Novato Motorcycle Accident Attorney
With an incredible year-round climate and stunning scenic roads, it's no wonder why motorcyclists love traveling California's highways. Novato and the Bay Area are filled with winding streets, such as California Highway 1 and Highway 101, perfect for riding motorcycles most of the year. Unfortunately, riding a bike in the Golden State is not without risk, and motorcycle deaths represent 17 percent of all road fatalities in California.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle crash, contact our Novato motorcycle accident attorneys by calling (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400 for a free case evaluation.Motorcycle Collision Statistics in California
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 400 Californians are killed in motorcycle accidents yearly. Other data include:
- Riders between 25 and 34 years old are more likely to be involved in motorcycle accidents.
- Head injuries are the most common wounds suffered in a motorcycle crash.
- About 25 percent of motorcyclists killed in collisions had no legal motorcycle license.
- Less than 60 percent of riders killed in crashes were wearing helmets.
- Motorcycle accidents increase in the summer season.
Although riding a motorcycle is a popular activity, getting into an accident is traumatic, and injuries can be permanent. Some common types of damages include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Road rash
- Back injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
Most accidents are caused by other motorists, especially when the driver is unaware of a motorcyclist's speed or fails to obey the rules of the road. Some common types of driver negligence in motorcycle accidents include:
- Impaired motorists: Impaired motorists can collide with motorcyclists due to slower reflexes that prevent them from braking or swerving in time to avoid an accident.
- Unsafe Speed: A speeding motorist will have less time to stop or slow down when driving too fast.
- Improper Turn: Many accidents are caused by wrong turning. Cars making left-hand turns drive about 42 percent of all deadly motorcycle accidents.
- Distracted Driving: Instead of focusing on driving, many motorists are talking on the phone, texting, or eating.
- Following Too Closely: When motorists follow too closely, they can easily collide with bikers or other cars around them.
- Car Doors: A motorcyclist can drive straight into a car door if a passenger opens it without looking behind them. Many riders are thrown off their bike, resulting in serious injuries.
Aside from driver negligence, other causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Dangerous Roads: Defects on the road can sometimes cause motorcycle accidents. Due to their smaller size and less stability, motorcycles often have more issues with road defects than other motor vehicles.
- Defective or Malfunction Motorcycles: When a motorcycle malfunctions, even the most experienced biker can lose control and end up crashing.
Watch the YouTube video below to understand why motorcyclists are more likely to be seriously hurt in an accident.What To Do After a Motorcycle Crash
What you do after a motorcycle accident depends on the severity of your injuries. You must seek medical care immediately if you have suffered a broken bone. If your injuries are minor, it's essential to stay at the scene to collect information from the driver involved in the collision. Below are several steps to take:
- Call 911 to get the police to the accident scene and write a traffic report.
- Get contact information from all parties involved in the crash.
- Take photos of your injuries, the accident scene, roadway marks, and bike damage.
- Get contact information and a statement from witnesses.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- See a doctor for your injuries, even if you think they are minor.
- Call an experienced injury lawyer to discuss your legal options.
The physical and financial damages sustained in a motorcycle accident can be intense. Contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer is a crucial step in dealing with the consequences of a crash. You should talk to an accident attorney to understand your legal rights if you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash. You may be entitled to receive compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, damaged property, pain and suffering, and other costs relating to your accident.Call Our Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Novato, CA
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, call our experienced Novato motorcycle accident lawyers today for free, friendly advice at (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400. Our legal team will assist you through this challenging time and help you every step of the way.
Our law firm has had a track record of successfully obtaining verdicts and settlements for our injured clients in Northern California since 1982.
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy [cha 1.20.23]
cha [cs 846] bw