Newark Wrongful Death Lawyer
The loss of a close relative in a sudden tragedy may leave surviving family members stressed and overwhelmed. In addition to grief, survivors may also be dealing with significant financial hardship from unexpected expenses and losses. Surviving family members facing such a situation should not be burdened with debt because of another party's negligence or recklessness. Holding the other side accountable starts with bringing a wrongful death claim forward. If your family has recently lost a loved one, an experienced attorney can help you understand the appropriate steps to take and whether you have grounds for a wrongful death action.
Calling a skilled Newark wrongful death attorney to better understand your options is essential to obtaining justice and closure. Our legal team from AutoAccident.com has helped families in situations like yours since 1982. Call for free, friendly case advice at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400.
Every day, our skilled wrongful death attorneys from AutoAccident.com help California families, including those in Newark, hold negligent parties accountable. We go the extra mile for our clients to provide regular case updates and meet their goals. While legal action may be the least of your concerns during this trying time, compensation from a wrongful death claim may provide your family with the resources needed for financial stability and help you all move forward. We will provide free, friendly advice to help you make well-informed choices to protect your future. Contact our law office for a free consultation to learn how we can help and the services we offer.What is Wrongful Death?
In California, wrongful death is a legal term used in reference to a loss of life that has occurred from an incident caused by carelessness or negligence. Surviving family members may file a wrongful death action against a negligent party to obtain financial compensation for their loss. This civil case seeks economic and non-economic damages on behalf of affected survivors. While no amount of money may bring a lost family member back, it may help provide survivors with a sense of closure.
To prevail in a wrongful death case, the family must provide clear and compelling evidence demonstrating the duty of care owed to their loved one, breach of duty, direct cause, and the resulting damages. For instance, a driver exceeding the posted speed limit is expected to foresee that their unsafe behavior may lead to a catastrophic traffic collision. If a fatal accident occurs, the family may hold the at-fault motorist liable by bringing a wrongful death claim against them and their insurer.Who Can File for Wrongful Death in California?
The California Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60 specifies which relatives have priority in filing for wrongful death. This usually includes the deceased's children, domestic partner, or spouse. Others may be eligible for filing if the decedent was not survived by these specific relatives. For instance, parents and other relatives financially dependent on the deceased may bring a claim forward. Determine your eligibility by contacting a top-rated wrongful death attorney in Newark, California.What Can an Attorney Do for You and Your Wrongful Death Case?
When carelessness or negligence leads to the loss of a close relative, an attorney can help your family hold the other side accountable in a wrongful death claim. The skilled accident lawyers from our law office serve clients in many ways, including:
- Listening to Your Story: When you contact a lawyer from our law firm for a free consultation, they will take the time to understand how the incident occurred, what damages your family suffered, and the reasons behind your decision to take legal action. An attorney will answer your questions and listen to your concerns. They will also determine if you have a case and discuss your options for financial recovery. As a surviving family member, you can depend on your Newark wrongful death attorney to advise you on what to expect from your case as it moves forward.
- Working on Contingency: After the unexpected loss of a loved one, a lawyer will understand that your family may be experiencing financial hardship. When you work with our law office, we will handle your case on a contingent fee basis. Your family will not have any upfront fees or out-of-pocket costs. Attorney's fees will not be charged unless we obtain a successful result for your family through a jury award or insurance settlement.
- Conducting an Independent Investigation: An attorney with the right skills, experience, and resources will work with expert witnesses as needed to determine how the fatal incident occurred and which parties should be held liable. A lawyer will determine whether distracted driving, DUI, speeding, reckless driving, or other negligent behavior contributed to the accident and gather evidence to build your wrongful death claim. Your family can also depend on your attorney to investigate whether other parties may be held accountable, such as a government entity for a road defect or a vehicle manufacturer for faulty auto components.
- Identifying Sources of Financial Compensation: A top-rated wrongful death lawyer from Newark, CA, will work to identify all potential sources of the financial recovery that may reimburse your family for damages incurred. California law requires drivers to have liability coverage that pays for injury/death to another party and damage to others' property and vehicles. If the party responsible for the fatal incident does not carry auto insurance or has insufficient coverage, a family may have recourse in such a situation if they have uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.
- Working with Insurance Companies: Insurers are in the business of paying as little as possible on claims to protect profit margins. This may come at the cost of families like yours. Therefore, it is essential to have a Newark wrongful death lawyer on your side who will ensure your family does not settle for less than what you all deserve. Your injury attorney will send a demand letter to the appropriate insurers to seek maximum financial recovery on your family's behalf.
- Taking the Case to Court: Your attorney will also file all required documents with the courts and the insurance companies to ensure your case moves forward without issue. This includes protecting the statute of limitations which is generally two years for wrongful death cases per CCP 335.1. Conversely, it may be reduced to 180 days if a government entity is named a defendant. If a reasonable settlement is not reached with the other side, your lawyer will be prepared to take your case to civil court for a judge or jury to decide on an award that is in your family's favor.
When an accident claims the life of a loved one, it is helpful to know that help is available and just a phone call away. For over three decades, the legal team from AutoAccident.com has helped surviving family members obtain justice and a sense of closure. Learn more about our services through this video.Contact a Wrongful Death Attorney in Newark, California
If a close relative has passed away suddenly at the hands of another party in California, contact the skilled wrongful death lawyers from AutoAccident.com at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400. Our legal team represents families who have lost loved ones in accidents in Newark and across Alameda County. We are here for your family and available anytime to provide compassionate, free, and friendly advice. Our commitment to client success is represented in our history of verdicts and settlements.
Picture Source: "PavelDanilyuk" on Pexels
:ds [cs 1268] bw