident Case
After getting injured or losing a family member in a tractor-trailer collision in Alameda County, it is useful to work with an experienced Oakland truck accident lawyer. The right attorney will have the knowledge, skills, and resources to conduct a thorough investigation and build a strong case for maximum compensation. Here are some of the services you can expect from an accident attorney:
- Offer Free Consultations: When you are hurt or dealing with the loss of a family member following a big rig crash, it is helpful to know that an attorney will have your back every step of the way. The lawyer you select to handle your 18-wheeler accident case should offer free consultations. At our personal injury law office, we are proud to offer free case evaluations.
- Knowledge of State and Federal Law: If a tractor-trailer collision has injured you or deprived your family of a loved one, it is essential to work with an attorney who is familiar with both California state law and federal regulations that oversee the trucking industry. At AutoAccident.com, we have decades of combined experience handling truck accident cases in Alameda County and across California.
- Conduct an Independent Investigation: With many parties potentially involved in a commercial truck accident case, it may be challenging to determine who is liable for the incident. Fortunately, an experienced California personal injury lawyer will know the best way to proceed with an independent investigation of the big rig crash to gather and preserve evidence before it is lost or destroyed.
- Send a Letter of Preservation of Evidence: After an 18-wheeler collision, a letter of preservation of evidence must be sent to the defendants immediately following the incident. The purpose of this letter is to put the other side on notice of a potential commercial truck accident claim and holds them to their obligation to not alter or destroy any evidence that is potentially relevant to the matter.
- Negotiate an Insurance Settlement: The goal of a trucking accident attorney is to reach a favorable settlement with the insurance company that represents the negligent truck driver or trucking company. If all attempts at this have been exhausted, the injury lawyer will work to determine if a lawsuit is necessary to obtain the financial recovery their clients deserve and will have the resources to do so. A lawsuit may be filed in civil court in Alameda County to protect the statute of limitations and to proceed with litigation.
- Take the Case to Civil Court: When searching for the best truck accident lawyer in Oakland, California, an injured party or family of a decedent should consider working with an attorney with experience taking cases to civil court in Alameda County. Retaining legal counsel that has years of experience litigating commercial truck accident cases like yours will work to your benefit.
The goal of the insurer that represents the truck driver, trucking company, or another party is to settle claims for pennies on the dollar. Despite how understanding and helpful a claims adjuster may seem, they do not have the best interests of claimants at heart. They have a duty to protect the insurance carrier and the trucking company, not to protect you. That is why it is essential to retain legal counsel immediately following an 18-wheeler collision in Oakland, California. Learn how our legal team from AutoAccident.com can help you and your family by watching this video about us and our services.Oakland Truck Accident FAQ
Is it expensive to hire a lawyer for a trucking collision case?
Most personal injury attorneys in California, such as ours from AutoAccident.com, work on contingent fee agreements. This means that it costs nothing upfront to retain legal counsel for a commercial truck accident case. Attorney’s fees will only be due if a successful result is obtained on behalf of the client through a case verdict or settlement.
Is there a time limit on commercial truck accident cases in California?
There is a two-year deadline for personal injury and wrongful death cases arising from big rig crashes. This is set by the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 335.1. There are some notable exceptions to the two-year statute of limitations. For instance, if the matter names a municipality, such as the City of Oakland, a defendant, a six-month deadline applies per the California Government Code Section 911.2.
Can punitive damages be recovered in an Oakland big rig crash case?
The type and amount of compensation a claimant may receive will depend on the facts and circumstances surrounding the 18-wheeler collision. In some extreme cases, an attorney may seek punitive damages if there is clear evidence of a party acting egregiously and their actions causing harm to their client. Punitive damages are only intended to punish wrongdoers for their egregious conduct.
In the context of an Oakland truck accident, punitive damages may be sought from a trucker who was excessively speeding or driving while impaired. The California Civil Code 3294 outlines the recovery of punitive damages in detail. A thorough investigation into the incident to prove that the other side acted egregiously is necessary. This should be left to a skilled California truck accident lawyer to handle.Call a Trucking Accident Attorney Serving Oakland, California
When you hire our legal team from AutoAccident.com, our Oakland truck accident lawyers will work closely with you to seek the maximum compensation you deserve for your losses. We have decades of combined experience handling commercial trucking collision cases in California and have a history of successful verdicts and settlements to prove it. Schedule a meeting for free, friendly case advice with one of our skilled and compassionate attorneys by calling (510) 631-0200 (800) 404-5400.
Photograph Source: "markusspiske" via Pixabay ds llo [cs 1585]