Novato Motorcycle Accident Attorney
With an incredible year-round climate and stunning scenic roads, it's no wonder why motorcyclists love traveling California's highways. Novato and the Bay Area are filled with winding roads, such as California Highway 1 and Highway 101, that are perfect for riding motorcycles during most of the year. Unfortunately, riding a bike in the Golden State is not without risk. Motorcycle deaths represent 17 percent of all road fatalities in California.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident, reach out to our Novato motorcycle accident attorneys by calling (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400 for a free case evaluation.Motorcycle Accident Statistics in California
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), about 400 Californians are killed in motorcycle accidents each year. Other data include:
- Riders between 25 to 34 years old are more likely to be involved in a motorcycle accident.
- Head injuries are the most common wounds suffered in a motorcycle crash.
- About 25 percent of motorcyclists killed in collisions did not have a legal motorcycle license.
- Less than 60 percent of motorcyclists killed in crashes were wearing helmets.
- Motorcycle accidents increase in the summer season.
Although riding a motorcycle is a popular activity, getting into an accident is traumatic, and injuries can be permanent. Some common types of damages include:
- Broken bones
- Head injuries
- Road rash
- Back injuries
- Shoulder dislocations
- Loss of limbs
- Spinal cord injuries
The majority of accidents are caused by other motorists, especially in cases where the driver is not aware of a motorcyclist's speed or fails to obey the rules of the road. Some common types of driver negligence in motorcycle accidents include:
- Impaired motorists: Impaired motorists can collide with motorcyclists due to slower reflexes that prevent them from braking or swerving in time to avoid an accident.
- Unsafe Speed: A speeding motorist will have less time to stop or slow down when driving too fast.
- Improper Turn: Many accidents are caused by improper turning. Cars making left-hand turns cause about 42 percent of all deadly motorcycle accidents.
- Distracted Driving: Instead of focusing on driving, many motorists are talking on the phone, texting, or eating.
- Following Too Closely: When motorists follow too closely, they can easily collide with bikers or other cars around them.
- Car Doors: A motorcyclist can drive straight into a car door if a vehicle passenger opens a door without looking behind them. Many riders are thrown off their bike, resulting in serious injuries.
Aside from driver negligence, other causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Dangerous Roads: Defects on the road can sometimes cause motorcycle accidents. Due to their smaller size and less stability, motorcycles often have more issues with road defects than other motor vehicles.
- Defective or Malfunction Motorcycles: When a motorcycle malfunctions, even the most experienced biker can lose control and end up crashing.
Watch the YouTube video below to understand why motorcyclists are more likely to be seriously hurt in an accident.What To Do After a Motorcycle Accident
What you do after a motorcycle accident depends on the severity of your injuries. If you have suffered a broken bone, you must seek medical care right away. If your injuries are minor, it's essential to stay at the scene to collect information from the driver involved in the collision. Below are several steps to take:
- Call 911 to get the police out to the accident scene and write a traffic report.
- Get contact information from all parties involved in the crash.
- Take photos of your injuries, the accident scene, roadway marks, and damages to your bike.
- Get contact information and a statement from witnesses.
- Report the accident to your insurance company.
- See a doctor for your injuries, even if you think they are minor.
- Call an experienced injury lawyer to discuss your legal options.
The physical and financial damages sustained in a motorcycle accident can be intense. Contacting a motorcycle accident lawyer is a crucial step in dealing with the consequences of an accident. If you have been hurt in a motorcycle crash, you should talk to an attorney to understand your legal rights. You may be entitled to receive compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, damaged property, pain and suffering, and other costs relating to your accident.Motorcycle Accident Attorneys in Novato
If you or a loved one was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, call our experienced Novato motorcycle accident attorneys today for free, friendly advice at (415) 521-2515 or (800) 404-5400. Our legal team will assist you through this challenging time and help you every step of the way.
Our law firm has had a track record of successfully obtaining verdicts and settlements for our injured clients in Northern California since 1982.
cha [cs 842] bw