Napa Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Riding a bicycle is a popular and economical way for Napa residents to get around town, exercise, and enjoy what nature has to offer. Some people use bicycles to get to work and for leisure. However, bicycle riders are injured or killed every year when they are involved in an accident with a motor vehicle or truck. With the help of an experienced lawyer, a bicyclist injured by a negligent driver can obtain compensation to pay for their lost time at work, medical costs, and their pain and suffering.Why You Need a Lawyer Following a Bicycle Accident
Bicycle accidents cause serious injuries, and when you face high medical bills and other expenses, you can benefit from the guidance and help of an experienced attorney. A bicycle accident with another vehicle can be complicated, especially if the driver is at fault but trying to avoid liability. Third parties can also be involved, such as the insurance company for the driver or their employer if the accident happened during business hours. At AutoAccident.com, we have handled numerous bicycle accidents and have the experience you need when it comes to collecting fair compensation for your bicycle injury.Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, more bicycle riders and pedestrians died in accidents in 2018 than in the three previous decades and represented a 6.3 percent increase. Although bicycle riders only represent around 1 percent of the number of vehicles on the roadway, they face a high risk of serious injuries if they are involved in a collision, especially with a motor vehicle.How Motor Vehicles Contribute to Bicyclist Accidents
When a motorist is involved in a collision with a bicyclist, their response is that they did not see the cyclist. However, it is the motorist’s responsibility to watch for bicycle riders. When negligence causes a collision, they can be held liable for any injuries caused to the rider or wrongful death. Some of how a motorist can be negligent and become involved in an accident with a bicycle rider include:
- The bicycle rider is struck by a motorist turning left. Many bicycle accidents happen this way when a vehicle turns left and doesn’t spot the oncoming bicyclist. If the bicycle rider and motorist move in opposite directions, the driver is less likely to spot them. However, the motorist has the responsibility to look carefully before turning.
- A motorist is turning right and strikes a bicycle rider. This happens if the motorist is careless or forgets to check for a bicycle rider before turning. Drivers who fail to see a bicycle rider who has the right of way are negligent if they cause an accident.
- A vehicle pulls out from a parking lot or side street and strikes a bicyclist. Again, the motorist has a responsibility to ensure that the way is clear before pulling out.
- A driver parks on the side of the street and opens their car door without looking. This type of accident can cause injuries to a bicycle rider because they can be thrown from their bike, causing serious head injuries, bone fractures, and other trauma.
- A motorist hits a bicycle rider in the rear. Bicyclists also get involved in rear-end collisions with motor vehicles. These types of accidents often occur if the motorist is driving distracted, fatigued, or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Ignoring the three-foot rule causes many bicycle accidents. In California, all motorists are required to keep a three-foot distance from a bicycle rider. If a driver comes too close to a rider and causes an accident, this is a form of negligence.
Stay safe on the road by learning some bicycle safety tips in the video below.What You Can Recover in a Napa Bicycle Accident
If you’ve been injured by a negligent motorist in a bicycle accident, you can face high medical bills and other expenses and cannot work, so you face lost wages. Under California personal injury law, someone who has been injured by a negligent person or entity has the legal right to pursue compensation. Damages that your Napa bicycle accident attorney can recover include:
- Medical expenses, including prescriptions, hospitalization, rehabilitation, home health care, and future costs of medical care
- Lost wages, including bonuses
- Compensation for a permanent injury such as scarring or disfigurement
- Loss of consortium, emotional distress, psychological trauma, and other areas that affect a person’s quality of life
- In some cases, punitive damages are allowed if the injury was intentional or resulted from egregious negligence
Our investigators are sent to the site of a Napa bicycle accident right away to uncover evidence to support your claim. They perform accident reconstruction, which is widely used by insurance companies and courts to show how a collision occurred and placement of the vehicle and pedestrian. The investigators examine the report by the police for errors and speak to the witnesses looking for corroborative statements. Business and traffic cameras are a good source because they might have captured the accident on tape. Clues found on the roadway are evidence such as skid marks or lack of them, which shows whether or not the driver tried to stop. A lack of tread marks can indicate a distracted driver, inebriated or speeding, and other signs of negligence. When the evidence is gathered together, our lawyers take over to construct a strong case for compensation in favor of our client. This evidence is useful when negotiating with the insurance company or presenting a case in court.Bicycle Accident Lawyers in Napa, CA
Call our experienced Napa bicycle accident lawyers for free and friendly advice if you were injured in a bicycle accident by a negligent motorist. We can be reached at (707) 564-1900 or (800) 404-5400 if you are outside the area code.
Visit the following links to see client reviews and our previous cases:
Editor's Note: This page has been updated for accuracy and relevancy. [cha 6.9.21]
Photo Attribution: by Leonardo Vasquez on Pexels
:cd llo [cs 1,080]