Oakland Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Some of the best cycling routes in and around Oakland, California, include the SF Bay Trail and Lake Merritt Trail. While there are endless health benefits to cycling, there are also risks to riding a bicycle. Careless and negligent drivers may cause bicycle crashes resulting in traumatic injury or death to cyclists. When a recent crash injured you as a bicyclist, do not allow your rights to go unprotected and retain legal counsel immediately.
You deserve full financial recovery if you were injured in a traffic crash as a cyclist. Hiring a skilled Oakland bicycle accident lawyer from our law firm to handle your claim can help you obtain maximum compensation. Call for free, friendly case advice at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400.
At AutoAccident.com, one of our skilled and experienced bicycle accident lawyers serving Oakland, California, can handle all aspects of your case so you can focus on your recovery. We have the knowledge, expertise, and resources to seek full financial recovery on your behalf. Reach out to our personal injury law firm today to discuss the specifics of your cycling crash case in a free consultation.What Types of Damages are Recoverable in an Oakland Bicycle Accident Case?
In a personal injury claim for a car versus bicycle collision, economic and non-economic damages may be recovered. An experienced attorney can thoroughly evaluate what the maximum compensation should be in your case. Some of the common recoverable losses in these claims include:
- Costs of Medical Treatment: Medical expenses for bicycle-related injuries may be sought in a bodily injury claim. After your physician reviews your prognosis, an Oakland bicycle accident attorney may work with expert witnesses to determine the reasonable and necessary costs for past and future medical treatment.
- Loss of Earnings: Cyclists injured in roadway crashes are often left temporarily out of work. This may be for days, weeks, or even months following a cycling collision. An injury attorney will calculate the earnings lost because of the incident and other benefits like health insurance or vacation pay.
- Diminished Earning Potential: A vehicle versus bicycle accident may be so severe that cyclists cannot return to work. When injured parties cannot receive the same amount of earnings through their former line of work, a lawyer may include reduced earning capacity in their personal injury claim.
- Property Damage: Bicycles may sustain significant damage in a roadway crash. If a bicycle requires major repair or must be replaced after a cycling crash, an attorney may also include these costs. If clothing, glasses, or other personal property was damaged, a bicycle injury lawyer may also advise on reimbursement for these losses.
- Pain and Suffering: The injuries resulting from a car versus bicycle crash may be severe and inflict significant emotional distress and physical pain on cyclists. This is a loss recognized by the courts, and damages for pain and suffering may be available based on the facts and circumstances of the case.
These are common types of recoverable losses for cyclists injured in traffic collisions, and there may be others as well. After a California bicycle accident lawyer from AutoAccident.com reviews your case, they will advise on the specific types of compensation available in your claim. Learn more by setting up a free consultation.Importance of Contacting an Attorney After a Bicycle Accident in Oakland
Cyclists injured in roadway crashes through no fault of their own have much to deal with following the incident. They may be in physical pain and emotional distress from bicycle injuries, not to mention trying to figure out when they will return to work and how their medical bills will be covered. Among all these, injured bicyclists must contact an experienced Oakland personal injury lawyer for the following reasons:
- Advocate: If you do not retain legal counsel immediately following a car versus bicycle accident in Oakland, California, the insurance carrier representing the other side will likely contact you. The insurer may request a recorded statement, make a quick settlement offer, or attempt different strategies to devalue or deny your claim. Therefore, hiring an attorney immediately to advocate on your behalf is essential.
- Evidence: Some evidence may be lost or destroyed over time. This may include skid marks in the roadway, strewn vehicle parts at the crash scene, and more. Evidence is most effective when collected and preserved immediately following the incident. Your Oakland bicycle accident lawyer can get to work quickly by gathering evidence before it disappears.
- Documentation: When filing a bodily injury claim for a cycling crash, you want to be reimbursed for all losses in connection with the incident. As such, your economic and non-economic damages should be documented thoroughly. Your lawyer will ensure that all losses are documented in your case.
- Statute of Limitations: In California, injured parties generally have up to two years from the date of a bicycle collision to file a case in civil court. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations. Once it expires, claimants lose the right to seek compensation. Exceptions may apply, such as the involvement of a government entity. The time limit for a bicycle accident involving a public agency is reduced to six months or 180 days.
There are many reasons why injured cyclists should not delay contacting an experienced California personal injury lawyer after a bicycle accident in Oakland. Contacting an attorney immediately after a collision will prevent injured parties from making costly mistakes in their claim and ensure they are on a level playing field from start to finish.How Our Oakland Bicycle Accident Attorneys Can Help You
Since 1982, our personal injury law firm has assisted California residents, including Oaklanders, with their accident cases. We strive to provide excellent client service and favorable case resolutions. Some of the ways we can help you with your case include the following:
- Free Consultation: Our legal team from AutoAccident.com understands that injured parties may not be in a financial position to hire an attorney after a collision. That is why our personal injury law firm offers free, no-obligation consultations.
- Independent Investigation: Conducting a thorough investigation into a vehicle versus bicycle collision is no easy task and should be left to an attorney to handle. Our lawyers have the experience, skills, and resources to properly investigate your cycling crash.
- Identify Sources of Financial Recovery: After a bicycle accident in Oakland, California, more than one party may be liable for the incident. Your lawyer will identify all at-fault parties and potential sources of compensation.
- Document Bicycle-Related Losses: While you may have incurred losses from a cycling crash, you may not have kept records of them. Our California bicycle accident lawyers will collect documents substantiating past and future losses associated with the incident.
- Consult with Expert Witnesses: Our legal team has the resources to work with expert witnesses. Accident reconstruction experts, economists, and medical experts are some of the many expert witnesses we may retain to provide insight into a bicycle collision.
- Handle Insurance Settlement Negotiations: Insurance carriers often use defense tactics to reduce, delay, or deny bodily injury claims. Our bicycle injury attorneys will not stand for them. We will negotiate with the insurer to demand maximum compensation.
- Take the Case to Civil Court: When insurers and defense counsel are unwilling to agree to a settlement agreement, our legal team will take an Oakland bicycle accident case to court in Alameda County to present in front of a jury or judge if necessary.
Above are some ways our legal team from AutoAccident.com can help after a cycling crash in Oakland, California. Contact our personal injury law firm for a free consultation to receive assistance. Learn about us by watching this video.Oakland Bicycle Accident FAQ
Does insurance cover hit-and-run bicycle accidents?
Hit-and-run accidents are not uncommon in Oakland, California. According to the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS), approximately 496 hit-and-runs happened within Oakland city limits in 2020. If a bicyclist is injured in a hit-and-run, they may seek reimbursement through their uninsured motorist protection. In cases where an injured cyclist does not have auto insurance but lives with someone who has UM, coverage may extend to them.
What if the at-fault party has little to no liability coverage?
If the party responsible for a cycling crash has insufficient liability coverage, an injured cyclist may file an underinsured motorist claim for reimbursement of accident-related damages. An uninsured motorist claim may be in order if the negligent party has no auto insurance. Claims through UM and UIM protection may seek reimbursement for losses up to the policy’s limits. Contact an Oakland bicycle accident lawyer for more details.Contact a Bicycle Injury Attorney in Oakland, California
At AutoAccident.com, we have helped many Oaklanders obtain justice and full compensation. When you work with our law firm, we will review your rights as an injured party in California, investigate the cause of your cycling crash, and work toward securing maximum recovery on your behalf. Let our Oakland bicycle accident lawyers work for you and tell your story. Call (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
Picture Credit: “zhivko” on Pixabay ds [cs 1540] cha