Novato Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
Being physically active is essential for a healthy lifestyle. Studies show walking just 15 minutes a day is good for your heart. Novato residents learn to incorporate walking into their daily routine. Whether for work, school, or leisure, traveling by foot is a great and economical way to get around town.
Novato is also surrounded by some of the best hiking trails, such as the North Levee Trail and the Miwok Park Loop, which offer scenic views of the Bay Area. But while walking is a fun activity, it can also be dangerous around traffic. Pedestrians getting killed or seriously injured on California roadways are getting worse.
If you were involved in a pedestrian accident in Novato and suffered severe injuries, you may be entitled to file a compensation claim to cover your damages and financial losses. Contact our experienced injury lawyers at (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400 for a free case evaluation.California Pedestrian Accidents
The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) reported that California has one of the highest pedestrian accident rates in the nation. An estimated 485 pedestrians were killed in the first six months of 2020.
Pedestrian deaths increased by over 46 percent from 2010 to 2019. Pedestrian accidents account for more traffic deaths than in the last 30 years.Getting Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Novato
Our injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com have protected Novato pedestrians' rights to get fair compensation since 1982. In addition to providing helpful and compassionate support, our legal team keeps you updated on the progress of your claim. That way, you can concentrate on healing without stressing your financial burden.Types of Recoverable Damages in a Pedestrian Accident
Those injured in a pedestrian accident can file a claim for the following damages:
- All medical expenses related to the accident, including ambulance fees, medication, surgeries, and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages from being unable to work.
- Any future or lost earning capacity.
- Reconstructive surgery or prosthetic devices.
- A spouse can be compensated for the loss of consortium.
- Mental anguish, such as anxiety, insomnia, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Most pedestrian accidents occur due to driver negligence. Some common reasons include:
- Distracted driving: distractions such as texting, changing a radio, eating, or checking GPS can cause a pedestrian accident.
- Drunk drivers: intoxicated drivers have reduced reflexes and judgment, which can easily cause an accident involving a pedestrian.
- Fatigued driving: When a motorist is tired, their reaction behind the wheel is similar to that of a drunk driver.
- Improper backing: A driver who backs out of a driveway or parking lot without looking for a pedestrian can cause a severe accident.
- Running a red light: A motorist who runs a stop sign or traffic light can injure a pedestrian in the crosswalk.
- Speeding: The faster a motorist drives, the more likely a pedestrian will die if struck.
Pedestrians can stay safe and lower the risk of getting hurt in an accident. Follow the ten steps below to increase your safety:
- Follow all traffic rules and avoid jaywalking.
- Use crosswalks whenever you cross the road, especially at high-traffic intersections. Most injuries occur when pedestrians cross mid-block.
- Make eye contact with the driver before you cross busy streets. Don't assume a driver will stop at crosswalks.
- Keep your eyes open for oncoming cars as you cross, and be aware that some drivers may not see you even though you can see them.
- Avoid cellphone use when crossing the street to reduce risks and dangers.
- Use sidewalks when they are available. If sidewalks are not provided, walk facing oncoming traffic.
- Don't walk along highways or other roads where pedestrians are prohibited.
- Be careful walking past driveways, alleys, entrances, and exits. Most drivers have a limited view when backing out.
- Wear bright colors at night to make yourself more visible. Carrying a flashlight and wearing clothes with reflective materials can increase your visibility at night.
- Don't go out walking if you have been drinking. Alcohol can impair your ability to make good decisions and walk safely.
The YouTube video below discusses the importance of pedestrian safety.
California pedestrian traffic laws can be complex. An experienced accident attorney understands your challenges in a pedestrian accident. That's why we encourage you to consult with a lawyer who has handled many injury accident cases.
A pedestrian accident involves many factors and requires detailed examination. Our skilled Novato pedestrian accident lawyers will investigate the circumstances of your case and help you get the fair compensation you deserve.Contact Our Pedestrian Accident Lawyers in Novato Today
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident caused by negligence, our Novato pedestrian accident lawyers will fight to ensure you get the maximum compensation you need and deserve. Call our experienced legal team today at (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice. You can also reach us online.
Our law firm works on a contingency fee basis, which means you don't pay any lawyer fees unless we successfully win your case.
See our past cases on our Verdicts and Settlements page.