Motorcyclist Fatality Occurs on Berkeley Highway
A motorcyclist fatality occurred in Berkeley on November 17 after the rider was struck by at least one vehicle. The collision happened on westbound Interstate 80 near the on-ramp for Gilman Street at about 1:30 p.m., causing a SigAlert to be called. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) said the rider died at the accident scene, and it appeared that at least one vehicle had struck them.Authorities Seeking Information from the Public
The identity of the deceased rider is being withheld until the family has been notified by the County Coroner's Office. Three lanes along the interstate remained closed to traffic for about an hour and a half as the investigation was conducted into the cause of the fatal crash. Those with information about the accident are requested to phone the Oakland bureau of the CHP at (510) 957-8247.The Impact of a Motorcycle Fatality on the Family
Motor motorcycle riders face many road hazards, so it is natural that family members worry about them. After losing a loved one in a motorcyclist fatality, they wonder what truly transpired. Facts and evidence should not be lost or thrown away after an accident, causing family members to feel helpless.Motorcycle Accident Investigations
In motorcycle cases, our firm does not wait for an official account of the accident before taking action, and an investigation is conducted by our own investigators to determine liability. Besides looking for information in the area, we also collect surveillance camera footage if it's available.
Reenacting vehicle placement and interviewing witnesses are some of the ways our investigators' accident reconstruction techniques can be used to establish fault. Our legal team will use our collected information to build a strong case against the party responsible.The Dangers Motorcyclists Face on the Road
Motorcycle riders are susceptible to severe injuries or death when they crash, regardless of how well-prepared they are. They are usually caused by the following factors:
- The long stopping distances of speeders and the possibility of losing control of their vehicles make them dangerous on the road for everyone, which can lead to a motorcyclist fatality.
- Distracted drivers put themself and others at risk by texting, talking on the phone, and adjusting the radio.
- Motorists often collide with a motorcycle rider by turning in front of them.
- Roads that are poorly maintained can lead to motorcycle accidents. Potholes, disruptions in the pavement, and inadequate lighting can lead to motorcycle accidents caused by a lack of government maintenance. If a motorcyclist's fatality occurs due to poor maintenance on a government-maintained property, it usually is possible to sue. Since the deadline to file a claim is six months, getting assistance from an attorney may be helpful.
- Defective parts can cause motorcycle accidents. The motorcycle can be examined for defects by engineers if it is retained. The manufacturer could be sued for product liability if the defect caused the accident.
When a family has lost their loved one in an accident caused by a negligent motorist, they may be able to recover compensation. We'll provide free and friendly advice when you call (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400. For a free consultation with our injury lawyers, we can meet in person or virtually to discuss your case and how compensation can be recovered.